Sodium intake

Options
memaw66
memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
I just changed my food diary to show sodium and calcium consumption.

I noticed that on most days I am way under in both categories.

Is this bad? I know you don't want to have too MUCH sodium but is it also not a good thing to not have enough sodium? What is sodium's function any way?

Memaw

Replies

• memaw66
    Options
    I just changed my food diary to show sodium and calcium consumption.

I noticed that on most days I am way under in both categories.

Is this bad? I know you don't want to have too MUCH sodium but is it also not a good thing to not have enough sodium? What is sodium's function any way?

Memaw
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    In the human body, sodium works in conjunction with potassium to balance the body’s water. It also is integral to the conduction of nerve impulses and the contraction of muscles. Without adeqaute levels of sodium, normal heart rhythm cannot be maintained.
  • Shera
    Shera Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is accurate or not, but if you just drink A LOT of extra water doesn't that help filter out some of the sodium?
  • memaw66
    Options
    But my question is, is it bad to be UNDER the allotted daily amount of sodium? I know you don't want to be over but is it okay to be under?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It depends, really. Does hypertension run in your family? If so, you can probably be a little under and be fine. I aim to be under because everyone in my family has high blood pressure.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm usually under in sodium too, but not WAY under. They say d good range is 2000-2500 mg. I'm usually between 1500-2000. If you are WAY under, maybe you are not eating a good balance of the 4 food groups, many people go really heavy on fruits and veggies, forgetting that dairy, whole grains and meats are important too.

As for calcium being low- yes, that is bad. Either get your numbers up by incorporating more dairy products into your diet, or begin taking a calcium supplement.