LADIES, PLEASE! Working Out Tips... Please Read Description! X_X

Options
Ladies... Its shark week once again xD I never feel like working out this time of the month... My tummy usually knots up and I feel like I'm going to hurl almost constantly... I was planning on going to the gym tonight and dropping my babysitting responsibilities on my friend, but now I'm not sure how great of an idea this is.

Please, how do you deal with cramps and working out? Do you include/exclude any exercises you would normally do?? Or do you skip the gym, curl up at home, and just eat healthy to continue your lifestyle???

Replies

• Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Yoga or Pilates? Stretching may help unknot the knotness :D
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Working out as normal has always helped any cramps I get and it generally helps my mood when otherwise I would be cranky and irritable.
  • LinserSE
    LinserSE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, I think all things considered I'll just go later in the week... Might feel a little less on edge tomorrow... Maybe I'll just take the kids and the doge on a walk... Yoga sounds relaxing though... Kids would probably pick fun at me xD
    cmh308 wrote: »
    Working out as normal has always helped any cramps I get and it generally helps my mood when otherwise I would be cranky and irritable.
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    Yoga or Pilates? Stretching may help unknot the knotness :D
    I try to crack on with my exercises, they actually help with cramps most of the time. If I feel really bleurgh I might do something less intensive like some yoga or a walk.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find that doing core strengthening regularly helps with the cramps when they hit. It doesn't always eliminate them, but they're manageable enough that I 1) can keep up with the exercise 2) keep within my calories. (I crave salt and carbs at that time. I find it works best for me to ignore my macros and eat what I feel like eating within my calories. I also eat back up to 75% of my exercise burns instead of my usual 50).
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Maybe going for a long walk instead of the gym. Just something a little less intensity, but still gets you moving?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cmh308 wrote: »

This^
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I continue to work out. If its that bad I take Aleve. Since I have been working out 4-5 days a week I no longer get most of the PMS symptoms and rare cramps.
  • LinserSE
    Options
    I find that doing core strengthening regularly helps with the cramps when they hit. It doesn't always eliminate them, but they're manageable enough that I 1) can keep up with the exercise 2) keep within my calories. (I crave salt and carbs at that time. I find it works best for me to ignore my macros and eat what I feel like eating within my calories. I also eat back up to 75% of my exercise burns instead of my usual 50).

Hmm, maybe I'll do come sit-ups and planks and some at-home things to start out with... Girl, I feel the same way about the salt and eating what you like but still being conscious thing xD and huh, last parts interesting, I usually don't eat any of my workout calories back so I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the response!(:
  • LinserSE
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I continue to work out. If its that bad I take Aleve. Since I have been working out 4-5 days a week I no longer get most of the PMS symptoms and rare cramps.

Wow, thats awesome! I think I'll stick to a walk, some yoga and some core tonight and then I'll try to go hard tomorrow, I'td be awesome if the gym would make the pain subside in general, really cool, thanks a lot!(:
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :D Never heard it called 'shark week' before lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends what you're dealing with. Back in my teens I'd literally be writhing around in pain with pain sweats and nearly vomiting. You couldn't have paid me to so much as look at a sports bra.

Now I just keep on going. I have one markedly weak day per cycle where my workout just generally bombs, if I remember it's that day I try to remember to schedule it as a rest day because it's just no fun. Otherwise nothing really changes.

I think severity and how effective pain killers are for you and your period pain make it a really individual thing.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have pretty bad symptoms. Why not see your OB/Gyn and get on a BC method that will lessen or stop your periods altogether?
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've learned that between hospitalizations, shark week, extra kidlets in the house, and 60 hour workweeks, my workouts MUST be one thing I stick to! I actually feel much better if I run through that time of the month. After a run, I usually have forgotten all about the cramps.
  • tphester22
    tphester22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, when I don't feel like going out, housework can be good exercise. Gardening too. That way you don't give the people at the gym dirty looks and you can stay close to the facilities too. ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think this is really highly personalized - PMS symptom severity can vary greatly from woman to woman and one month to the next. Plus people have different pain tolerances.

My personal philosophy is - if the cramps would keep me from meeting a friend for lunch, then I'm fine skipping a workout because of them. But if I'm managing to do everything else I want/need to do, then I can't really use PMS as an excuse not to workout.

I will say I eat at maintenance for 2 or 3 days at my TOM, and I think it actually helps me stay on my workout schedule - I have more energy and I'm less hangry. I do still have a month every once and awhile where I just can't bring myself to get the workout in.

And if your cramps are bad enough that they are keeping you from living your life for a few days every month, try different OTC meds and talk to your doctor about it. Some women unfortunately won't be able to find relief, but there is no reason in this day and age to just accept that you are going to feel like crap at your TOM :drinker:
  • LinserSE
    Options
    Sounds like you have pretty bad symptoms. Why not see your OB/Gyn and get on a BC method that will lessen or stop your periods altogether?

I've never been and I'm scared to go xD my cycles are pretty irregular as well, but when they come, I vomit and I feel like my intestines are in a knife fight for a few days :c
  • LinserSE
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think this is really highly personalized - PMS symptom severity can vary greatly from woman to woman and one month to the next. Plus people have different pain tolerances.

My personal philosophy is - if the cramps would keep me from meeting a friend for lunch, then I'm fine skipping a workout because of them. But if I'm managing to do everything else I want/need to do, then I can't really use PMS as an excuse not to workout.

I will say I eat at maintenance for 2 or 3 days at my TOM, and I think it actually helps me stay on my workout schedule - I have more energy and I'm less hangry. I do still have a month every once and awhile where I just can't bring myself to get the workout in.

And if your cramps are bad enough that they are keeping you from living your life for a few days every month, try different OTC meds and talk to your doctor about it. Some women unfortunately won't be able to find relief, but there is no reason in this day and age to just accept that you are going to feel like crap at your TOM :drinker:

Haha, thats a really good way to look at it (: I'm going to work and suffering but then I'm just going home and laying down until I have to take the kids to super or cook for them:c which ik it a terrible way to live, but its just so painful to do literally anything... Ibuprofen helps for :30 minutes or so and then its right back to constant pain -_- I did go for a walk yesterday.. and I greatly regretted it.. I was just hot, irritable, and in pain >.< idk what to dooo, I dont want to do anything and yet ik I should be -__-
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I continue to work out, but I tend to do lower intensity, at least until some of the cramping subsides (usually within the first fifteen minutes). Last time I used weights 5-10 pounds lighter than usual because my energy was sapped and I didn't want to compromise on form. I was still glad I worked out. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i take it way easier during that TOM. I'll lift but usually focus on accessories and lower the weight pretty significantly.

I generally avoid the major lifts (deadlifts and squats and hip thrusts in particular) just because i'm prone to tampon leakage when exerting myself at near-maximal force.

So... i usually do machines, some freeweight accessory lifts, and then i'll walk. On the heaviest day i'll just walk only.