I'm dumb and done..

Options
I'm losing motivation in all honesty.

I've been doing ok, but I could be doing better.

I've been really encouraged by how many pounds I've lost lately. I measured it up to 27, but I miscalculated and I've only lost 17 which is pretty much the dumbest thing I've done. That seems like such a small number now when I was celebrating losing over half my goal... I know the scale shouldn't be important, and I should get it out of my head but it's so hard. I don't want to give up but I'm feeling hungry so often it's easier to just eat. There's things I could be doing to speed up the process but I don't want to go crazy in my own mind from starvation. I want to do this slow and steady to keep the weight off, but my mind insists I'm not doing it quickly enough.

Any Encouragement?

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Ouch! I did similar, but since I'm olnly at the beginning if my weight loss it was only 4 lbs. Still hurt though :-(
    Just keep reminding yourself that allntbatbmatters is how you do today. You will get there, and you are doing it the safe and sane way, so it will be much more painless and longer lastung when you do.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, I say congratulations on losing 17 pounds. That's an accomplishment! Everyone gets impatient and demotivated at times. I say, keep doing what you're doing. It's working.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Celebrate the 17 lbs then reassess your goals.

I don't know how much you are trying to lose, but I am guessing you started with around 50lbs.

You may find it easier to have a goal of .5 lbs a week. It will give you more to eat on days you want to, but if you are not particularly hungry some days you can eat 250 or so cals less.

It may be a little slower on paper, but if you are finding yourself unhappy and hungry now there is a greater chance you will binge or quit and never reach your goal.

Cheers, h.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm losing motivation in all honesty.

I've been doing ok, but I could be doing better.

I've been really encouraged by how many pounds I've lost lately. I measured it up to 27, but I miscalculated and I've only lost 17 which is pretty much the dumbest thing I've done. That seems like such a small number now when I was celebrating losing over half my goal... I know the scale shouldn't be important, and I should get it out of my head but it's so hard. I don't want to give up but I'm feeling hungry so often it's easier to just eat. There's things I could be doing to speed up the process but I don't want to go crazy in my own mind from starvation. I want to do this slow and steady to keep the weight off, but my mind insists I'm not doing it quickly enough.

Any Encouragement?

if you're using starvation to lose weight, you're doing it wrong...
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If that's the dumbest thing you've ever done, you're in a good place! I've done things way stupider with way bigger consequences. Maybe try a week or just a few days at maintenance calories to give yourself a break. I know it's really hard, but I really think the slower you do it, the more sustainable it is. Are there ways you can change your eating to help you feel more full? Maybe eating less calorie-dense foods to allow you to eat a larger quantity?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done so far, and I agree slow is the way to go.

Motivation never lasts. You need habits.

Keep tabs on your calorie limit the same way you keep tabs on your bank balance. It doesn't need to be loved or hated.

Don't wait around for motivation. Just do it.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,485 Member
    Options
    Tell your mind to shut up. Well, that won't work, push back. Our brains are spewing stuff out nonstop, much of it nonsense. I think there's something in fat cells that attaches itself to negative thoughts. Well, not really.

But this- if you read this board much you find people everyday wrecked by their own brains. Usually by "not good enough" because "not fast enough". You know the truth- slow and steady wins the race, push back. Another one that helped me is "perfect is the enemy of the good."
    We only need to be good enough to prevail in the end.

Agree with other posters, you need some well planned snacking to keep from being too hungry.
    I found I could tolerate some hunger if I knew a snack was coming soon.

Quit thinking in terms of starvation. It's an unhelpful exaggeration.

Also agree with other posters that motivation is fleeting and unreliable. Good habits will see you through. When really up against it, summon some determination.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    17lbs is fantastic!

Maybe instead of focusing on the scale, you could take measurements? Ultimately it isn't about the weight on the scale, it's about how you look and feel in your clothes (and yourself) so when you've maybe had a week where you haven't lost weight, you may find you've lost an inch off your waist.

Keep it up - if half your goal was 27lbs, then 17lbs is still around a third which is very impressive :)
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry lower your expectations for a fast weight loss and increase your daily calories.