Struggling to maintain clean diet :(

2»

Replies

• MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Eat what you desire, see how it fits in calories, how it affects macro's. Adjust a bit if needed.

No food restrictions. <3
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Having a one cheat day a week helps me stay on track. I stuff myself unlimited junk and sweets on Saturday.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Don't "eat clean." Make better choices and eat better portions of what you regularly eat.

If you cannot maintain a diet for a lifetime, its not going to work. Figure out what works for you, gets you the nutrients you need AND the pleasure in eating that you need but still keeps you at a calorie level to maintain the weight you want.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Small changes...

and if you fail one week, try a little harder next week. Don´t be so hard on yourself and try to always find ways of be better
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    bassi1978 wrote: »
    They are about right, i do put everything in my diary i eat.

I agree, this is the problem right here. That's way too little, no wonder you keep going off the rails.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    bassi1978 wrote: »
    I do really well for a week then go back to eating rubbish again. Why is it so difficult to maintian a diet :(

Because the thought of "I can never have _____________ (fill in the fave food you're avoiding) ever again my life" is setting one's self up for failure.

Only for moderators. Not for abstainers. (And anyway, the real issue is that the OP is seriously undereating.)

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

When dealing with temptation, I often see the advice, “Be moderate. Don’t have ice cream every night, but if you try to deny yourself altogether, you’ll fall off the wagon. Allow yourself to have the occasional treat, it will help you stick to your plan.”

I’ve come to believe that this is good advice for some people: the “moderators.” They do better when they avoid absolutes and strict rules.

For a long time, I kept trying this strategy of moderation–and failing. Then I read a line from Samuel Johnson, who said, when someone offered him wine: “Abstinence is as easy to me as temperance would be difficult.
    Ah ha! Like Dr. Johnson, I’m an “abstainer.”

I find it far easier to give something up altogether than to indulge moderately. When I admitted to myself that I was eating my favorite frozen yogurt treat very often–two and even three times a day–I gave it up cold turkey. That was far easier for me to do than to eat it twice a week. If I try to be moderate, I exhaust myself debating, “Today, tomorrow?” “Does this time ‘count’?” “Don’t I deserve this?” etc. If I never do something, it requires no self-control for me; if I do something sometimes, it requires enormous self-control.

There’s no right way or wrong way–it’s just a matter of knowing which strategy works better for you. If moderators try to abstain, they feel trapped and rebellious. If abstainers try to be moderate, they spend a lot of precious energy justifying why they should go ahead and indulge.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Read up on "all or nothing" cognitive distortion.
    Redefine clean and rubbish and you are well on your way.
    If there isn't enough "clean" food at home you may choose not to eat at all. Which then becomes a destructive cycle the first time you pass a fast food joint.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Meal prep. If I didn't prep my meals every week, who knows what I would eat. Weekends I'm not as strict, but I do try to be mindful so that my clothes still fit on Monday.