How often should I weigh myself to see progress?

Options
I was just wondering how often I should weigh myself to see how much weight I'm actually losing any help would be good :)

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well that depends. You can weigh daily and log it to take the average over time, you can weigh weekly which will show bigger differences that weighing daily but can have the downside of seeing gains as your weight naturally fluctuates because of such things as water weight and undigested food, and less often such as every 2 weeks which will show much higher differences but can also be discouraging to some as they wont have the possitive reenforcement as often.
    So really its up to you to decide what works best for you.
    Personally I weigh myself daily and make sure to remember that any gains I have are most likely water and food digesting.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I weigh myself about 3 times a day. I find it interesting.

I weigh myself a lot during the day too. But I only write down my first morning weigh in to track progress.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't like to weigh daily, but I know a lot of people here do it and recommend it. Personally, I go with anywhere between 1 and 3 times a week. Sometimes I may go longer than a week, but only if I have a reason (like expected vacay gain or no access to my scale). Do whatever works and is comfortable for you. It doesn't really matter.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It depends what motivates you really. I like to weigh at least once a day. I like to see my weight patterns and if I've had a blowout, I can bring it back on track. Some people, however, prefer to weigh weekly as they obsess too much over any tiny little change in the scales.
    X
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily, not focusing on the daily number but on the trend.
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I weigh myself about 3 times a day. I find it interesting.

I weigh myself a lot during the day too. But I only write down my first morning weigh in to track progress.

If not already doing, when desired it's possible to get a wifi scale like the under armour scale, a Fitbit Aria, or Withings (nokia) scale and connect with the myfitnesspal account.

This way when weighing, the weigh is automatically added to the account, no needing to put in the weight manually in the account.

Makes everything a bit easier. B)
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. My dietician says weekly weighing is a better indicator of actual trends. So we compromised. I still weigh myself every day (and night, I'm a bit obsessive), but I only log in my weight loss once a week. It has been freeing for me. If my weight goes up during the week I don't get upset like I used to, as I know it doesn't get registered until my Monday weigh-in. I have consistently been losing on a weekly basis, so it is much more accurate portrayal of my weight loss without as much stress. Hope this helps.
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to once a week. Once in the morning on a Friday.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    Daily. It helps me understand the typical range of my daily fluctuations, and that understanding takes all the angst and drama out of the situation.

(Weight will fluctuate because of different amounts of food/drink still being processed through the digestive system, and because of water-weight differences caused by eating more carbs or salt than usual (even if it's a perfectly healthy amount), muscle repair from injury or a challenging new workout, time of month for women, and more.)

You might also enjoy a weight trending app. These take your weigh-ins and use statistical techniques to smooth out the fluctuations, and estimate your long-term weight trend if you stay on a similar course (in a much smarter way than MFP's "in 5 weeks" projection). Some examples are Happy Scale (for Apple), Libra (for Android, and Trendweight.

My advice: Try to get over the idea that we have as "true weight". We don't. But we do have a trend over a longer span (days to weeks) of time: Up, down, or steady.
  • raeleigh26
    raeleigh26 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week... same day and time and then keep off the scale the rest of the week.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Seconding Happy Scale. I log my daily weight there to track fluctuations, but I only update my weight in MFP once a week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's up to you really, a lot of people prefer daily because they can get to understand the fluctuations that might have discouraged them previously, but at the same time some people can't disconnect psychologically from the number on the scale and will get stressed by seeing it go up and down.

In terms of data, the more that you have the more likely you are getting an accurate picture of what is going on and get a true trend.

If you fall into the latter category and you're going to be stressed out, there are other methods of measuring progress - the fit of your clothes, taking measurements and using progress photos.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly but sometimes when I'm first starting my getting fit "kick" (as i've quit and restarted many times over) I'll check daily. Daily incremental loss even if its a few ounces a day is progress and progress keeps me motivated. If its daily, I try to remember to weigh myself in the morning pre-meal at the same time-ish as to not skew the results.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    raeleigh26 wrote: »
    I weigh myself once a week... same day and time and then keep off the scale the rest of the week.

same, and then i use happy scale to track trends over time.

If i weigh more than this I just feel bogged down day to day.
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a fancy scale that uses bluetooth so I weigh daily to capture the overall trend, but I only sync when I've lost weight. Mind games :p
  • wavesleah
    wavesleah Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5th every month. As I was jumping on the scales almost 4/5 times a week. Literally Driving my crazy. And obsessing-never good
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and keep track of the trend with Trendweight.
  • sedj241
    sedj241 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale everyday and sometimes twice. When I was cutting weight, I used it as a reference of what foods I should and should not be eating, if the scale went up then that food came off the grocery list. :D