Meatless Monday (1200 cal)

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Curried lentils and potatoes with roasted cauliflower...
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    At Costco I buy these frozen bags of quinoa and kale seasoned with olive oil/garlic, 5 minutes in the microwave, then I put a"fried" egg on top. Very yummy and filling.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Cookie and Kate is a really great blog I love to mine for my meatless recipes every now and then.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    In New Orleans, it's a tradition to have Red Beans and Rice on Mondays. Try a tradition?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_beans_and_rice

Oh yes or beans and cornbread, yum.

As for protein sources, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese are your best bets although there are a few good plant based sources.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    In New Orleans, it's a tradition to have Red Beans and Rice on Mondays. Try a tradition?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_beans_and_rice

Oh yes or beans and cornbread, yum.

As for protein sources, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and cottage cheese are your best bets although there are a few good plant based sources.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    This salad from the MFP blog was tasty & high protein:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/edamame-cranberry-salad/
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Shakshuka is pretty tasty, depending on how you make it. And it can be used for any meal. Many recipes for if run a search engine search. IIRC, a two egg serving of that includes onions, bell peppers, and white beans runs somewhere in the 300-380 calories neighborhood.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite vegetarian recipe ever (Black bean & butternut enchiladas): http://www.skinnytaste.com/butternut-squash-and-black-bean/ Even my husband likes it and he's normally a "it's not a meal without meat" kinda guy.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bethannien wrote: »
    Cookie and Kate is a really great blog I love to mine for my meatless recipes every now and then.

Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Here are 392 recipes for vegetarian entrees. You can use Advanced Search to further sort by featuring beans & lentils, eggs, or cheese (but you won't get any results for all three ;)

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:25&f[1]=field_recipe_course:772
  • shadowweaver06
    shadowweaver06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Moros y cristianos are always good in a pinch - I'm sure there's vegetarian versions. :) also pretty much anything involving lentils and potatoes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Moros y cristianos are always good in a pinch - I'm sure there's vegetarian versions. :) also pretty much anything involving lentils and potatoes.

Speaking of lentils: red lentil pasta sauce is one of my favorite pasta sauces, meatless or otherwise. It's the definition of comfort food to me.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You could try happyherbivore.com (vegan) or minimalistbaker.com (plant-based) for very simple recipes. You could add eggs or cheese if you don't want to just try them as-is (though I'd recommend as-is at first).
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Speaking of lentils: red lentil pasta sauce is one of my favorite pasta sauces, meatless or otherwise. It's the definition of comfort food to me.

Side chat - sorry, OP: What else is in red lentil pasta sauce? Sounds yum!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's just like regular tomato pasta sauce with all the usual fixings (tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, italian herbs...etc), except with lentils and ground dried mushrooms. The only difference is that I sautee grated carrots and sometimes thin matchsticks of red bell pepper with the onions for sweetness because I don't like the taste of table sugar in my sauce. You could blend the lentils with some of the sauce and add them back (I like a bit of chunkiness to my sauce so I don't blend the whole thing when I feel like blending the lentils) or just add them whole. Sometimes I add a touch of parmesan, other times I don't. The lentils and mushrooms give this hearty texture and rich umami flavor to the sauce and it feels "comforting".
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @amusedmonkey: Mmmm, I gotta try that! I don't eat a lot of pasta, but I'll bet it'd be good on eggplant or other things, too. The ground mushroom idea sounds like a great tip for other dishes too. Thanks!
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Egg whites scrambled placed on top of quinoa with avocado and siracha for seasoning. BOMB AF
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Egg whites scrambled placed on top of quinoa with avocado and siracha for seasoning. BOMB AF

I am trying this ;)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I love chickpea curry. Just fry some onions, stir in garlic and curry powder/spices, then some flour, cook briefly then add liquid (stock, coconut milk) and cooked chickpeas. Add whatever other veg and cook until the veg is cooked, then serve with rice. I like potatoes and carrots (add with the onions), peas and peppers (add near the end), but you can use anything.

You can use canned chickpeas or cook your own from dried. You can cook them in big batches and freeze - the slow cooker or pressure cooker are good for this.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's just like regular tomato pasta sauce with all the usual fixings (tomatoes, onions, garlic, olive oil, italian herbs...etc), except with lentils and ground dried mushrooms. The only difference is that I sautee grated carrots and sometimes thin matchsticks of red bell pepper with the onions for sweetness because I don't like the taste of table sugar in my sauce. You could blend the lentils with some of the sauce and add them back (I like a bit of chunkiness to my sauce so I don't blend the whole thing when I feel like blending the lentils) or just add them whole. Sometimes I add a touch of parmesan, other times I don't. The lentils and mushrooms give this hearty texture and rich umami flavor to the sauce and it feels "comforting".

@amusedmonkey, I tried a riff on this tonight (even though it's seriously too hot for such a thing here, especially in a house without AC ;) ).

Since I'm not a big pasta eater, it was perhaps more like a stew with pasta in it or a goulash variant - lots of thick sauce and a little pasta.

Regardless of what category it belonged in, it was rich and delicious - very umami, as you say.

Thanks for the great tip! This will definitely be repeated.