What the best gym

Options
I wanna know what the best gym out there

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My house. I lie. There are people with way better home gyms than mine.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That depends entirely on what your needs are. I'm broke so I went with Planet Fitness. The machines are very nice, the place is spotless, and I pay 10 bucks a month.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,698 Member
    Options
    The one you will go to consistently. If the best gym cost $100 a month, is it worth it if you don't go?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ericmarkham5
    ericmarkham5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A good gym has good squat racks, good bars, let's you use chalk and has people in it that are there consistently, train hard, and don't ditz around that motivate you to work hard. Commercial gyms tend not to have much of the last one since their business model is built around getting you to sign up but never show up so you keep paying your dues. While planet fitness has none of the above so it's probably the worst. Although it's fine you just need to use a treadmill I guess.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Either Oxygen gym in Kuwait or strength asylum home of the WSM would get my vote
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    any gym you go to regularly is the best gym.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    One that you can grunt, yell/scream, forcibly exhale, fart, burp, and make any other bodily noises without getting warned about doing so or you'll be kicked out :wink:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    Easy....

The one you use.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Going to go with Jim Tate's gym at EliteFts.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The one that you'll use the most. If I only want to do treadmills and you only want to lift weights the best gym isn't going to be the same. (I don't only want to do treadmills) It also helps if it fits your budget and is in a convenient location. There's at least 3 gyms in my town though and I go to ones in neighboring cities because they have more of what I want and its a chain so I can go to any location. The best gym is really a personal decision.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My basement. Open 24/7, no rules about noise, has all the equipment I could ever need. Always private. Don't always have a spotter, but never have to wait for something to be available and no one gets mad when I stockpile equipment for a workout. I do also get bonus points for spider kills.

Some jerk keeps leaving stuff all over the place like they had to evacuate mid-workout. Seriously. How hard is it to rerack the weights? I guess I need to speak to management.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    It's a gym that's located where you can easily access it, has the equipment that you need/want to use which is available to use w/o waiting when you want to use it for as long as you want to use it and costs what you can afford to pay for it.

For me, this is the "gym" that I built at home and that's despite the fact that I have a free membership to a commercial gym paid for by my medical insurance plan that has all the facilities and every possible piece of equipment that you could possibly need or want to use, except for a 20-25' rope climb that I wish they'd add.

The rope pull machine just isn't the same. They have the ceiling height and space but probably don't have a rope climb due to liability concerns - - but I digress.

The only things that I use at the commercial gym are the Stairmaster and steamroom. Everything else that I need I have at home, where I don't have to wait to use any piece of equipment and can work out w/that equipment undisturbed for as long as I want.

Nothing better that that.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The one that's most conveniently located to you so you'll actually use it.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    A few guidelines:

1. Unless you're broke, don't just go with the most affordable option. This is your long-term health that we're talking about, after all. A good gym membership usually isn't cheap, but health care costs tend to be more expensive. In the long run, that $10/month membership won't be such a good deal after all.

2. If you're looking for overall fitness, then you should generally avoid thinking, "Oh, all I need is some cardio equipment" or "I just need a place that offers some group classes." Some people only want a place where they can walk or jog on the treadmills, for example. If you want to take care of your health though, look for a gym where you can do both strength training and cardio effectively.

3. Energy is contagious and atmosphere matters. In a high-energy environment, people tend to be more motivated to push hard and get results. The local community centers, for example, tend to be low-energy venues where people lift light weights and stroll casually on the indoor track. In the more serious gyms, people find themselves motivated and inspired by the people around them.

4. A lot of people here on MFP says, "It's not the gym that matters, it's the effort that you put in." That's sounds good, but it's only a half-truth. If it was only a matter of one's personal effort, then you wouldn't need the gym at all. You could just go to a park or work out in your living room. Having the right equipment and the freedom to use effective exercises makes all the difference. So does having proper guidance, especially if you're just starting out.