Cellulite

Options
Ladies- I'm 52 and I recently (over the last 8 months or so) have developed some cellulite on the front of my thighs. Is this just an aging thing? Is there anything I can do about it? Will lower body work/weight training help? Adjusting my macros (I probably don't get enough protein as I eat a vegan diet and don't pay a lot of attention to protein)? Or is this just aging crap we are all stuck with? Thanks for your wisdom.

Replies

• Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm 52
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am 30 and I have had cellulite since I guess at least 5 years.
    It is based on your connective tissue. Some people have weaker connective tissue genetically and get it easier (like me, it seems), for many it gets weaker with age. But you can work against it with the right nutrition. People claim it went away when they toned up and ate healthy. I think some of it is build better with enough amino acids and vitamin C, because it's based on collagen, but not all connective tissue is.
    It can definitely get less visible with more defined muscle underneath it.
  • eatmindfully
    Options
    Thank you!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I think it might be an age thing. I was bending over the other day stretching and happened to look at the top of my upper thighs. Cellulite city! I'm almost 46 and my legs are pretty muscular. I think I'm just going to have to embrace it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am in my 30's and I've had it since I hit puberty. I have never been overweight either (not counting being 9 months pregnant). Seems to be genetic. Strength training has helped, but not completely...even when I am super lean and have abs, I still have cellulite.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have acquired quite a bit of cellulite. It's pretty pronounced, and I think in part it's because I became more sedentary. My mom's not overweight but has a lot, too. My sister is 54 and extremely active, and has cellulite on her thighs, too. I'm thinking there might be a genetic component and an age component. I'm hopeful that running and weight training will make it less obvious. My solution: I wear a lot of capris!
  • CoueCoue
    CoueCoue Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like @sardelsa, I am in my 30s and have had cellulite since puberty, which is really cruel. I've occasionally dipped into the overweight category (hence why I am here), but I've never been huge. It's just what you're handed. HOWEVER, I found huge improvement when I started barre classes. And when I couldn't go to classes anymore, similar workouts via DVD such as Physique57. Absolutely no scientific evidence as to why this was, but it really helped me and I am much more confident in a bikini now.

If you don't fancy the hard work though, try a fake tan ;)
  • eatmindfully
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm determined to love my body no matter what but this is not the most fun thing ever. Appreciate the support and suggestions!
  • nilimel
    nilimel Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've had front cellulite since I was 17. I turned 25 yesterday and have been working this problem since March. Little by little it'll go away.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The fat pokes through the collagen fibers as we age and the collagen fibers weaken. You can make it look like less by building muscle in your legs.
  • eatmindfully
    Options
    I guess it's going to be squat city over here!
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 with a slim build (5'2" 98lbs) & have had cellulite since I was 21. Training for a marathon didn't change it, teaching 4 45minute spin classes in a row didn't change it, strength training has changed nothing for me (other than, you know, I'm stronger). The only time it was slightly diminished was when I was 8 or 9 months pregnant and slightly "puffy" everywhere. What does seem to work is self tanners and spray tans. I'll use a self tanner on just the cellulite one day and then all over the next which makes the cellulite area just a tiny shade darker than the rest of my leg and it does a decent job of camouflage. I learned the trick from a photographer when I used to do some modeling. There's also a trick with duct tape...but it's not practical nor comfortable.
  • eatmindfully
    Options
    Oh boy no duct tape! Lol. Thanks for sharing!