Way too much calories but from good food. Good or bad?

Options
ndalpe1
ndalpe1 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,
First post here. Since I use Myfitnesspal, I became calorie conscious. I have diabetes (type: Mody similar as type 2). I cut all the sugar and simple carbs from my diet. I do not eat dairy product, no eggs and 2 to 3 portion of meat per week. I have a computer related job so I am sitting down all day and train boxing (90 mts per class) 3 to 4 times a week.

My average meal reach 900 to 1200 calories per meal and I eat up to 4 meals a day. If I go below this, I feel unsatisfied, low energy and hungry all the time. Most of my calories come from vegetable, nut, seeds and fruit. I do have a high calorie intake but I also have a lot of fiber.

My goal is to gain weight and muscle mass. My weight is currently 67 kg. I would like to go up to 70 - 72 kg range.

Below is a log of what i eat in a typical day. Do you guys mind having a look at it and tell me opinion about it? Is it too much food? Too much cal?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Nutrients
Protein: 116g
Carb: 303g
Fiber 96g
Sugars: 85g
Fat: 127g

Breakfast
Oatmeal, 2/5 C dry
Banana - (One), 118 grams
Coffee espresso, 2 ounce
Almond Butter, 2 Tbs
Brown Date, 3 date
Chia Seed, 3 tbsp
Flax Seed, 3 tbsp
Nutritional Yeast, 2.25 tsp
Tahini, 15 milliliter
Organic Carob Powder, 5 grams
Total cal: 1,086

Lunch
Kale, raw, 100 g
Cherry Tomato, 10 tomatoes
Apples - Sliced, 1 cup
Beets, raw, 2 beet (2" dia)
Turmeric Root Raw, 15 milliliter
Moringa, 1 tbsp
Flax Seeds, 3 tbsp
Nutritional Yeast, 2.25 tsp
fenugreek seed, 1 tsp
total cal: 409

Dinner
Papayas, raw, 200 g

sesame seeds, 1 tbsp(s)
Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon
Yellow Split Peas, 25 g
French Style Lentils, 25 g
Green Split Peas, 25 g
chickpeas, 0.25 cup
Edamame, 0.25 cup
Corn, 0.3 cup
Raw Sweet Potato, 50 g
Pumpkin Seeds, 15 g
Sunflower Seeds, 0.75 oz
Hemp Hearts - Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds, 15 g
salt - Kosher Salt, 0.5 tsp.

Cherry Tomatoes, 10 tomatoes
Cucumber, 75 g (8-1/4")
Radishes, raw, 0.3 cup
Olive Oil, 1 tablespoon

Total cal: 1,226

For a grand total of 2,721 calories

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and your stats.
    For me that would have me gaining a ton of weight w which is not my goal.
    I would cut the flax seeds and hemp hearts,seeds,oil, and other calorie dense stuff.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    What's your goal here? Are you trying to lose weight, maintain, or gain? From a dietary health perspective, you're doing great. But if you're in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight whether you're eating a lot of pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts or fried chicken and onion rings.
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    To much calories is too much. It's gonna mess with your insulin.

Try cutting all that fruit and see if you stay full for longer. 85g of sugar is a bunch.

Just skipping breakfast could also work. I usually dont get hungry if I do that have breakfast. But when I do, I'm counting the seconds till lunch.

Intermittent fasting has also shown to reduce hunger over time.
  • ndalpe1
    Options
    I now added my goal to the original post.

@amtyrell My goal is to gain weight and muscle mass while keeping my blood sugar level as low as possible. I thought of cutting oils, this could save me 250 cal per meal.

@estherdragonbat I do try to gain weight.

@sebastiansteinmann Yeah I was worried about the insulin. Cutting the fruits would remove roughly 57 g of sugar. Would be a good start... I have to look into intermittent fasting but so far skipping breakfast was a disaster for me. I am the type that gets cranky, impatient and unfocused when hungry.

Thank you for your answers!!

Keep it coming guys!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    To control diabetes moderation is key. Don't skip meals as others suggested.

I think the fats in the nuts and seeds is what is keeping you stable and helps moderate hunger.

Your diet appears to be a fiber bomb. No problems with flatulence?

Any reasons you stay away from eggs? They are packed with protein and really helped me keep my blood sugars stable.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Some fruits and veggies are higher in sugar than others. If you want to cut back on sugar, I'd suggest dropping or reducing the papaya, banana, and dates. I like berries, because they taste super sweet to me, but they're actually low in sugar.
  • ndalpe1
    Options
    @crazyravr good tip

@jgnatca That is right moderation is key. I am thinking of reducing my portion size and add another meal in my day. So 5 small meals instead of 4. Nuts and seeds definitely help me a lot reaching satiety. I try to keep my portion of nuts and seeds under 40g per meal. My new diet did turn my tummy into a wind factory but it is such a small price to pay compare to the health benefit I get from this diet. I use to eat eggs until I watch this video now I avoid them whenever I can. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eggs-and-diabetes/

@psuLemon You are right. I lowered my carbs and feel better. Too much carbs create sudden and extreme hunger for me. When I am in this state, I have brain fog, I am grouchy and I feel very tired even after I eat. I ruin a lot of business meeting and social interaction because of that...

@clicketykeys I did follow your advice and lower the fruits in my diet. It helps me stabilize the "glycemic roller coaster". I am now incorporating blueberry (around 30g) in my breakfast. I found that sweet potatoes give me energy and sustain me for a longer period of time than fruits. I hope I will get my daily nutrients without fruits.

Thank you all for your comment.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you may want to up your protein a bit - I personally find it to be more satiating...that being said, you said you ate meat 2-3times a week, but there was none in the sample that you provided

if you are looking to gain weight then you need to eat more than maintenance - you'll need to experiment with that, up your calories, monitor your weight and then see if you are trending up or down
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your maintenance is? If not, any idea what you've been eating? You also can estimate it from stats.

You want to gain, so a surplus of about 500 cal/day (or even less -- you don't want to gain a lot, so 250 cal might be a better surplus) plus of course enough protein and progressive strength exercises.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Try posting in the Gaining Weight and Body Building section of the forums.