Accurate weight scales?

Options
Hello,

Last week I bought a scale at Walmart (was around $25, one of those Taylor made scales or whatever the brand is) and it gives me weight that is all over the place and very inaccurate. My question is what is a good, accurate scale that is relatively cheap? Using this to lose weight and track progress so let me know!

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a walmart Taylor scale and it's on the dot. Do you have one of those countertops that is tile or rough? Would you consider it taking it back and getting it replaced (you could have a defective one). Once you press on, you can't touch it until it displays. Could it be dirty? Batteries dying?
    I've had my Taylor from walmart for years. Not el-cheapo brand. Don't move it while measuring things.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kpb5370 wrote: »
    Hello,

Last week I bought a scale at Walmart (was around $25, one of those Taylor made scales or whatever the brand is) and it gives me weight that is all over the place and very inaccurate. My question is what is a good, accurate scale that is relatively cheap? Using this to lose weight and track progress so let me know!

How often are you weighing? How much is the scale fluctuating?

Replace the battery before you replace the scale. Weigh in once a day (same time) and assume there could be some water weight fluctuation. Women - up to 5 pounds (time of month). But other culprits are: higher sodium days, sore muscles, and waste cycle.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Oh a body weight scale. Is the scale on carpet? On a tile floor? If so, find a board. Do you have hand weights? Turn the scale on and put the hand weight on it.
  • MiViVe
    MiViVe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For some scales they need to calibrate. I lean mine against the wall when I'm not using it, so it gets all wonky if I just step on it once.

Take out the battery, step on it very slowly, step off, wait 10 seconds or so, then step back on. That final weight should be fairly accurate.
  • kpb5370
    kpb5370 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a walmart Taylor scale and it's on the dot. Do you have one of those countertops that is tile or rough? Would you consider it taking it back and getting it replaced (you could have a defective one). Once you press on, you can't touch it until it displays. Could it be dirty? Batteries dying?
    I've had my Taylor from walmart for years. Not el-cheapo brand. Don't move it while measuring things.

I just got it last week, I try to weigh in every morning and the weight is spot on for my brother who also uses it but it seems to be around 30-35 pounds less for me now than it was last week which is impossible. If I step on to get my weight twice it just keeps calculating and can be anywhere from 20-25 pounds different from the last weighing time