If only I hadn't let things go last year...

Options
TnZMom
TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
Anybody else feel this way? I have been losing twelve pound a year since 2013, when I had my son. SW 212, first GW 159, which is normal BMI for a 5'7" lady and probably maintainable for being 39 years old.

At the end of August 2016, I weighed 169. I was so excited because 159 was totally doable before I turn 40 at the end of October this year.

But I let things slide, didn't log, and wow, you don't have to eat much more than you burn to gain weight. I gained 12 pounds by June. Figure 12 pounds in 12 months is 125 calories a day... going from losing one pound a month to gaining one pound a month is a difference of only 250 calories every day. Good grief.

So when June 2017 came around, I grew some discipline and am back down to 169. But the thought keeps springing up... I could be at first goal right now! Grr.

Anyway, I'm a little nervous because I'm at the point where I messed up last time. But if I keep up the fast pace, I will succeed by The end of August.

Normally I wouldn't lose so fast, but the feeling of disappointment has faded and it feels better now. Once I get to 159, I'll go back to a slower pace. But til then, fat better run away.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I think the key is to back to logging until you feel comfortable about portion sizes. It may take longer for you and for people like me. I'm a slow learner. Ha
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't look in the rear view mirror. You're on the right path now and you know you will not lose sight of your goals. Remember that weight loss might slow down the closer you are to reaching your goal. Be kind to yourself and think about losing .5 to 1 pound a week.
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I keep thinking the same. I started trying 5 years ago with the 5:2 and did well but found it hard to lose the last two pounds to get the next stone down.
    Change of routine then made me add 3 stone in 3 years. I tried again and lost 2 stone but then new jobs, new routine and I put on 2 stone.
    So I'm now using it as my motivation of if I could do it before I can do it again only better.

I realised though that even though I've got a long distance to go I'm not starting from scratch as I've managed to break some of the hardest habits I had so that they're not even a meal or snack option now and never think about wanting them.

Just wish I can break these other habits like chocolate and carbs also.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So much good feedback in this thread. Know that you are not alone on this journey. Your overall health and building sustainable lifestyle changes are the key to success - not an arbitrary number on a scale. You are going in the right direction. Keep it up! Whether you make your short term goal or not, you will be healthier in August and that's the most important take away of it all!
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It felt good to read the support.

I realised though that even though I've got a long distance to go I'm not starting from scratch as I've managed to break some of the hardest habits I had so that they're not even a meal or snack option now and never think about wanting them.

Just wish I can break these other habits like chocolate and carbs also.

That's so true... at least the habits that led to my highest weight, are gone. Lol about chocolate -- supposedly has antioxidants so it's healthy right?

o:)

• ek0513
    ek0513 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This is kind of the same boat I'm in. I lost 30 lb in 2014 and got down to 150 but I ended up taking a break from my weight loss in 2016 and my weight ended up getting as high as 175 again. I finally am almost back down to 150 after starting again in May, and of course I'm sad I let myself go but also I don't know if I would have been motivated to reach more of my Weightloss goals if I had not gained the weight back. I still want to get down to the 130's and I was too comfortable at 150 to try hard to reach the goals I have. Now I'm going strong and hope to stay strong to come even farther this time!
  • KeepOnMovjng
    KeepOnMovjng Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Haha meant to be but guess it's the moderation that is the key.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Change what you can and let the past go.