What was you wake up call?

Options
I was just wondering when everyone realized enough was enough and decided to lose the weight? For me, I'm planning my wedding (June 9th 2012 is the day). Anyhow--My mom and I decided on the spur of the moment to go look at wedding dresses. I had my eye on a beautiful gown at a local boutique. We walked in and I went straight to the dress. The owner encouraged me to look at a few and try them on. I was so excited to try on my "dream dress" but as I walked into the dressing room and looked at the tag, my heart broke. My heart wasn't broken over the price...it was broke over the size. She had given me a size 8. I was a size 14!! This would never fit me!! This was the only one in stock, and she wasn't planning on getting anymore in. So I embarrassingly held the dress up to me and walked out of the changing room. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to cry. I kept a smile on my face and pretended that it didn't affect me, but clearly it did. Now, looking back on that day only a few months ago, I am so thankful. It was just what I needed! I have gained so much more from this weight loss journey than that dress would have ever done for me. A wedding is one day...but a healthy lifestyle is forever! Oh and I'm a size 8 now by the way!! Wohooo!! Lol!

Replies

• Pinkdueces2
    Pinkdueces2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please share your stories!!
  • dragonfly1120
    dragonfly1120 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a school nurse. The day I couldn't run to the football field when there was a student down was the day I wanted to fall into a hole and never come out. I'm not extremely overweight, but with asthma, even 30 pounds overweight just takes my air. I was embarrassed and felt like a failure. I was halfway there and had to stop to catch my breath or pass out. The coach was standing over the student looking at me like..."hurry up!" That was it. I decided it was time to do something about it. People rely on me and I can't do my job being overweight. To top it off... a 35 year old very active friend, recently died from a blood clot. I thought...if she got a blood clot and she's active.....what are my chances of getting one? I'm too young to chance that...my kids need me.
  • prettyprpro
    prettyprpro Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had my wake up call December 17, 2010. During that week, I was having chest pains, headaches and I saw blood in my urine (sorry TMI). At the time, I wasn't taking my hypentension pills. When I got home that evening, I told my husband to take me to the hospital. He was questioning me what was wrong. At the time, I didn't want to talk about it. When I got to the hospital, I found out my blood pressure was 206/80. Then, I was was rushed to the ER section and they put me on an IV. I was so scared that I was going to die because they were so fast putting the IV in me. The doctor came in to tell me that I would have a heart attack and die if I don't take my meds. I was so scared. I instantly got serious, laid off of the sodium and I lost 15 pounds. I gained 5 lbs back so I wanted to make sure to get back on track.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When I started noticing that I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. I started to relate to my bigger friends who would complain about their arms and thighs, etc...I never understood why they hated those areas until I found myself standing there thinking the same thing. I used to be someone who loved mirrors and wanted them everywhere!

And also the fact that I have a husband and two boys that are all active and I can't keep up with them.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am an instructor in a technical program at a community college. I always tell my students, "if you want it, you will just hold you breath and give it all you have. I don't ask you to be perfect. I ask you to be your best." Then one day when I said, "But I want to loose weight." it hit me - - - hold your breath, give it all you have, you don't have to be perfect, just do your best.

True, it is easier said than done.. but duh, how can I have inspired students for over a decade with words I don't put into action myself?
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Went to Bay Beach in Wisconsin while we were on vacation the week of this month. Went on a ride with my son, had a hell of a time getting the rope that holds you in place latched, and an even harder time getting it unlatched when the ride was over.

So I can either just never go on a ride again or I can slim down so it's not an issue. I choose to ride again.
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I somewhat got serious about weight loss after I seen a picture of myself at my cousins birthday party! I couldn't believe how big I had gotten and I didn't want to look that way for my wedding. So I half heartedly lost 20 pounds for my wedding. Once the wedding was done I went back to eating fast food everyday and not working out, so I gained a few pounds back. And then one day I was walking up the stairs with a couple loads of laundry and by the time I got to the top I could barely breathe (also didn't help that I was a pack a day smoker) It hit me that I was 24 and had a hard time climbing up stairs. Where was I gonna be in 10 years? How was I going to keep up when we decided to have kids? So I started by adding in exercise everyday, then I started to change my eating habits, and then I quit smoking. I have never felt better and now I can run up those stairs with a basket full of clothes like its nothing!
  • garreltsnk
    garreltsnk Posts: 19
    Options
    I took in my 4 month old granddaughter Dec. 19, 2008. At the beginning I never thought of my weight, until she started moving, moving, and moving, then I realized I need to in better shape. I knew I needed to loose weight.