Bariatric surgery

Options
Anyone going through the process of having bariatric surgery? I am 62 and will be having bariatric surgery in the Fall. Would like to hear from people who are considering or having it done

Replies

• sherrymaxine
    sherrymaxine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had it done. I am working hard at exercising now and trying to monitor everything. But, I do not regret it, and I am grateful. It was good for me.
  • piperlin
    piperlin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. I am trying to lose some weight before the surgery. I cut out all sweets back in March and that is helping me a lot. It is good to hear that you dont regret it. I dont think I will either.
  • traindisp
    traindisp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm post 11 years coming soon. OMG. Lost 110, but over last few put 45 back. Going to start using app again to log food as that helps keep me accountable and helps to ensure adequate protein intake. I'd be glad to help you during your journey.
  • piperlin
    Options
    Thank you traindisp. Happy to hear you had success. Thank you for any help you can give me. I am currently going through the steps to have the surgery. My last nutrition class is in October so I am thinking end of Oct or first part of Nov for the surgery. I am already using this app to track calories and exercise. I want to lose weight before I have surgery. I have lost a little over 20 so far. When I went to the bariatric seminar I made the decision that day to stop sweets. It was hard at first but now I have no desire for them. Of course it greatly helped my diabetes. I know every day wont be easy so again I appreciate your help.
  • shannonklein
    shannonklein Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric bypass and have 10 pounds to go of losing 100 pounds best thing I have ever done let me know if there is anything you need add me if you need to
  • piperlin
    Options
    Thank you! I appreciate the support.
  • kimczak
    kimczak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am tryingto make the decision whether to do it or not. I am scared to death.
  • traindisp
    Options
    I love the Gladiator by smoothie king. For some reason I love the taste. And hardly any calories. Since documenting my food intake again, I noticed I'm just not getting adequate protein, so tonight I decided I am doing my normal breakfast and lunch, but a yummy papaya or strawberry smoothie for dinner. My go to breakfast is a Special K crustless quiche, Costco sells them. I just love them and plus side is hubby does also. Then for lunch more of a mix of protein and complex carbs. Also, side note, I am always constipated....and since adding papaya to my diet a couple weeks now, seems to help. Will see if it continues. I've tried about everything. So hoping this continues to assist.
    I've only been tracking for a few days, but find in inspiration and accountability in doing it on here. Hope my sharing helps. Be prepared for a journey. You never realize how social eating can be until your the only one sitting at table , not eating an appetizer or drinking a beverage, just waiting for your precious protein!!!! But, a journey I've never regretted. Struggled yes, but overcome and continue to learn.
  • traindisp
    Options
    kfeathler wrote: »
    I am 1 year post op/ I was initially 230 (I am 5'3"). I got down to 218 before my gastric bypass surgery and today I am 140! I have my moments of regret, but I feel good and back to the weight that I was back in 2005. I also had bilat knee replacements 4 weeks prior to my gastric bypass, so I was a busy girl last year. My biggest thing right now is getting my exercise in. I am a nurse and do 12 hr nights so I am the first to admit I am not where I should be there. I bet if I amp'ed up the exercise I'd drop another 10lbs easily. I encourage you to go for it!! They tell you to expect a plateau around 3-6 months (with a possible weight gain) I have not gained weight back but at 6 months I did hit a plateau for 6 weeks or so. Now I have been at a plateau since April. I have at no point gained any weight back, and they tell me that is not normal for a lot of people, that some weight gain is considered norm. There are foods I can't tolerate even a year out (chicken, eggs, heavy breads) and I was having a nasty battle with blood sugar drops (I am NOT diabetic, this is called dumping syndrome) and we figured out curtained foods do it worse then others. They wanted me to bulk up on yogurt and that was dropping my sugar, even the greek kind......so I did it slowly and now I have no problem. I find I am still prone to thinking I can eat normal portions, you just need to remind yourself small portions. I also find there are days where I do not eat at all, and I don't notice I did it (NOOOOOO good). Become friends with protein shakes! Premier Protein are the best!! You have a world of support! Just do it! there is no time like the present. Just say to yourself what I said "in one year, it'll all have been worth it" and dive in and swim like hell until then! One year goes by sooooo fast you won't even notice.

• traindisp
    Options
    Our stories are similar. And yes, believe me seemed like pre op approval took forever, and I remember thinking this just isn't going to work for me, but before you know it, one year gone and so was 100 lbs. now, hard to believe this is post 11 years. Just remember pouch rules, and don't try cons push thru or break them. My eventual snacking is what has caused my gain, especially late night and forgetting to get protein in first. It truly is a different mind set than any other eating regimen you've ever encountered. Listed to your doctor and if you have access to a nutritionists, use them.
  • Tony_2381
    Tony_2381 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tony fr Columbus OH. I am pre-Op. I'm 61 male. I don't see or hear of many men doing this but I am at a stage in life, work, and weight I have/had to make a choice. I have always battled weight. I graduated HS @ 265 in pre for college footbal, and it did not happen. I left the military 11 yr ago @ 285 after yrs of tape test, pinch test, and all the military stuff. Now 4yr WFH kids grown and just me my lifestyle is slow and very sedimentary. So, Ive gained over 110lbs YEP! alot. So I hope to use this tool (bariatric) to get on track and also limit my portions and drop the weight.