60 and sluggish

Options
pkotterman
pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
I've never really been much into the community on MFP- but I need some motivation and advice. I didn't have much trouble with my weight until I was about 50- and the last 10 years I've gained over 50 lbs!!! The worst part is I gained 40 of it in the last 2 years. Exercising has never. Even fun for me- but now it's tough, so I figured if I could find a few people to inspire me and hold me accountable that might help. I'm starting a walking plan (I used to walk half marathons!) and a commitment to healthier eating and portion control. Would love to hear from others in a similar position.

Replies

• pkotterman
    Options
    I went grocery shopping and bought many more healthy foods. I'm putting my old yoga mat and some tennis shoes in my bag for work. It will motivate me to do the little things. I added walking to my calendar. It seems really tough but I know I'll feel better.
  • pkotterman
    Options
    Thanks so much. Your success is great inspiration!
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 60 too. A bit ahead of you on the exercise front. But if I can do it so can you.
    I started with aquacise - look after the knees !
    I get on better at classes - rather than the gym.
    I have a dog
  • puzzledstill
    Options
    Oops -didn't publish everything I typed.

• puzzledstill
    Options
    Hi - I'm 60 too. A bit ahead of you on the exercise front. But if I can do it so can you.
    I started with aquacise - look after the knees !
    I get on better at classes - rather than the gym.
    I have a
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Oops -didn't publish everything I typed.

Did you by any chance use an emoji? MFP cuts off the post at an emoji character.
  • alghamme
    alghamme Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and am on the gaining side but new to MFP. Everything I read says smaller portions, eat more fruit and veggies, less salt, less sugar, less alcohol and less carbs. I can't tell you how many articles I've read that all say the same thing. I also have looked into hormone balance and improving function for liver, kidney, etc. trying to work on that too but need to do more reading. Hang in there!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am 57 and have to say that finding the MFP community was the best discovery of my life. I managed to gain about 40 pounds in the 6 months after I retired. When I was working I was at least was walking on my breaks and lunch and managing to keep the weight gain in check. I became a bit complacent in the months after retirement. I was also recovering from a year of chemotherapy and radiation and then had a hysterectomy. That's a lot to deal with in a short amount of time and the scale reflected my new-found sedentary life-style.

After hitting my highest weight ever, one day I just got sick and tired of whining, feeling sorry, and worrying about myself. I had joined MFP a few years earlier, but never really engaged. That all was about to change and what a change it was! I jumped in with both feet, started logging everything I ate and exercising regularly. The weight started to come off and my energy level and stamina started to go up. It's true what they say that regular exercise increases your energy. After thinking about it for a year, I finally got the nerve to go to the pool and join the aquasize class. I have no idea what I was scared of because those ladies have now become some of my best friends! Aqua exercise is so good for you, easy on the joints, and still a good aerobic workout. I also like to walk, but it's boring to do it by yourself, so I mostly only walk with friends when they're available.

I know you can lose weight by just changing your diet, but that is not going to increase your flexibility or improve you quality of life. You have to move to stay mobile. It's just a fact that our bodies are aging and if you want to slow down that process you have to get going!!

Just a couple suggestions for ways to get moving. Join a class - look for classes at your local senior center. Mine has Tai Chi, Zumba Gold (for older folks), and Yoga. The class I'm in at the pool is called Stretch and Tone and also geared for older folks, but you can work as hard as you want. Look for challenges or groups to join on MFP. Now THAT has really improved my fitness level and it's fun to engage with others who are on a similar path. There are a lot of fun groups. Some great suggestions above from @AnnPT77 for community groups. Currently I'm in the Hogwarts fitness challenge which is based on the Harry Potter series. I'm not even a Potterhead, but I still get by just fine.

Anyone is welcome to send me a friend request. I try to log in my diary daily and it's open to friends. I may not always comment on every move you make, but I'm around for support and motivation.
  • pkotterman
    Options
    Great message. I never had trouble with finding motivation till this last 18 months. Today was day 1 - walked 20 minutes pretty fast and stayed under my calorie goal- though carbs are a little high. Motivation is what I need. I've hadMFP for 3 years, but I've never really engaged or added friends. Hoping to stay in the game this time. Patience is not my strong suit!
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also need some encouragement to stay on track, well, to get back on track really!

I hate exercise classes, and lost 10lbs back in Jan/Feb through logging meals, walking everywhere and dancing like crazy in the kitchen. Now need to lose the next 20, but I see what others are saying about strength and flexibility being important. I am 53, and I don't want to become unfit and stodgy.

Do you think walking plus yoga (at home with dvd!) might do the trick?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    snooky211 wrote: »
    I also need some encouragement to stay on track, well, to get back on track really!

I hate exercise classes, and lost 10lbs back in Jan/Feb through logging meals, walking everywhere and dancing like crazy in the kitchen. Now need to lose the next 20, but I see what others are saying about strength and flexibility being important. I am 53, and I don't want to become unfit and stodgy.

Do you think walking plus yoga (at home with dvd!) might do the trick?

I think that's a good start! Eventually, after some basic conditioning comes from that, you may find yourself wanting to move from "not unfit" to "really fit". That can go in any or all of several directions: Strength, cardiovascular improvement, etc. At that point - or now, starting slowly - you might want to attempt something more challenging, vigorous or intense.

In the short run, a fair amount hinges on the type of yoga you pursue: Different styles emphasize everything from relax-y/meditate-y poses to quite intense bodyweight strength-building.

If you poke around MFP, you'll find folks around here who've taken up all kinds of things at your age and older: Weight training (including competitive bodybuilding or powerlifting), martial arts, aerials or pole dance, Crossfit, running, triathlons, biking for distance or speed, and much more. Absent pre-existing disability of some sort, we're entirely capable of taking on almost any very significant fitness improvement at any age. We may progress a bit more slowly than the kids, but we do progress.

Madonna Buder, the "Iron Nun", started running at 48, and she's finished 325+ triathlons, including becoming the oldest to finish an Ironman at age 82. Ernestine Shepherd started weight training at 56, and became known as the oldest living competitive bodybuilder in her 70s. Now, at 81, she still has a physique most 20-sonethings would envy.

I can't equal those record-setting accomplishments, but did take up rowing at 46 after cancer treatment, despite being pretty inactive beforehand, and went on to compete in races (including some big ones like Masters Nationals and Head of the Charles), and even got a medal or two in local races. At 61, I'm still rowing 4 days a week (weather permitting), taking spin classes twice a week, doing a bit of weight training, cycling, etc.

What have you always dreamed about being able to do? There's little that's beyond you. Find something you find really fun and go after it.

Edited: typos.
  • pkotterman
    Options
    I am inspired- and a little awed, by all the exercise regimens and progress. I am truly just getting back into this. I am starting to walk and do some speed intervals. Just 2 years ago I was doing Barre 2-3 times a week and riding my bike on weekends. 30 lbs later, I have to rebuild stamina! Finding what you live- or can at least tolerate, is the way to get this done.