Back to Work

Options
deedun
deedun Posts: 361 Member
I have a government job which I took a year's career break from back in September to do a 9month college course which I am nearly half way qualified.

Then along came the recession... :grumble: My fiancee was made redundant and received his cheque today, I now have to go back to work...

I paid €6k for this course, plus all supplies which totals €10k:noway:

All down the drain. I go from a 4 day easy going week to a 5 day full time working environment.

As far as I know I will be starting back work next Monday but I am so peed off with this recession, I know it's worldwide and I knowI am lucky to even have a job to go back to but talk about brutal timing !!

Sorry just needed a little rant :cry:

Replies

• deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a government job which I took a year's career break from back in September to do a 9month college course which I am nearly half way qualified.

Then along came the recession... :grumble: My fiancee was made redundant and received his cheque today, I now have to go back to work...

I paid €6k for this course, plus all supplies which totals €10k:noway:

All down the drain. I go from a 4 day easy going week to a 5 day full time working environment.

As far as I know I will be starting back work next Monday but I am so peed off with this recession, I know it's worldwide and I knowI am lucky to even have a job to go back to but talk about brutal timing !!

Sorry just needed a little rant :cry:
  • martyfen
    Options
    life is really sucky right now. Any time you have spent studying is never wasted though. Even though right now you have to take a break from it and go back to work - are you able to return to it when times get better? Can you still take it over a longer timeframe just part-time now? Are you able to transfer to a college that will give you the flexibility to continue and still work?

A lot of my collegues are having to do this and juggle - it's hard but pain for a short period to get the qualification in the long run. good luck to you both with your work and your course
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Agh, that sucks! I understand...I returned to work a year ago (after 18 years as a stay-at-home mom) and EVERYthing had to be readjusted. I always got up early but now I'm up at 5:00 in the gym by 6:15. Don't let your exercise routine go down the drain!

I agree with the previous posters that you can return to your studies later. Maybe if you talk to the school, they will understand and either return your money or guarantee you a spot in the class at a later date?

Anyway, I'm so sorry. Things will get better! This is all part of the balancing act.