60 carb per meal Diabetic Plan

Options
I am a 55 year old Diabetic with Hypertension & am morbidly obese with degenerative disc disease in my neck, spinal stenosis in my lower back and arthritis in both hips. I want to take charge of my health and get back control and make changes to be healthy again. I would love any feedback or help from anyone . I am too young to feel like this.

Replies

• blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Did anyone advise you that you need to remain at 60 carbs per meal? That's 180gr of carbs a day. Seems high to me, if you want to lose weight. Are you taking insulin already?

I stay start at looking a whole foods diet, and removing all sugar and processed foods in your diet. Wheat bread and pasta are processed foods, potatoes are a whole food, although you still need to limit them to some extend.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Go to Diabetes.org and look at the food plan.

Haven't you seen a Registered Dietician? Seems that would be a good place to start, too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    With 180 carbs per day (60x3), you probably can just focus on eating balanced, healthy meals and a calorie deficit.

Have you figured out how many calories you should aim for? Have you started logging or know what your other macros (protein and fat) are adding up to? If you ARE higher than 60 per meal, that's pretty easy to fix just by reducing serving sizes and maybe increasing protein and healthy fats.

I also agree that focusing on whole food and higher fiber carbs is a good option.

Looking at your current diet and figuring out easy gradual changes to make can make it all easier and totally painless.