How to speed up metabolism?

Options
I used be a member of a gym and they had requirements before I join. Like fitness test and bmr test. The bmr test uses a machine that i was hooked up to. It said I burn around 1300 calories. When the average person for my height, age, and weight burns around 1600. I'm trying to cut calories and lose weight that why but the minimum MFP said to eat is 1300. So how to I boost my metabolism to lose weight?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you burn just by being alive. It doesn't account for your daily activity. Eat the 1300 given to you, log everything as accurately as possible, and re-evaluate after a month. Even if you want to drop your calories, you don't have much room to go down to.
  • iluvlife445
    iluvlife445 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    BMR is the amount of calories you burn just by being alive. It doesn't account steps your daily activity. Eat the 1300 given to you, log everything as accurately as possible, and re-evaluate after a month. Even if you want to drop your calories, you don't have much room to go down to.

I don't live an active lifestyle. My fitbit tells me a get 2k-3k steps. Sometimes less. so I dont plan on my activity level doing much to burn calories. I want to boost my bmr because im messing out on 300 calories a day or 2100 a week. My bmr makes weight loss harder and weight gain easier.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've gained a few pounds of muscle (I ate in a surplus for a number of months) and my TDEE is about the same.
  • DharmainHeels
    DharmainHeels Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Running, speed intervals, and psycho yoga LOL
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Increasing your activity level sounds a lot easier tbh. Metabolisms don't really get "boosted" as such.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If you're not willing to move more to increase neat you are pretty much stuck where you are. Your RMR isn't going to change.
  • inertiastrength
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I lift weights at least 4x/week. Lifting helped me gain muscle and we all know the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn.

The change is something like six calories per pound of muscle gained, so it's pretty negligible.

I thought each lb of muscle added about 50 cals to your TDEE... isn't it fat lbs that are so low?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I used be a member of a gym and they had requirements before I join. Like fitness test and bmr test. The bmr test uses a machine that i was hooked up to. It said I burn around 1300 calories. When the average person for my height, age, and weight burns around 1600. I'm trying to cut calories and lose weight that why but the minimum MFP said to eat is 1300. So how to I boost my metabolism to lose weight?

BMR is you calorie burn for existence...I assume you do more than exist. 1300 isn't your maintenance calories...you cut from your maintenance calories. You will lose weight eating your BMR calories of 1300....as again, I assume you do more than just exist on this planet.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    just Googled the muscle thing... i cri
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you burn just by being alive. It doesn't account steps your daily activity. Eat the 1300 given to you, log everything as accurately as possible, and re-evaluate after a month. Even if you want to drop your calories, you don't have much room to go down to.

I don't live an active lifestyle. My fitbit tells me a get 2k-3k steps. Sometimes less. so I dont plan on my activity level doing much to burn calories. I want to boost my bmr because im messing out on 300 calories a day or 2100 a week. My bmr makes weight loss harder and weight gain easier.

The bmr for people with similar stats don't actually vary by much( according to the studies I've read). I bet your bmr is in fact pretty average. You could use the thought that it is lower as an excuse of course but I'm sure you'd rather reach your goals. So I'd start by assuming that these machines are not accurate and your bmr is average and start eating at the deficit MFP suggests.

You can't boost your metabolism. Also if your metabolism was that much slower you would know it. You would feel exhausted and sickly. Metabolism is not just about food. It is how your whole organism functions with all its processes. It is how it handles energy in order to function.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Are you sure it was BMR and not RMR? How long ago was the test done?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The bmr test uses a machine that i was hooked up to. It said I burn around 1300 calories.

Those tests, under those conditions, are notoriously inaccurate. Track your food and exercise for a few weeks - it'll tell you what you need to know.

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    just Googled the muscle thing... i cri

Totally unrelated -- MrsNatty -- I just got your profile picture -- that is so cool. Took me long enough. I could only see one picture for the longest time, and today, I was like "Wait? What? Wait. What was that? What? Ohhhh!"

OP -- Yes, it sucks when you can't eat much, but I wouldn't describe it as "missing out" on calories that you are somehow entitled to. RDA is based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet. 2000 calories a day exactly how I got into this mess! Unless I boast may activity way up there, I will never be able to eat that and maintain anything but a weight gain.

Maybe you can eat more than 1300 and lose without adding any movement, and maybe you can't. You won't know for sure until you log and see.