Dinner for One

Options
2»

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am losing weight alone but my other half eats the same as me when I'm cooking. He just has more.
  • dw920
    dw920 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a wife and mother of two little ones, so I rarely have to cook for just myself. Sometimes I won't have any leftovers for lunch, so I'll either just make a protein shake or something simple. Egg-based items ("toad in the hole", scrambled eggs and cheese in wrap, eggs with salsa and avocado, etc.), a wrap with meat and cheese, baked potato, cereal, or oatmeal.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I batch cook stuff on Sundays and reheat during the week. Some weeks I get a rotisserie chicken. My freezer is full of boxed frozen dinners and bags of frozen veggies.

I tend to go on "kicks". I'll go on an eggs kick and have an omelet every night. Or I'll make a lb of pasta and sauce on Monday night and have leftovers the next several nights.

Or stir fry - put leftover chicken or maybe some frozen shrimp in a fry pan with frozen veggies and some teriyaki sauce and serve over some Trader Joes 15 Minute Farro (which I make more of than I need so I can eat leftovers tomorrow!).

I like Chunky soups when it's colder with an extra serving of frozen veggies and some hot sauce stirred in as I'm heating it up.

I'll make a pasta or grain salad with lots of veggies on the weekend and just pair it with the rotisserie chicken or some fish during the week. Canned tuna or salmon over rice with a salad. Frozen fish fillets are great if you remember to take one out and leave it in the fridge before you leave for work.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been buying a pack of chicken breasts and a pack of burgers (no buns). And alternate them each night - different seasonings/marinades for the chicken to change it up a bit, different burger toppings. For sides I'll grab a sweet potato or two, c couple ears of corn, I always have lettuce on hand for side salads. So it's easy and quick, but I can do several different things with it so I'm not eating the same thing each day. (I am married but my husband works most evenings, so usually I'm on my own for dinner.)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Meal prep, and store single servings in the freezer. I prefer to only prep the meat potion if the meal and either quickly stir fry some veggies or eat them raw, as veggies don't last/taste as good after a week in the fridge or frozen.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If I waited until there were more people than myself to cook for/learn to cook for, I'd still be waiting... LMAO

I batch cook. I live far enough from the grocery store I only go every ~7-14 days. Whether reheated from the fridge or the freezer, I eat the same thing with only minor variations for 4-6 days at a time.

This is how I grew up eating with single mom who made a hot dinner for her kids every night but at the same time we were poor enough that we definitely ate leftovers until they were gone. If you didn't grow up this way, you probably would think it is strange. As strange as I think it is to have to eat something different every night and spend ~2-4X as much money as I do on food per month in the process.

But as others have stated, different strokes for different folks. If you don't like cooking, and you can afford not to, then don't.
  • delaclos99
    delaclos99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with noodles. Steak or salmon fillet with scrambled eggs and spinach. Beans on toast with cheese. All quick and easy.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I make flatbread pizzas or a bbq chicken quesadilla
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I pre-cook items in bulk...roasted vegetables, oven roasted chicken, Meatballs, roasted potatoes, cilantro-lime rice, pasta, etc. that I then freeze. Then I can take portions of whatever and make easy stir fry, quesadilla, Cajun pasta, meatball sub, spaghetti and meatballs, etc. pretty much on a whim. I usually determine what I want to eat when I get home. I also keep 2-3 different soups frozen in serving size amounts. Casseroles lend themselves to feeezing in individual servings too.

If I am totally out of ideas, I take a look at the frozen meals available and then make my own versions (I would rather avoid all the extra chemicals and they are a lot pricier than making my own).

I usually make overnight oats, or a fruit/yogurt and veggie/dip combo for breakfast. Also bran muffin and yogurt (muffins freeze well).
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Pick 3-4 recipes and cook for the entire week at once.
  • jmsass83
    jmsass83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! You gave me a lot of great options to try -- I appreciate it!!