Spartan race- sprint

Options
Hey guys! Got a Spartan Race in 9 months.
Any experience/ advice? How did you train? What worked well and what mistakes did you make/ learn from?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @bdavis1990 ........give us more info about your current physical fitness! Which race are you doing? What are you nervous about? What are your goals for the race?

OCR tests your strength and endurace. You will want to increase your ability to run and climb steep slopes, grip strength, and overall body awareness. I find most first time OCR goers tend to overthink the obstacles. They make up such a small percentage of the race, that focusing on your cardio will get you through the race much easier. Not to say don't train your strength, you are going to need it, but don't overlook the cardio!

Feel free to friend and/or message me for more info. I don't browse the forums very often.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have done a Spartan and a couple of Tough Mudders and the best suggestion I would give is go run, rain or shine get some miles in. While you are on your run get creative and pick up a rock, log your running partner anything to carry some extra weight. Lots of pushups and pullups will help too. Just make your training fun and don't train in the gym. The race isn't indoors so don't practice indoors. Good luck!!!!!
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would recommend running with adding hills in and practicing burpees if you are just trying to get through it. If trying to do well, I would run hills and build upper body strength as well. Have fun!
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    DO YOUR BURPEES.

I'm serious. Even if you never fail an obstacle, the burpees will help tremendously with your conditioning.

BTW, there is this myth that the burpee penalty is strictly optional in the open waves. This is nonsense, of course; after all, what is the point of an optional penalty? They may not police the participants stringently, but the Spartan folks have repeatedly declared that burpees are still required as a matter of integrity.

http://obstacleracingmedia.com/featured/new-spartan-waves-spartan-hq-answers-questions/
  • duncan04
    duncan04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As spartan_d said...embrace the burpee! It's not the run that gets you, it's the cardio and the obstacles. Watch the videos. Eat well, exercise more, push yourself and you'll do great! Welcome to the Spartan Tribe!
  • Kida_Johnson
    Kida_Johnson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has said, just don't give up! Mind over body. Nothing worse than watching someone quit on themself mid-race.
  • blackjack74
    blackjack74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Train on hills, simulate obstacles like the bucket brigade training with a bucket full of stones, or climb a rope and so on. Depending on what race you signed in, train for that length. Another tip, strengthen your grip.
    For more detail try this blog: spartanracewarriors.com
    check both http://www.spartanracewarriors.com/30-day-spartan-race-training-plan and http://www.spartanracewarriors.com/train-like-elite-spartan-racer/
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For a sprint, the best thing you can do is work on pullups and dead hangs. Just work on them a couple times a week. Combine that with burpees and some running, you'll be fine