Teachers and activity level

Options
Do any teachers on here change their activity level to sedentary in the summer? I usually keep my level to lightly active during the school year. I definitely keep working out in the summer, even maybe more since I have more time to take more classes. But I know I'm definitely not nearly as active the rest of the time. There are days here and there where I'm shopping or something and lightly active would be appropriate, but a regular summer day involves a lot of me being at home watching TV or reading. Any input from fellow teachers?

Replies

• lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, I change it during the summer.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wear an activity tracking device, so I keep mine set on sedentary. I think I have more "purposefully active" days in the summer--taking walks, etc., than during the school year.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I had mine set to 'lightly active' previously but I'm planning to keep it set at 'sedentary' and then count any steps recorded over 5k as exercise. I have a tracker now, but I also have a step-counter app on my phone, and that's what I'd been using.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nah. My first week off I was running errands so my steps were even higher than when I was teaching, my second week was Puerto Rico so I didn't care. This week I'm REALLY home and we'll see. I'd rather just try to keep active before I go lowering my activity. Today I'll walk to the community pool and back, and try to go to a class at the gym for some calorie burn. What do I do tomorrow? lol this is my first summer off.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Go to the library! Is there a nearby university? Maybe they have classes that you could sit in on. Do you play an instrument? There may be jam groups you could join. Or you could just go to concerts if you like music. You could volunteer at an animal shelter, or a food pantry, or the local Y if you have one. Hiking. Biking. Picnics. Setting up a favorite-party-game night with friends. Explore areas of your community that you're not familiar with.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    No because I'm just as active, if not more so, during the summer. I keep myself set to sedentary and let my Fitbit do all the adjusting anyway. I guess in your case you can change the level and reassess after a couple of weeks based on your losses.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Go to the library! Is there a nearby university? Maybe they have classes that you could sit in on. Do you play an instrument? There may be jam groups you could join. Or you could just go to concerts if you like music. You could volunteer at an animal shelter, or a food pantry, or the local Y if you have one. Hiking. Biking. Picnics. Setting up a favorite-party-game night with friends. Explore areas of your community that you're not familiar with.

Oh you are a go-getter. Lol I'm going to continue drinking coffee in bed and watching SVU for a little longer.

I should volunteer though, you're right. I'm going to look.
  • kellymccrea1
    kellymccrea1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Oh you are a go-getter. Lol I'm going to continue drinking coffee in bed and watching SVU for a little longer.

I should volunteer though, you're right. I'm going to look.

Lol you sound like me. I ENJOY some sitting around. But I probably need to be a bit more generally active outside of my workout classes. Thanks everyone. I think I'll set mine to sedentary for the remainder of the summer and then back to lightly active when school starts. With being less active and indulging on vacation and at random events, I've been maintaining instead of losing. Which is ok. Thanks again for the input.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    *laugh* I am, kind of... but that's my list of things I didn't actually get to do this summer XD
  • Creativityfailure
    Creativityfailure Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes, I changed mine to sedentary for the summer as well. Even though I do a lot more exercise during the summer, I also spend more time sitting on a typical day, so I'm not moving around as much except for the exercise (which shouldn't really be counted toward your typical daily activity level anyway, since mfp factors that in separately).
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Honestly when I need to lose weight I have to get aggressive anyway. I'm going to lose on 1200 calories no matter what activity level I am. I just like quick mini-cuts.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am working summer school so nothing changes for me. Also I keep physically active outside of class walking and household chores and such.
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm set to active and meet the step requirement easily during the school year. I take an extra walk on the morning to keep the same activity level in the summer. Winter vacations are the time when I have a hard time meeting my activity level
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm always set to sedantary and let my activity tracker sort it out.

I'm definitely a lazy summer holiday teacher - 12K steps during term time, under 2K on holiday. Eeek.