I gained 6 pounds in one week! HELP?!

Options
I have not changed my daily calorie intake at all or my general eating habits. I've just incorporated 1-2 shots of vodka every night into my daily calorie count. and I'm not much of a drinker so drinking alcohol every night this week is of course not the norm for me.

could all the 6 pounds be water weight from dehydration due to the alcohol? or did I actually gain 6 pounds of fat this week?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You would have had to eat a f-ton of extra calories over your maintenance to gain 6 lbs of fat. A few shots of vodka wouldn't be enough.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I find my weight is always up when I drink more - mostly water retention
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are about 100 calories in a shot of vodka so you would have had to consume 5 of them everyday and eat your regular calories to gain 1 pound and about 30 shots a day for six pounds. Of course, unless you habituated yourself to it over many years you'd pass out long before you reached the 30 shots.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Try stopping the vodka and see what happens. The interaction of alcohol with people's bodies is kind of hard to figure out IMHO. Just have it on say, Saturday nights.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to drinking and started drinking more often it will probably just be water weight gain. I can gain 5lb over night from a couple of pints of craft ale. As mentioned above you could not gain 6lb of fat whilst eating in a deficit or maintaining, it would take around 21000 calories over your maintenance intake to gain 6lb of fat.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Could be extra sodium or TOM or just because for no apparent reason but it definitely isn't 6 pounds of fat.
  • mareuter
    mareuter Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also you could have gained the 6 pounds in a week depending on what you ate. I ate an entire pizza last night, had peanut butter toast a few days ago and ate a bunch of spaghetti and pasta over the week. Yes, I believe a person can gain 6lbs in a week. it's easier to input than to export the energy - meaning it is way easier to over eat calories with food and alcohol and before you know it you've consumed a lot of calories. 12 weeks ago I was skiing a lot every week. probably burning enough to lose a pound a day - I stopped skiing that much but my food intake has not. I need to adjust my food intake now because I'm exercising A LOT less. This is hard because I'm used to eating a lot food. Now cutting down portion size I'm very hungry. It will take a few weeks to adjust to eating less.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I've done about 10 pounds in a week. It's from high calories and high sodium for me. It comes down pretty quickly when I return to tracking an increase my water intake. I think big gains in a few days have to be water weight.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How do you weigh yourself? Do you weigh yourself every day in the morning with an empty stomach...do you weigh yourself with clothes. Before thinking you didn't lose weight, how did you determined you gained weight?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have not changed my daily calorie intake at all or my general eating habits. I've just incorporated 1-2 shots of vodka every night into my daily calorie count. and I'm not much of a drinker so drinking alcohol every night this week is of course not the norm for me.

could all the 6 pounds be water weight from dehydration due to the alcohol? or did I actually gain 6 pounds of fat this week?

You did not gain 6 pounds of body fat in one week.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    my husband drinks wine every night and is losing 2 pounds a week. Perhaps if you want to drink each night..figure it into your calories and just continue with your weight loss plan. If you gain some false weight on the front end..it doesn't mean you'll never lose again. .you just have a new start point.