Bodyweight exercises work too!

Options
Saaski
Saaski Posts: 105 Member
Hello. This is my first time posting pictures, but wanted to share where I'm at. I know a lot of people stress the importance of lifting heavy, and that is a totally valid point of view, but I have a very hard going somewhere with the equipment I could use to lift heavy, and I live in quite a small space (studio apartment). I just very recently started swimming twice a week, but so far my progress has been solely with bodyweight exercises. The only piece of exercise equipment I use besides myself is a pull-up bar I installed.

I'm aware that my progress is probably going a little slower than if I used a gym/weights/etc, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing. Stretches, push-ups, planks, pull-ups, squats--all that can be done in my own place when I wake up without having to worry about going somewhere else. I want to be (and look) stronger, and bodyweight exercises are helping me do that.

So this is me.

tltdg9ggykj6.png

My current fitness goals, to get ready for something in September, are to get ten pull-ups on the regular, forty proper push-ups in two minutes, and a three minute plank. I'm currently up to seven, thirty-three, and two minutes (two and a half on a good day), so I'm getting there!

I also want my handstands, but that's not entirely related :D

Anyway, this is what works for me. Maybe it might work for you too, if gyms aren't a good fit for whatever reason.

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Looking good. Keep it up. Bodyweight exercises are real good, sadly a lot neglect. Building a solid foundation is essential for a good strong physique. :)
  • kimv1188
    kimv1188 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will help me get my lazy butt in gear! You look great!
  • Saaski
    Options
    Thank you! It's been a lot of work and I'm not yet done, but overall it works for me!
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely what I needed to see today. Thank you for posting!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »
    Hello. This is my first time posting pictures, but wanted to share where I'm at. I know a lot of people stress the importance of lifting heavy, and that is a totally valid point of view, but I have a very hard going somewhere with the equipment I could use to lift heavy, and I live in quite a small space (studio apartment). I just very recently started swimming twice a week, but so far my progress has been solely with bodyweight exercises. The only piece of exercise equipment I use besides myself is a pull-up bar I installed.

I'm aware that my progress is probably going a little slower than if I used a gym/weights/etc, but I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing. Stretches, push-ups, planks, pull-ups, squats--all that can be done in my own place when I wake up without having to worry about going somewhere else. I want to be (and look) stronger, and bodyweight exercises are helping me do that.

So this is me.

tltdg9ggykj6.png

My current fitness goals, to get ready for something in September, are to get ten pull-ups on the regular, forty proper push-ups in two minutes, and a three minute plank. I'm currently up to seven, thirty-three, and two minutes (two and a half on a good day), so I'm getting there!

Anyway, this is what works for me. Maybe it might work for you too, if gyms aren't a good fit for whatever reason.

Works for me as well. I have other issues that make bodyweight exercises the best choice for me (spinal stenosis, arthritis, previous injuries with surgical correction). I'm on a permanent restriction of lifting no more than 25lbs over my body weight. So while I can pick up free weights up to 25 lbs even that is pushing it if I allow that weight to be transferred to my lower back. Anyway, I do just fine building muscle using bodyweight exercise. Granted, it's a bit slower than lifting heavy might be but it's completely acceptable to me. Not everyone wants to look like a body builder. Regardless it's a good way to start and requires no equipment or very little. I think over the last two years I've bought two pull up bars, both were under $30.

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with bodyweight exercises too recently. You might really enjoy looking into gymnastics training after you've hit your milestones. Much of it you can do on your pull up bar
  • Saaski
    Options
    Nine pull-ups! Admittedly I was going really fast just to see how many I could bang out (I usually go up and down quite slowly) but still! I can do nine now. On a good day :)
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »

So this is me.

tltdg9ggykj6.png

I love your progress indeed ! Great job.
  • Saaski
    Options
    Eleven pull-ups in a row with no rest!! Very excited and accomplished :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!