Need motivation for exercise

Options
I suffer from clinical depression and soical anexity and I am wondering if anyone out there with the same or similar issue and how do you motivate yourself to get up and exercise even for just 30mins a day. Thank you for helping

Replies

• rebeccamarie9
    rebeccamarie9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from these things, but I have people close to me that do. One of them got big into crossfit a while back and while she still struggles with the same things, she rants and raves about how good exercise makes her feel!! Maybe scheduling it into your day/week as a no choice kind of thing would help, that way it would just become a habit and typical rather than something you need tons of motivation for! After a while maybe you would even crave some good exercise if you had to miss a day or something!
    I just want to encourage you!
  • Pyxi819
    Pyxi819 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't suffer from these things, but I have people close to me that do. One of them got big into crossfit a while back and while she still struggles with the same things, she rants and raves about how good exercise makes her feel!! Maybe scheduling it into your day/week as a no choice kind of thing would help, that way it would just become a habit and typical rather than something you need tons of motivation for! After a while maybe you would even crave some good exercise if you had to miss a day or something!

Thank you for the kind words
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Pyxi819 wrote: »
    I suffer from clinical depression and soical anexity and I am wondering if anyone out there with the same or similar issue and how do you motivate yourself to get up and exercise even for just 30mins a day. Thank you for helping

That cutie in your profile pic is great motivation.

Take longer walks, walk a little further each time. I have a daughter who suffers with MMD and walking miles through woods with no-one around but our dog is great for her.
    Just push yourself to get out that door.

• Pyxi819
    Options

That cutie in your profile pic is great motivation.

Take longer walks, walk a little further each time. I have a daughter who suffers with MMD and walking miles through woods with no-one around but our dog is great for her.
    Just push yourself to get out that door.

Yeah my dog has got me through some rough times she is an angel also, I am glad your daughter is doing that good for her thank you for the kind words I will try.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My brother suffers from the same things and he finds exercise to be very helpful in managing especially his anxiety. It could be a gift to yourself rather than a punishment.
  • Pyxi819
    Options
    My brother suffers from the same things and he finds exercise to be very helpful in managing especially his anxiety. It could be a gift to yourself rather than a punishment.

Maybe, It's just getting the motivation too want to even try is what I struggle with a lot. Also thank you for sharing that with me.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Maybe set up some sort of reward chart for yourself? When you've gone 5 times you get to book a spa day, when you've gone 10 times you get to buy a new pair of shoes, when you've gone 50 times you get to book a holiday? That sort of thing? Depends on what makes you 'tick' as a person I think and what reason you have for wanting to work out more. Do you want to be stronger? Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to eventually be able to finish a mud run? Or a marathon? In order to find the motivation I think you need to find your "why" for why you would be doing it at all. Does that make sense? What is your why for getting more workouts in?
  • Pyxi819
    Options
    Maybe set up some sort of reward chart for yourself? When you've gone 5 times you get to book a spa day, when you've gone 10 times you get to buy a new pair of shoes, when you've gone 50 times you get to book a holiday? That sort of thing? Depends on what makes you 'tick' as a person I think and what reason you have for wanting to work out more. Do you want to be stronger? Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to eventually be able to finish a mud run? Or a marathon? In order to find the motivation I think you need to find your "why" for why you would be doing it at all. Does that make sense? What is your why for getting more workouts in?

Thank you I will have to figure that out it is some great advice I appreciate it very much I never looked at it that way.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    also check if there is someone who can be your workout buddy, that will provide motivation
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

To help with the social amenity part work out at home. Push ups sit ups leg lifts dips you can get a heavy bag and punch it um toe raises weightless squats. That way you don't need to worry about going to a gym. Music has always seemed to help me motive myself nothing like listening to eye of the tiger on repeat
  • Pyxi819
    Options

To help with the social amenity part work out at home. Push ups sit ups leg lifts dips you can get a heavy bag and punch it um toe raises weightless squats. That way you don't need to worry about going to a gym. Music has always seemed to help me motive myself nothing like listening to eye of the tiger on repeat

I will try that takes you very much
  • thieambe
    thieambe Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I had to make sure I didn't know you, because this friend could be me
  • thieambe
    thieambe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay seriously I just posted an amazing page long personal experience for the OP and it didn't even POST.

Message me if you want to talk, I'm in your place.
  • kiramckell
    kiramckell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have severe clinical depression. The most I can get myself to do is like 10 minutes a day and that won't give me visible results. I need advice other than food journaling and the other usual things. Anyone have any unconventional methods of motivating/pushing through? Really desperate.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,231 Member
    Options
    Through my rough bits a couple of things have worked -

I don't make dinner until I have done at least a short exercise session. When time for making dinner rolls around it gets delayed if some exercise has not been done! There are some great short workout ideas out there. Sometimes it's fun enough to make it a bit longer. Sometimes not. But it always feels good that you actually did it.

No shower without sweat. This rule got me down 30 pounds and really helped. If I do not get good and sweaty I do not shower.

I also like a habit tracker (loop works well and had no ads) but that can be tricky if you have a bad streak. I like the reminders and the thinking about how to make positive habits.

Anyhow these are just some examples. A simple rule or two helped me with commitment even when I didn't want to. Good luck!
  • KittaLynn
    KittaLynn Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I'm here with you in the very same spot. Years of yoyo-ing through the ups and downs of bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, and such debilitating bouts of depression. I am acutely aware of how crucial exercise is, especially for those of us who are living with mental illness. We need those endorphins, baby!!! But the bed or the couch or whatever other dark hole I want to stay in is too safe to leave for the bright cold stare of the gym (or wherever).
    But look at you! Taking such a positive and helpful step simply by asking for help. That's why I'm here today. To get real person support so I'm not trying to do it all by myself.