Help??

Options
Okay, So my mom gets paid every other week and at the end of the second week i have to eat the same thing almost every day because we have NO food.
This time its been Tuna sandwiches and im getting REALLY sick of doing this..

Does anyone have ANY tips on what else i could buy when we go shopping so that this doesn't happen???

Replies

• simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    Do you meal plan? That could be a start.... Plan out your meals for the week and figure out what will fit in your budget (shop the ads / coupons etc). You can get a variety of foods on a small budget. Also, you don't need to eat meat for dinner. You could substitute with beans or other protein sources! I hope that helps!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Try shopping sales with coupons. Check out www.thegrocerygame.com Your mom will save over 40% off her grocery bill shopping this way. Maybe you could help her by clipping coupons. I have 3 sons and cannot afford to shop any other way! Have her check it out.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    sounds like fresh fruit n veggies are out if you are buying to last for 2 weeks. So maybe check out other tinned foods, or frozen foods (veggies n fruit fish. meat.) As simplysara suggested maybe try to meal plan ahead of the shop? Maybe make some meals with ground turkey or chicken and freeze them to eat later in the 2nd week. I think planning is the key. Good luck hun x
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I see you are 18 and living with mom and step dad. Do you have a job? Maybe that would be a big help to them and could be good for you too. Keep you busy and help buy the groceries. Maybe you already do have a job, but if not...good idea!
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    Ive been trying to get a job. i fill out TONS of apps ever week. Its hard because i live in a VERYYYYYY small town.
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    Thats what ive been trying to do ( plan out my meals) but it never works out or something happens and screws it up!!
  • BlueAventer
    BlueAventer Posts: 129
    Options
    Okay, So my mom gets paid every other week and at the end of the second week i have to eat the same thing almost every day because we have NO food.
    This time its been Tuna sandwiches and im getting REALLY sick of doing this..

Does anyone have ANY tips on what else i could buy when we go shopping so that this doesn't happen???

I understand where you're coming from. I've been there. When funds are low, I usually eat a lot of beans and rice. I'll get the canned beans (which are usually under $1 each) and cook up some brown rice. It gets a bit boring after awhile, but you can spice it up with avocados, or tomatoes, or whatever you find. Very filling, and cheap. :)
  • xoxoultraviolet
    Options
    Thanks seagullswokeme :D thats a FANTASTIC idea!!!!
  • BlueAventer
    BlueAventer Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks seagullswokeme :D thats a FANTASTIC idea!!!!

No problem! :smile: After awhile, it does get a little boring, but it still fills you up. One day, a lady I work with gave me a half of a tomato and I added that to my beans and rice dish and it was so delicious! I've also discovered that if you chop up a bit of green pepper and add it to it (I warm mine up in the microwave at lunch time) that it adds a little more moisture and flavor so it's not so dry. :smile: