Do you agree lats workout is not for men who like to wear suits?

Options
I used to always workout with light weights for my lats and never had an issue wearing slim fit suits and regular fit suits .But ever since I started working out with heavy weights my lads started to grow and dress shirts became so tight that I just didn't feel comfortable .
So do you agree that lats work out which builds the width of the back should be avoided if you wear suits?

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's most important to be happy with yourself and your appearance, but I both tailor my suits and lift heavy things.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I don't have to wear suits anymore but all of my old suits and shirts fit fine now that I lost almost 40#.

Could always fit the jackets but the pants were a problem until I lost the weight.

Even if not, suit jackets/psnts can be altered and tailored. So, can shirts.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Brooks Brothers has 3 torso fits, order yours with the Madison fit.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I wasn't aware this was even a concern *shrug*
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ugh no. You're going to look better if you can fill that suit out.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big but I am very picky about my work clothes and I do need to be careful when shopping for shirts.

I buy off the peg but pick a higher end brand (I'm UK based so tend to go with Charles Tyrwhitt, Thomas Pink, or T.M Lewin) which sells in collar and sleeve length, then the very talented MrsStealthHealth will put a couple of darts in the back to slim the waist down a little. I tend to find that if I try on slim fit shirts (especially from the large chains) they are usually too tight on the arms or too big at the waist.

I noticed that Thomas Pink have a new Athletic range the last time I was in their shop but I didn't try on (I was just snooping around to kill time whilst MrsStealthHealth was in the Kath Kiddson shop a few doors up the road).

For suits I've not really had much of a problem with off the peg, although some of the more fashionable trousers tend to be too slim in the thigh for me - but being a little older I tend to find "fashionable" appeals less to me and my suits are pretty much classic fit.

I have got one bespoke suit and, for anyone in the position to spend the money on such a purchase, I'd highly recommend it. I bought a 4 piece (3 piece with an extra pair of trousers) and I can honestly say that whatever my current state of body fat - It fits me better than anything else I own. It wasn't cheap, but it's now 5 years old and still looks great. I guess that you get what you pay for.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Legs are more of an issue for me. Well quads are anyway (team no calves).
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    better that your back is too tight on your suit and shirt and not the belly.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Do you think women who like to wear dresses shouldn't do lat work?
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Growing the Latissimus dorsi is fine regarding the fit of dress suits. This area of form fitting also does not seem to be one of the tougher adjustments made and performed by clothiers.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

No, but I do usually need help with my zipper.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    c'mon OP.... aren't you the guy who just started working out a couple of months ago and has questions about skinny jeans - who thinks he can see his muscles grow on a daily basis from BCAA's? I'm curious - as maybe I missed it... what are your stats and have you ever posted any kind of pic? How huge have you gotten in the past 2 months? You keep posting these odd threads...
  • bbell1985
    Options
    CJ_Holmes wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

No, but I do usually need help with my zipper.

That's why I go backless. I'm not that big though.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    So, I am now getting non-stop banner ads and pop-ups about high-end men's suits.