Run then lift, or lift then run?

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
Supplementing my marathon training with some lifting workouts, and it works best if I do them back to back. Which to do first, and what's your logic?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Supplementing my marathon training with some lifting workouts, and it works best if I do them back to back. Which to do first, and what's your logic?

Do whatever your primary focus is first.

Most people are Weight lifters that run so the recommendation is run second.

You're a marathoner who wants to lift weights... run first.. Probably run less on lifting days than normal, until you figure out your balance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would say that since you are specifically training for a marathon, the running should be your primary focus...your lifts are probably going to suck though when your runs get longer if you're doing them back to back.

If it were me, I'd probably just pick a day that I don't run and get in a solid full body workout in once per week to cross train...that's pretty much what my wife does when she's training.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am definitely not an expert, but I think it's personal preference. I usually run in the morning and lift in the evening....Just better timing for me. I run in the morning because I like to run fasted, there is less traffic and it's cooler. I lift in the evening because my gym isn't open early enough and on run days I don't have time to do both at once unless I got up at 3am... :#
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Whichever you want your performance to be better for, you should do first. That being said, starting out fatigued on some of the shorter weekly runs (that aren't speed work) might not necessarily be a bad thing since you are training for a full marathon.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you can split them, am/pm I'd run in the am, lift pm.
    If you are doing one immediately after the other, even though running is your primary focus, I'd lift 1st. Because it's much easier to run tired than it is to lift tired. You're not likely to be following such an intense lifting routine that's going to cause any problems with your ability to carry out an easy run afterwards.
  • AObravo123
    AObravo123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Lift then run
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I lift on separate days to my run days. I run 3x and lift 2x with 2 rest days. If you will insist on doubling up, then I believe it's lift then run, so that you can nail the lifting form correctly.
  • AuthorNinja
    AuthorNinja Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not training for anything specific, but three days a week I do strength first then run, and for the other two days I only run and for much longer :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are training for a marathon it will be best to lift after your runs. The type of lifting that would best compliment your training can be easily done after a run.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    If you can split them, am/pm I'd run in the am, lift pm.
    If you are doing one immediately after the other, even though running is your primary focus, I'd lift 1st. Because it's much easier to run tired than it is to lift tired. You're not likely to be following such an intense lifting routine that's going to cause any problems with your ability to carry out an easy run afterwards.

The converse is also true.