Energy equation - the best article I've ever read

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/metabolic-damage

This is for all the people who feel the CI/CO equation doesn't work or think that it can be easily calculated

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Maybe I needed a better title, kind of sad that something so informative and useful easily slipped to page 2 without a single comment.
  • rexlutz
    rexlutz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Comment...It is a great article!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm only at TEE, and find this fascinating. It brings up the question of "is it really only calories that matter vs type of calories?" which, TBH, I thought was already answered. While overall CICO should remain true, this could be why some people feel that they lose more successfully on so-called whole/natural/unprocessed food diets. I think CICO as is typically explained in these forums works so well because we tend to use the highest estimates for CI and base the entire equation off of more conservative numbers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Good read
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Very informative article and I think it would be great as a response to all the "I've ate good all week and didn't lose weight or I actually gained" posts. It really is more complex than calories in/calories out because we are all so individual in our chemistry and make up. I will remember this when I get to the point of the scale not moving as quickly as I'd like and try not to get frustrated. Thanks for sharing!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Wow GREAT article. Exactly what I try to explain to people when I talk about how I can maintain at two caloric levels. It is not because calories in vs calories out is "wrong" it is because of the unconscious aspects of the equations and bodily regulations etc.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Fantastic article - provides all the basics in addition to links for those requiring a deeper dive and more data.

This should be stickied.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Sticky that!
    And the article had very little selling of their product. I would like more citations, but it's better than most of the good explanations online.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Very insightful article. Have flagged it for future reference.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Must fidget more! And eat my sweet potato cold...also it seems that I can eat my fill of nuts, log only one serving, and lose weight. Or I'm crazy...
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This was really informative...thanks for sharing!
  • laurar88
    laurar88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a really great article - thanks for the insight, I've bookmarked to reference when I'm having a moment of despair!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    rybo-- Thanks for posting!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    That is a really well written article. Thanks for sharing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    To nominate a post for a sticky, post in this thread in Forum Feedback: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260479/nominate-posts-for-announcement-status-stickies
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Very good article. Bumped and nominated.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    saved! great find :)
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    That was an excellent article. Thanks for sharing