Work lunch ideas?

Options
sophus18x
sophus18x Posts: 3 Member
Could anyone suggest any healthy lunches for work that aren't just salad. I consistently take tomato pasta with some sort of meat in a container. Other than that it is just a sandwich. However I want to move away from consistently eating all these carbs.

I like flavour and want something that is relatively filling as my job includes a lot of physical work.

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You need carbs of your doing physical work. But you could try swapping them out for fats like Avocado instead. I like chicken ,avocado and broccoli. Hot or cold. Try brown rice instead of pasta too. My favourite would be Shakshuka or Huevos Rancheros which is the Mexican version, you could have boiled eggs instead of fried.
  • sophus18x
    Options
    Thank you. I have never tried avocado but am really open to trying g new foods. There seems to be an avocado hype that I am very late to joining. Will definitely try the brown rice as I think that will fill me up and it is easy to prepare. Thank you.
  • sophus18x
    Options
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of turkey roll-ups -- taking a slice of deli turkey (such as Applegate, which has less junk in it) and wrapping it with a slice of cheese around cucumber sticks and sliced peppers. Put a bunch of the rolls in a container and you have high protein, low carb, and some veggies all together.

This sounds nice. Very quick and easy. I also really like peppers and cucumber. Thank you.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    For the first 5 months of my calorie-counting, I brought black beans and rice for lunch. Spicy, filling, delicious, and not too calorific.

Recently I switched it up. I'm making a week's worth of lunches (and breakfasts) at a time, and each week is different. Lunch is always chicken, veg, and a carb, but the details vary.

This week it's sort of southwestern. Chili-lime chicken, spiced rice, cumin-lime roasted sweet potatoes, and a lime-dressed slaw of red cabbage, broccoli, onion, corn, and cilantro. Last week was very vaguely thai--noodles with a peanut-chili sauce, curry chicken, and lots of fragrant veg. Before that was kind of Italian with pasta, garlic chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. You get the idea.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like making a big batch of soup in the crockpot (eating some for dinner) and then packing the rest up for the freezer.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/stuffed-pepper-soup/
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Homemade bean salad with meat
    Quinoa, broccoli and meat
    Quinoa Salad
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the You Tube channel Fit Couple Cooks. They do all most entirely Meal Prep videos. Tons of ideas almost every meal is very balanced.
  • AStone86
    AStone86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Frittata or omelette might be something you may like to try. You can put anything in it (onions, peppers, tomatoes, ham, salmon, tuna etc) and they are quick and easy to prepare. I usually make mine on a Sunday night let it fully cool then pop it in the fridge. Very filling and can eat hot or cold.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like making a big batch of soup in the crockpot (eating some for dinner) and then packing the rest up for the freezer.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/stuffed-pepper-soup/

This soup is so good and I haven't made it in forever. Thanks for reminding me!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    For the first 5 months of my calorie-counting, I brought black beans and rice for lunch. Spicy, filling, delicious, and not too calorific.

Recently I switched it up. I'm making a week's worth of lunches (and breakfasts) at a time, and each week is different. Lunch is always chicken, veg, and a carb, but the details vary.

This week it's sort of southwestern. Chili-lime chicken, spiced rice, cumin-lime roasted sweet potatoes, and a lime-dressed slaw of red cabbage, broccoli, onion, corn, and cilantro. Last week was very vaguely thai--noodles with a peanut-chili sauce, curry chicken, and lots of fragrant veg. Before that was kind of Italian with pasta, garlic chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. You get the idea.

Can you come to my house and make my lunches? :p
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    If you're willing to pay me and live in Central Arkansas, we might be able to work something out ;)
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Can I get a recipe for that chili-lime chicken lunch? That sounds amaaaaazing. I'm fed up of sandwiches haha
  • thewindandthework
    edited July 2017
    Options
    IDK about a recipe, but I can give you a general idea, sure.

The chicken itself was skinless boneless chicken breast which I marinated for a couple hours in lime juice and zest, garlic, cilantro, various chili powders (ancho, new mexico, and cayenne for sure, and maybe the 'chili powder' that's actually just cayenne with spices that every grocery store carries), a touch of honey, a very tiny amount of olive oil, and I remember I didn't have quite enough to cover my chicken so I stretched it with vinegar, probably apple cider. Then I just grilled it, super simple.

The rice was long-grain white rice which I stuck in my rice cooker along with a healthy dose of turmeric for color, a can of salt-free Rotel (which is stewed tomatoes and green chilis with a bit of lime and cilantro, it's a staple in my part of the world but I understand it's hard to find elsewhere), and New Mexico chili powder (it's my favorite and has a nice kick to it). I might have used some cumin here, but not much, I wanted a cleaner flavor here. And water, obviously. Rice cooker does the work, no problem. I always salt rice AFTER it cooks, I think it does something to the texture if you salt it first.

The sweet potatoes were very simple, just a nice large dice, tossed in a small amount of olive oil with some chopped yellow onion, salt, the juice of half a lime, and a strong amount of cumin. I roasted them at 400F until they were getting a little black at the edges. I like a bit of char in my life. I hit these with the juice from the other half of that lime when they were done cooking.

The slaw was approximately equal parts red cabbage and broccoli (I love broccoli stems, so I buy the fresh broccoli with as much stem as possible), along with a couple shredded carrots, some half-rings of thinly sliced yellow onion, and some frozen sweet corn. I don't remember exactly what went into the dressing, but the only ingredients I logged in MFP were lime juice, honey, and salsa verde, so anything else would have been effectively noncaloric in the amounts I used them. Salt, obviously, maybe some spices, maybe a bit of vinegar.

Then I measured and packaged everything. Five days worth of everything except the slaw, which I made three days worth of because I didn't want it to get too limp. I'll make Thursday's and Friday's tonight.

When I eat the meal, I heat up the hot stuff in the microwave at work, then give everything a squeeze of lime juice and mix a healthy heap of cilantro into the slaw.

EDIT: This lunch comes to 450 calories for me, but obviously with a larger or smaller serving size this could fit pretty much any caloric budget.

Also I had extra rice and slaw which I've been having for dinner because I've been short on time the last couple evenings. Warm tortilla, hot rice, some grated Monterey cheese, slaw, and salsa verde. Simple, quick, delicious.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    Options
    Thank you so much <3 going to try this next week! X
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    IDK about a recipe, but I can give you a general idea, sure.

The chicken itself was skinless boneless chicken breast which I marinated for a couple hours in lime juice and zest, garlic, cilantro, various chili powders (ancho, new mexico, and cayenne for sure, and maybe the 'chili powder' that's actually just cayenne with spices that every grocery store carries), a touch of honey, a very tiny amount of olive oil, and I remember I didn't have quite enough to cover my chicken so I stretched it with vinegar, probably apple cider. Then I just grilled it, super simple.

The rice was long-grain white rice which I stuck in my rice cooker along with a healthy dose of turmeric for color, a can of salt-free Rotel (which is stewed tomatoes and green chilis with a bit of lime and cilantro, it's a staple in my part of the world but I understand it's hard to find elsewhere), and New Mexico chili powder (it's my favorite and has a nice kick to it). I might have used some cumin here, but not much, I wanted a cleaner flavor here. And water, obviously. Rice cooker does the work, no problem. I always salt rice AFTER it cooks, I think it does something to the texture if you salt it first.

The sweet potatoes were very simple, just a nice large dice, tossed in a small amount of olive oil with some chopped yellow onion, salt, the juice of half a lime, and a strong amount of cumin. I roasted them at 400F until they were getting a little black at the edges. I like a bit of char in my life. I hit these with the juice from the other half of that lime when they were done cooking.

The slaw was approximately equal parts red cabbage and broccoli (I love broccoli stems, so I buy the fresh broccoli with as much stem as possible), along with a couple shredded carrots, some half-rings of thinly sliced yellow onion, and some frozen sweet corn. I don't remember exactly what went into the dressing, but the only ingredients I logged in MFP were lime juice, honey, and salsa verde, so anything else would have been effectively noncaloric in the amounts I used them. Salt, obviously, maybe some spices, maybe a bit of vinegar.

Then I measured and packaged everything. Five days worth of everything except the slaw, which I made three days worth of because I didn't want it to get too limp. I'll make Thursday's and Friday's tonight.

When I eat the meal, I heat up the hot stuff in the microwave at work, then give everything a squeeze of lime juice and mix a healthy heap of cilantro into the slaw.

EDIT: This lunch comes to 450 calories for me, but obviously with a larger or smaller serving size this could fit pretty much any caloric budget.

Also I had extra rice and slaw which I've been having for dinner because I've been short on time the last couple evenings. Warm tortilla, hot rice, some grated Monterey cheese, slaw, and salsa verde. Simple, quick, delicious.

OMG... Now I'm hungry again...
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    lol, you're welcome and I'm sorry.

During lunch today I realized that I forgot about the jalapenos--there was a whole chopped jalapeno in my chicken marinade, seeds and all, and I seeded and julienned another which went into the slaw.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    Options
    lol, you're welcome and I'm sorry.

During lunch today I realized that I forgot about the jalapenos--there was a whole chopped jalapeno in my chicken marinade, seeds and all, and I seeded and julienned another which went into the slaw.

This just gets better! Yum yum yum - can't wait to try this now!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    Radishes, celery and ball peppers with hummus.