Cheat day makes me feel sick.

Options
jay1q2w
jay1q2w Posts: 1 Member
I had lost 100lbs and had no problem doing it. After getting married, having kids, and a new job I gained about 40lbs. I am currently trying to lose the weight again but I've noticed on my cheat days after a good meal I feel horrible. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest and threw out my whole body. If I try to fall asleep I may have a panic attack. I have to wait awhile before I can sleep. I was wondering if anyone feels this way too.

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As a child, we ate at Denny's; almost daily. Then it became every couple of weeks as an adult, well when it became once a month; I then spent 2 days unable to leave the house due to diarrhea, it wasn't until the 3rd time it occurred that I realized that my lack of it; was causing it & thus I maintain a variety of foods, within my diet; for this purpose. So that, I am able to; consume anything & not suffer like this later!
  • RitchieEats
    RitchieEats Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cheat days often mean a larger intake of high sodium, high fat foods often times saturated fat in large quantities. These types of foods contribute to elevated blood pressure and create stress for the body which may explain some of your sleep issues.

I agree with @sosteach, avoid cheat days and just incorporate the cheat item into your day. If the scale is regularly moving in the direction you want, you're doing well.

Best to shift your food intake towards a lifestyle change as opposed to a short term diet. Diets are temporary and when you come off them, the weight gradually piles back on. A lifestyle which includes your favourite treats now and again will most likely have a constant weight and less stress on your overall health.

Best of luck to you.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't even have "cheat days" but sometimes I save up my calories for dinner out with my husband on Saturday night and the last two times all I did was eat a larger volume of food than I've been doing for the past five months, but amounts I would have eaten before, and I felt pretty awful afterward. I think my body has adjusted somehow and now just can't handle a really big meal any more. I think I'm going to have to take along a container and put half the food away at the beginning, so I'm not tempted to just take more bites while chatting and enjoying the evening. For me it doesn't really seem to be the total calories or the type of food, but I can't deal with the amount of food all at once now.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's the guilt for "cheating" that's causing anxiety. Plan/make room for treats and you'll enjoy them much more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's a cheat day to you?

I don't find the "cheating" concept useful for me, but for a while when I was doing low cals I'd save cals (exercise cals) for a weekend day and eat around maintenance (usually two not out of the ordinary meals and then a restaurant meal). I never felt bad after that, but if I'd way overeaten I would have, probably (typically do now if I way overeat).

It also could be psychological, given the reference to anxiety.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Don't do cheat days. Stuff like this is why you are gaining it back.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you call it, because I can't get hung up on semantics, I find eating a lot more than I normally do makes me warm and sometimes lethargic afterwards because it's usually a huge blood sugar spike and crash hehe. I dont' feel physically ill enough to not have occasional way over days though. I agree with a PP that it sounds more like anxiety than it does a nutrition thing.