The psychology: MFP vs. Weight Watchers

Options
I am several months into tracking on MFP and have had a huge revelation. Since my early 30s when I started to gain weight I have been on Weight Watchers about or 4 times. That’s 15 years. The first 2 times it worked for me. I lost all the weight I needed to (20-30 pounds). Four children, the worst life tragedy, and not coping healthfully got me in a position of needing help to lose weight again. I tried WW 2 more times and failed. I just couldn’t keep up with the tracking. But, what was really happening is that if I missed a day or a weekend I got resentful, resentful that I was paying and wasting money. Missing one day would turn into a month and instead of getting back on track I just became more frustrated that I was wasting money. I know! It doesn’t make sense. You would think that paying for a service would make you use it.

Then I discovered MFP. I started using it and have continued to use it. I have missed a few weekends of tracking plus a vacation where I took a break. But I came back no problem. I thought about this to figure out the difference and it’s because it’s free. There is no pressure either way. When the stress and frustration about not using a paid service is removed, I track more faithfully.

I am only 5 pounds down and have a lot to go (40 lbs to get to a healthy BMI) but I am confident that I will do it this time. Lord knows it isn’t easy for women in their 40s but MFP is the tool to help me get there.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've never used WW but I also wonder that is someone has a "bad week" or they just have a gain because bodies naturally fluctuate, they feel ashamed and frustrated about going to the meetings for their weigh in. I also wonder how many turn to unhealthy behaviours like not using all their points then becoming starving or feeling deprived and have a binge.
  • grandmagege
    grandmagege Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know just what she means about using WW and wasting money. i'm on it now and i can't stick to it. I really want to lose weight but I don't have the willpower. Iv'e lost weight so many times before and always gain it back. so when I get my willpower do do it I want it for the rest of my life time. I'm looking at SB diet because most my weight is belly weight :(
  • polvo71
    polvo71 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The key for me is that MFP is FREE. I feel like there is no pressure and that's what makes me keep to it. Strange! But it works for me
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,426 Member
    Options
    I was just texting my friend who was on ww in the past & said to me I must be thinking about food all day & I don't at all & didn't know what she meant. now I know. She's my best friend & I love her but it gets annoying when she keeps giving me tips she got from ww. She's not doing ww anymore & hasn't for a long time & yes, she does need to lose weight but I don't bother her about it. Actually I give her all my clothes that got too big for me. Also I do like support but I'm doing this for me & have been doing fine without support. Not that hubby & family DON'T support me, they just aren't involved, it's not an "issue" they do compliment me tho. I do get encouragement from here mfp & spend some time on here every day, & learn so much but ultimatly I'm my own support
  • meplunk
    meplunk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    polvo71 wrote: »
    I am several months into tracking on MFP and have had a huge revelation. Since my early 30s when I started to gain weight I have been on Weight Watchers about or 4 times. That’s 15 years. The first 2 times it worked for me. I lost all the weight I needed to (20-30 pounds). Four children, the worst life tragedy, and not coping healthfully got me in a position of needing help to lose weight again. I tried WW 2 more times and failed. I just couldn’t keep up with the tracking. But, what was really happening is that if I missed a day or a weekend I got resentful, resentful that I was paying and wasting money. Missing one day would turn into a month and instead of getting back on track I just became more frustrated that I was wasting money. I know! It doesn’t make sense. You would think that paying for a service would make you use it.

Then I discovered MFP. I started using it and have continued to use it. I have missed a few weekends of tracking plus a vacation where I took a break. But I came back no problem. I thought about this to figure out the difference and it’s because it’s free. There is no pressure either way. When the stress and frustration about not using a paid service is removed, I track more faithfully.

I am only 5 pounds down and have a lot to go (40 lbs to get to a healthy BMI) but I am confident that I will do it this time. Lord knows it isn’t easy for women in their 40s but MFP is the tool to help me get there.

• meplunk
    meplunk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and am 40, just left WW today. All I think about is food when on it. MFP seems more fitness oriented, more than food, which is what I need. About 15 lbs to go after having my last baby who just turned one. Would love ideas of how you are successful!!!!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Veggies are free points on WW right? That doesn't make sense to me since they have calories. CICO and MFP just make sense.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    orangegato wrote: »
    Veggies are free points on WW right? That doesn't make sense to me since they have calories. CICO and MFP just make sense.

I have had lots of friends do WW and never understood this. They would also be told that anything is exercise like just your everyday movement. I have never been on WW but I've been subjected to public weigh in and I can see that not being good for the psyche. Heck sometimes women, often once a month, just can't help but gain a few pounds.
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me, WW just got too complicated with its rules and its tools and its meetings and obligations. It just added up to a lot of extra thinking and planning and it wasn't sustainable for me and my busy lifestyle. MFP is amazing because it's free, and the only obligations are the ones you put on yourself. It's building healthy habits and awareness about food, and the "rules" are so simple. CICO. Done.

I'm only a month in, but I feel much more optimistic this time around. At this point in WW, I'd already be feeling overwhelmed.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IMHO, weight watchers and its ilk continue to exist because the majority of people who use it fail and continue to go back and try again - its not a sustainable method of weight loss
  • kaleforlife
    kaleforlife Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've never used WW but I also wonder that is someone has a "bad week" or they just have a gain because bodies naturally fluctuate, they feel ashamed and frustrated about going to the meetings for their weigh in. I also wonder how many turn to unhealthy behaviours like not using all their points then becoming starving or feeling deprived and have a binge.

I have been chided for having a bad week on weight watcher's by a few leaders with a snarky remark or two because of the monthly fluctuation you mention. These bad weeks occur before my menses. After receiving a few snarky remarks I decided it was time to leave WW. I just think it is insane that they treat monthly fluctuations as a true weight gain. There are other contributing factors that led to me discontinuing WW. All in all, WW is becoming just another diet.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've done WW probably 7 or 8 times over the years... Quitting them for good was, for me, a few things:

- having a hard time fitting the weekly weigh-in into my schedule, which made me frustrated and prone to skip it
    - everyone around me was trying to cheat the system -- one of my meetings was next door to a Dunkin' Donuts, everyone would come to the Saturday morning meeting and weigh in early, then go next door to get breakfast and a massive iced coffee loaded with sugar and cream. Everyone would sit through the meeting slurping 800 calories worth of iced coffee, talking about how they'd start counting points again tomorrow.
    - so many of the conversations devolved every week into how to eat junk for the fewest points... the points system seemed to steer people towards "how much ice cream can I get away with", instead of leading them to choose healthier foods the way it was intended. I just never felt inspired to be <u>healthy</u> when I was on WW.

Not to mention that they reinvent themselves every year or so... why can't they find a tried-and-true method and stick to it? I remember when I did WW in college, their system was that you added in foods week by week. So week 1 was super restrictive -- basically veggies and skinless chicken breasts -- then each week you added a few food back in that were more tempting, I guess the idea was to break your addiction to higher-calorie foods. I remember week 3 was when peanut butter was allowed back in, and I swear I ate half a jar that week. LOL
  • newlark01
    newlark01 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've tried ww a few times but never managed to stick to it - I ended up thinking about food all the time and working out how to get the maximum food for the fewest points. Mfp is so much easier to track particularly once you 've logged your most frequent foods and it is much easier to put in new foods than try to calculate points. mfp is working so well fir me and as others have said the fact that it is free takes the pressure off. Accountabilty comes from the people you add as friends rather than a single leader who you may or may not get on with...
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I liked attending the meetings but have decided to use the time spent attending a meeting, going to the gym instead.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing... accountability for your eating lifestyle and weight stops and ends with you!
    My view is that it's easy to fail with programs like WW and others like SlimFast or Herbalife.... the reason is that you can say.. their program failed or their products or you didn't get the right support. I know this.. I've been that person. Tried, failed, tried, failed.. Interestingly WW is only successful for about 1-2 people in a thousand.
    This time I did it on my own - made myself accountable for me.
    I wanted this journey for me, not anyone else and I didn't need a ra-ra group. So here I am, 3 years later and 100+lbs down. I am accountable and responsible for what I put in my mouth. MFP has been invaluable for tracking not only my macro's but the macronutrients and calories. The articles and forums have provided information when I've chosen to go look for it.
    What ended up working for me is a ketogenic way of eating - not saying it's for everyone - but it works for me.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started WW in 2012 and managed to lose 40 lbs. I fell off the wagon and gained back almost 30 of that over the last few years and recently (end of July) I started tracking faithfully on MFP and I am loving it so much more than WW. I have come to the conclusion that MFP works better for me for 2 reasons. 1. WW has a weekly system...if you use up your extra points on the first day of your week, you are basically screwed for a whole week until your points start over. You have to stick to your minimum daily points which was never enough for me. With MFP, each day is a new day. If you mess up today just track it and move on and tomorrow starts fresh. I found myself frequently getting off track because I would mess up early in the week and then I'd blow off the whole week. 2. MFP allows me to choose what food I want to eat. All food is equal and I choose if the calories are worth it or not. WW "punishes" any food with sugar or fat so heavily with points that it was impossible for me to stick to it. I LOVE my 2 cups of coffee each morning with 2 tsp sugar and 2 Tbs creamer...those 2 cups equals 190 calories of my day...I easily fit it in every day and love every single sip of it. With WW it literally used up almost 1/2 my points for the day because the sugar...ridiculous. If you are good with eating chicken breast, veggies and fruit than you'll probably do well on WW...I need alot more variety than that.
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've sucessfully lost weight with WW in 2011, so in general, I'm pretty ok with them. I did it only online, not attending any meetings, so the "pressure" and the "humiliation" was definitely not given.
    However, I haven't learned anything about food during this time. I simply counted the points and it was never possible, to guess the value because the nutritional info didn't help. So I had no feeling about calories and nutrition at all. I had some magical deficit and it worked, but I couldn't take any information back into my life outside of WW.

I know that many people wonder about the "veggi/fruits are free" story. For me, that was always clear. This is just a trick to make people snack "free" things, and therefore improve their diet. There is a clear statement that if you're not losing, eating too much "free" stuff might be the reason and should be monitored. I always found that pretty logical.

Logging my food with MFP finally gave me an idea about all the basic nutritional stuff and I can slowly guess the value of food and actually make educated decisions, rather than just wild guesses.