Camping ideas!

Options
Hi everyone! I leave for a camping trip thursday. Going to acadia. While i expect to spend plenty of time walking and just being on my feet, i'm hoping to find some great suggestions for camping food.

Thanks!

Replies

• royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @hksylvan I am Thursday too :#

I'd bring Brats, hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, drinks (lots of water), celery and peanut butter, watermelon, and sausages + eggs! But bread and condiments too.

I figure, you are not alone. Just enjoy yourself and get those steps in to burn more also. Eating is good but don't beat yourself up for not having the same environment either. I'm in Colorado, so my camping will have lots of hiking :)

Enjoy too!!!!! - Nik
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If you have a cast iron, cook up some veggies over the fire.

My favorite smore alternative is (if you have a pie iron) take a couple thin slices of angel food cake and put fresh strawberries and dark chocolate in the middle then cook over the fire. Still not 100% healthy, but awesome for a sweet tooth and a lot healthier than smores.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Don't forget smores and plenty of whiskey.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Cowboy dinners rock. Wrap some meat and veggies in foil and cook over the fire. Delicious and easy.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When roughing it, we like hot dogs cooked on a skewer over the fire, dinner wrapped in foil packages like Sosteach mentioned, corn roasted in the husk, and a lot of sandwiches roasted in a sandwich iron ("hobo pies").
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I take tinned fish, cous cous, UHT milk (no need to refrigerate) eggs, fresh and dried fruit, pasta, rice, tinned a fresh veg and wine, lots of wine...have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always bring brats for one of the nights...it's about the only time I ever eat brats, and they're just easy to do when you're camping...so usually brats and potato salad or something. We also like doing BBQ grilled chicken when we're camping...with some baked beans or something. I usually make a batch of chilli at home for the first night...we usually don't get up there until late afternoon/early evening and by the time I get everything set up, I don't really feel like cooking...I just want to pop open a beer and reheat the chilli.

Breakfast is usually breakfast burritos or eggs, sausage, and hash browns. Lunch is usually sandwiches. We always bring up chips and salsa and one of my wife's favorite indulgences, Fiesta Dip. We always make sure we have some fruit for snacking as well.

We camp pretty much once per month during the summer and through about mid October...

Plenty of beer and whisky.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    If you bring a cast iron pan to cook with or you use aluminum foil your options are limitless!

My favorite is the prepping cut onions, bell peppers and your choice of fully cooked meat and some seasoning in a mixture together wrapping them loosely and putting in the ice chest until your ready, then just place them over the fire or camp stove when you are ready! It's a convenient and healthy option.

Bacon and eggs in the morning with coffee is a must, in my opinion!

And like others said, one night of brats or hotdogs is just so worth it, I mean is it even camping without them????
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    When I'm camping or backpacking, I try to go for things I can prep at home so that all I have to do at the campsite is cook the stuff (without using many, or any, dishes).

Dinner- Our go to is meat (usually steak) and veggies in foil and cooking them in the embers from the fire, or over the fire if the fire pit has one of those grates for grilling. It's easy to prep at home before you go, and doesn't require much clean-up at all. Hot dogs skewered and cooked over a fire, burgers, or steak- all with foil-wrapped veggie packets.

I like making my own dehydrated food too. I cook food at home, and then dehydrate it in our dehydrator- some I've tried successfully are: Chili mac & cheese, Chicken w/ veggies and rice or couscous, Beef strogannoff, Beef stew, Loaded oatmeal (breakfast). These are great if you're camping somewhere that doesn't allow fires (common here in Southern CA and in many backpacking places). All you have to do is boil some water over a little propane burner, and pour it into the bag of food (we get special bags that can take the heat).

Breakfast ideas: Cut a potato in half width-wise and hollow it out with a spoon. Fill with egg, cheese and diced veggies (I prep this at home using bell peppers and onion). Use toothpicks to close the potato back up. Wrap in foil and place in the embers of the fire. OR take a plastic sandwich baggie, fill with egg, cheese, and diced veggies, put a skewer through the top of the bag so it hangs, and hang it over a pot of boiling water so that the bottom half of the bag (the part with the food in it) is in the water. Omelette! And no dishes- you can eat it right out of the bag.

Snacks- trail mix with nuts and dried fruit. Granola bars (I've found lots of great recipes on Pinterest if you want to make your own). Beef jerky.