Help-I'm gaining and not losing

Options
I need help!! I've lost 42 pounds since February which is great. But for the last week or two, I've gained weight although I still work out and watch my calorie intake. Only a few pounds but more than I'd care for. I don't eat fried foods, no soda, etc. What am I doing wrong? A friend said I'm building muscle weight. Can I do something to keep the weight off?

Replies

• iluvlife445
    iluvlife445 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You could be taking in too many calories. Try calorie counting.
  • jonalicia2503
    jonalicia2503 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Iluvlife445: I count all my calories and hardly ever go over. I also look at the fat content, etc and still don't go over.
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    My daily calorie intake as per MyFitnessPal is 1310 a day
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You don't mention calories. How many are you eating? Is this more or less than your daily burn level (total including everything from sleeping to intentional exercise). If you are in a deficit, building muscle is unlikely except under very specific circumstances. If it is close to TOM, then water retention. Do you weight daily or weekly?
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    Hi nutmegoreo. My daily calorie intake on the app is 1310 a day. Even if I burn calories, I don't eat into that. So say I burned 200 calories, I still eat less than the 1310 that the app tells me to eat. Right now I'm only at around 800 calories and I've already eaten dinner. I weigh daily as my doctor recommended
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are very normal, but they are frustrating. What has changed in the last 3 weeks? Any increase in exercise? Sodium? How have your sleep and stress level been? Did you change anything in your diet (less fat, more/less fiber, veggies, even a different protein powder)?
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not knowing what your workouts are like, I couldn't say whether you are building muscle. Possibly your muscles are retaining water from your workouts. Double check your caloric intake calculations and make sure your entries are accurate. Be very vigilant about weighing everything- once we start to believe we can eyeball estimates, additional calories will creep in. Make sure you are not overestimating your caloric burns.

When the weight comes down, the weight loss slows- sometimes the hunger increases too- it truly is a curse... our water balance can skew things for a few weeks. Make sure you are drinking enough water everyday. Things should work themselves out in a couple of weeks. If MFP figured out your caloric goals- maybe it is time to check that again?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hi nutmegoreo. My daily calorie intake on the app is 1310 a day. Even if I burn calories, I don't eat into that. So say I burned 200 calories, I still eat less than the 1310 that the app tells me to eat. Right now I'm only at around 800 calories and I've already eaten dinner. I weigh daily as my doctor recommended

I like daily, that way you can see the fluctuations. Have you been using a trending app? They can be very handy to sort through those fluctuations.

New workout routine? Increased intensity? likely water retention

TOM? water retention

Increased sodium intake? water retention

Forgetting or not logging "zero" calorie foods? Not using a food scale? inaccurate logging, could be actual fat gain
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    water weight.. so pesky.. so frustrating!! stay the course!! u got this!!
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Fluctuations are very normal, but they are frustrating. What has changed in the last 3 weeks? Any increase in exercise? Sodium? How have your sleep and stress level been? Did you change anything in your diet (less fat, more/less fiber, veggies, even a different protein powder)?

Haven't really changed anything. Not really an increase in exercising except I've been biking more. I think I can definitely use more fiber tho in my diet. I go over my protein count sometimes tho
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    dfnewcombe wrote: »
    Not knowing what your workouts are like, I couldn't say whether you are building muscle. Possibly your muscles are retaining water from your workouts. Double check your caloric intake calculations and make sure your entries are accurate. Be very vigilant about weighing everything- once we start to believe we can eyeball estimates, additional calories will creep in. Make sure you are not overestimating your caloric burns.

When the weight comes down, the weight loss slows- sometimes the hunger increases too- it truly is a curse... our water balance can skew things for a few weeks. Make sure you are drinking enough water everyday. Things should work themselves out in a couple of weeks. If MFP figured out your caloric goals- maybe it is time to check that again?

Thank you. It was thinking I might be at a stand still with my weight loss right now. I typically go to the gym and use the treadmill or I'll use my bike, stationary bike or walk outside. I definitely drink a lot of water in fact my dr says I drink too much. Haha. I'll check the goals again tho. Thank you :)
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I like daily, that way you can see the fluctuations. Have you been using a trending app? They can be very handy to sort through those fluctuations.

TOM? water retention

Forgetting or not logging "zero" calorie foods? Not using a food scale? inaccurate logging, could be actual fat gain

Thank you again :) the only app I use is MFP for the caloric intake and then runtastic to log my exercises. Do you have any other suggestions?

I use a good scale but don't typically log zero calorie food. I guess I should be?
  • jonalicia2503
    Options
    water weight.. so pesky.. so frustrating!! stay the course!! u got this!!

Thank you!! Definitely not giving up. I appreciate it

• jonalicia2503
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

TOM? water retention

Thank you again :) the only app I use is MFP for the caloric intake and then runtastic to log my exercises. Do you have any other suggestions?

I use a good scale but don't typically log zero calorie food. I guess I should be?

What "zero" calorie foods are you referring to?

I would say more like coffee or say brewed iced tea.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

TOM? water retention

What "zero" calorie foods are you referring to?

I would say more like coffee or say brewed iced tea.

Ah. You could add your coffee. Might as well.

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    also i weigh the most after i leave the gym and after i get home from work. i weigh the least after a full nights rest and after a long weekend of sleeping..
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How are you determining the calories in your food? Are you using cups/spoons, food scale, guesstimating portions? Are you logging everything that you eat drink and cook/season with?