This is hard!!

Options
Losing weight is so hard. I wish losing is easy than gaining. I am working out two times in the morning and at night. Cutting down the soda and sugary drinks. No candy or junk food. Eating more healthy. But I am struggling with eating healthy. I am always used to just eating whatever I want. I didn't care about myself. I always binged on foods. I always had a weight roller coaster. I just want the weight off and keep it off. Anyone struggling with something like this?

Replies

• Loleapop
    Loleapop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This app is perfect for that. Before you order or purchase something you can check it out on here to see if its worth it. Also allow yourself to succumb to a craving every once in a while, basically treat yourself. And cooking your favorites helps because then you can use alternative, healthier ingredients. I'm a roller coaster rider to, ill lose maybe half my weight goal then gain it back. So if you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Make small changes at a time. Some people go all in all at once but I've found it's more sustainable to make small changes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Losing weight isn't hard. It's just eating a little less, and maybe moving a bit more. It's all the rigid but random rules, the restrictions and self-loathing, the guilt and constant conflicts, that is hard.

Use MFP the way it's designed. First decide if weight loss is needed - a BMI over 25 means overweight, 18.5 to 24.9 means normal weight. Plot in your stats and set up MFP to lose the closest equivalent to 1% of your body weight per week. Then use your food diary - weigh and log everything you eat, and every drink that has calories. Hit your calorie goal every day. That's all you have to do, but you have to do it for a long time. To be able to do this for a long time, you have to get in proper nutrition, and you have to avoid getting bored. Find out what healthy eating means, and how you can eat both healthily and pleasureably.

Then exersise if you want to, not to lose weight. Weight loss happens primarily in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Eat slightly less of "what you want". The all or nothing mentality of "I must eat clean" and "no candy or junk food" is probably going to mean that you feel deprived. This is likely ot lead to failure in the form of an all out binge.

Do the least possible to start a slow weight loss.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I would start with food. Exercise builds muscle but really it is what you put in your mouth that makes the change in weight happen. I think all of us struggle with the same things. Cut the junk out first. Drink water not sodas. Snack on food rather than junk. Make small changes. They add up. But if I see the junk I want the junk!

I find the more sugary/junky things I eat, the more I want. And food tastes way better when you cut the junk. I noticed the change in flavour after the first two weeks. And the junk just doesn't have the same 'call' any more.

Focus on one change at a time. You will get there. But the only way to stop the roller coaster ride is to make changes that you can live with. Because this is your life and to get smaller and to be smaller, you have to change what you are doing. Otherwise, the old habits creep back in and you are going up on that ride again.

When I think of junk food now I think of all the money that goes in to the product testing to find what they call the "bliss" spot. It makes me annoyed to think "they" are manipulating me to eat and ruin my long term health. It is enough to make me think about not eating the crap, or at least putting it in a bowl for portion control. It has helped and now 'junk' just isn't in the house to eat. We don't miss it.

You have started and I know it is "again" but a real honest efforted start is a hard thing. Keep at it. You know what to do.

Best wishes.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If it were essy there wouldn't be an obesity issue in North America... don't fool yourself into thinking that diet is a temporary solution... regaining a healthy body weight may take years... and developing a healthy lifestyle will take just as long...hard work now and being patient and forgiving with yourself will be the key to success... without changing my diet too much... but making regular trips to the gym 3-5 days/ week I haven't lost a lb... but have lost 3 inches off my waist
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Diet is more than half of the battle. If you're going to the gym too much and not eating how you should, you're going to be burned out and miserable. Don't set yourself up for failure!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me to say "no" to myself too. It's the most loving thing to do for the long-term, but in the short-term it seems like withholding. I think we are by nature creatures looking for instant gratification. Discipline is hard-won.
  • kweenkatz
    kweenkatz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started taking my journey seriously as well and what I can recommend is maybe try to do it with a friend? Having someone there who is also on the same journey as you will help. You can exercise together, talk eachother from succumbing to the cravings and most of all commemorate every time one of you reaches another milestone towards your goal.

You will get there in the end, every day is a step closer to where you want to be. Try to think positively and don't beat yourself up when you do take a step back, no one is perfect. It's what you do after that matters.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts above. I personally do not think that losing weight is difficult either. You either want it or you do not want it. I think the amount of weight that you want to lose makes a difference as well. I had a lot of weight to lose so I knew I had to get a totally new mindset, first of all about what I thought about myself. I really decided that improving my health was far better than eating anything and everything that I thought I wanted to eat.
    I still eat any food I want, but I do not eat everything I want every time I want it. I do exercise 5-6 days a week, but I do not kill myself working out for hours. I guess I will say maybe losing weight is not easy but it is simple. I always say get a good plan that works for you, commit to it, get a laser like focus on your goals and never give up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do a bunch of incessant exercise...you're going to burn out.