Should You Log Vitamins?

Options
So I dont even know if this is possible, but does anyone log their multi-vitamins on MFP? Everytime I look at my nutrition summary I see that I deficient in vitamins (which I take in the form of supplements) but MFP doesnt know that. Thoughts?

Replies

• AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I log mine - more multi vitamins are in the system already but if not u can always add it! I like to see that I am getting all the nutrition I need whether it be by food or supplements!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I log all my vitamins and supplements.
  • masonmst
    masonmst Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I log mine too!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. If you monitor it, sure, log it.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do.. mostly just to make sure I've taken it for the day. In the past, I'd forget whether or not I had taken it (along with my other medications), so it's helpful for me to log it.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    huh... didn't even think about that. I never have. Not sure if I should? I really only look at the cals, sugar, fat, sodium, not the vitamins/minerals anyway because I figure theyr'e OK to go over some if my daily multi gives me the minimum?
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    I do because I'm tracking some things that are in my vitamins.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I especially log my Omega-3 Fish Oil vitamin because each pill is 10 calories.
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I log mine as a reminder to take them, and also, mine are 15 calories. Not much, But I like to track it.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i should be logging my cleanse then....has anyone done the 365 whole foods two week cleanse? have you felt cleaner and gotten results?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    ok here's a dumb question. How do I see the vitamin & mineral stuff on the website? I've only ever see it on my phone app. I added my 3 daily things to today's, but there are no calories or fat or anything coming up. I take a daily women's multi, a megared krill oil, and a vitamin d.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wow....never thought about logging my multi-vitamin. Interesting.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I take nearly 20 vitamins and supplements ...MFP is a convenient way to keep track of them. However I only add them to the NOTES section of the food diary.
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do :)
  • Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    I log both of mine.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I tried logging mine but there is no calorie count on the bottle, just says negliable. I take 2 right now and i am usually under by a couple of calories which i'd imagine would cover it.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It's best to get your nutrients from real food, when you can, not from supplements.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't.

The supplements I'm taking are because I feel I need that extra in my intake. An extra 10-15 calories isn't worth logging, IMHO, there's no way I could be that accurate with the rest of my food intake so I don't feel its worth recording.

Most importantly, the database on MFP is very incomplete, especially in containing the details of vitamin content of food, so it really isn't reliable enough to measure calcium, for instance.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do, not for the 15 cals it takes up, but because I like to track my nutrients. I'm always low in iron and calcium...I found this out when pregnant from the monthly blood tests, and I see it now as I track my nutrients. Found out the hard way how dangerous a calcium deficiency is by getting a hairline fracture in my tibia that kept me from working out for 8 months while the dr's tried to figure out why I was having such pain. By the time it healed I was back to the weight I was right after I had my baby! Not good ;-(
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's best to get your nutrients from real food, when you can, not from supplements.

Not all supplements are for nutrient purposes, like traditional vitamins. Some people take herbal remedies as opposed to traditional prescriptions. For example, I take cinnamon supplements twice a day to help control my blood sugar so I don't have to take glucophage. Try to stay on topic.

But to answer the original poster, I log mine both as a reminder to take them and because some of mine do add small calorie counts (like the fish oil).