Doing classes alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else!! I go to Curves by myself and am getting to know people there. The more you go the faster you will get to know people. I think most people go by themselves. You can't depend on someone else to go with you because if they don't go then you won't want to go and then you will be at their mercy. You will probably be more successful if you just go by yourself. Good luck!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I always go alone - but I usually see some people there that I can say Hi how are you to, because I see them in class....

I never think of it as going alone though, that just sounds odd. Why would I feel better about having someone go with me? I don't need someone to keep me motivated if the instructor's any good, and I'm not going to have a lot of time to chat and gossip, so what would going with someone add to the experience?
  • heyjude78
    heyjude78 Posts: 160
    Options
    I go to 24 hour fitness classes by myself all the time; step, zumba, yoga... I make nice chit chat but I'm not there for anyone else but myself. You should totally go for it!
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Does anyone go to fitness classes alone?
    I want to go but I have no one to go with, would it be weird if I went by myself?
    I really want to, but WHAT IF THERE'S PEOPLE I KNOW THERE?
    "ooh look at the loner, here by herself" I can just imagine.. DX
    ugh.
    Is it something people do? Do you think I should?

:-)

Im went to the gym for the first time by myself last week, and got a exercise class booked for next week. I was nervous, but once I started working out, then I was more focused on what I was doing than anyone else.

You should go if you really want to. Hopefully it'll be fine for both of us!!
  • TexasAustinite
    Options
    Go for it! I go to classes at gold's gym by myself. Classes are a great way to add a little variety to your workouts.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I go by myself all the time. So do a lot of other people. If you keep going on a regular basis and introduce yourself to the instructors and other people, you will make gym friends. I remember a few times I had missed classes because of being sick or vacation and people would ask me where I have been. Honestly I don't know where I would be without my classes...I highly recommend them.
  • csch79
    csch79 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I do spin class alone all the time. I've been doing it well over a year. Most of the people in there come alone. You will get to know people (if you want to) quickly because most classes have a group of regulars.

Once the class starts, nobody is thinking about anyone else.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Our local place gets booked up weeks in advance so Ive never been able to go but I would go alone for sure. I have zero friends in my town so Id have no choice anyway lol. But I wouldnt be afriad to go alone.

ETA - I did the Race for Life run on my own too, me and 50,000 other women that is, but I went alone and ran/walked alone.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go alone. It "me' time.

Forget about all that look at the loner stuff. If someone looks at you and says look at the loner, they have bigger problems. Plus fitness places are a great place to meet like minded individuals. I've met some of my best friends from taking the leap and otherwise stepping out of my comfort zone.
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    I think you should go. I just started CrossFit and I go alone. It was wierd for me at first but I was proud I did it. I am starting to get to know people now and am so glad that I made that first step!