What got you going to the gym? What kept you there?

Options
DaFibble
DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
I'm interested in hearing what got people on MFP going to a gym to begin with. What was the motivation? What were your expectations? Were there other factors?

Also, after starting at a gym, what kept you going?

My work offers a money benefit towards gym or activity centre membership but I don't like the idea of public gyms. Its been many years since I attended one regularly and the conditions were so luxurious back then that I won't find anything like it again. I also feel like I don't want to spend time at a gym when I have such a busy life already. Trying to get a different perspective.

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership this year. It was too crowded and I wasn't going. There are no good alternatives so I made a pact with myself to try classes instead.

It turns out I found one I love: Megaformer/ Lagree Method.

I was looking for something low impact, challenging and to help me with balance and core strength. This fits the bill and the classes are short (40-45 minutes) and intense.

I am going at least 2x a week. It is too much for me to do back to back so I am looking for a 3rd option for my rotation.

I can feel my balance improving and my legs are so much stronger. Biking up hills is easier. Routes have gotten easier. Walking up hill is easier. Good outcomes all around.

I wanted to find something I could stick with and build more strength to build a good base for weight lifting. (I can't do barbell squats due to upper body flexibility issues). So far so good. In a few months I'll return to the gym to hit the free weights and hopefully will have a good plan for myself that is not too complicated.
  • OKNY21
    OKNY21 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym because I wanted to lift.

I keep going because I like my sexy body, and sexy people lift at my gym. Also, goals.

This. I also have made friends..which is nice...we definitely stick to our own stuff..but it's nice to see a familiar face and motivate others.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    DaFibble wrote: »
    I'm interested in hearing what got people on MFP going to a gym to begin with. What was the motivation? What were your expectations? Were there other factors?

Also, after starting at a gym, what kept you going?

My father taught at a college which had a small gym ... I was in my teens when I started using that because I wanted to improve my strength for racing. I raced the 200 metre and 400 metre distances then. I continued to use that gym for years because it was so convenient, and as I got older, I supplemented the gym work with longer distance running and cycling.

When I married, my husband got a gym membership and a personal trainer (amateur bodybuilder) who also took me on. We trained there for a couple years during which time I really got back into cycling.

I've been going to gyms ever since to compliment my cycling. Sometimes it is my own home gym ... sometimes it is a commercial gym.

All up, I've been going to the gym for roughly 35 years now. :)

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i fell into the 'muscle burns more than//weighs less than*** fat' myth for those last stubborn 10 pounds. so i dug up a circuit class and 'went to a gym'.

ditched the circuit class immediately and kept chasing the weights. i'm still lifting three or four times a week because i like it so much. i was just one of those instant-love types.

*** yeahyeahyeah, it doesn't. i know :D
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am a mind person.
    What got me there was the need to get fitter without losing much weight and I couldn't manage to do that at home.

What keeps me there so far is positive reinforcement by my bf and that I am actually able to go there, clear my mind and work out for an hour. After that my mental stress feels so much lighter.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym so that I could cross train with my running. It's a 90 second walk from my house and it's nice to be able to zone out on the bikes or whatever. Then, I decided to get a PT for my Wedding in April. I saw her once a week for 4 months and she really helped improve my strength and fitness. I now stay at the gym to train with her and to cross train still :)
  • Chessbear
    Chessbear Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Its been longer than a month now since ive been going to the gym every day. Sometimes I will go twice.

I think its all about making it a habbit and listening to your body. At one point not going to the gym will feel weird. I exercise at least an hour every day. Lately at least 80 minutes a day.

What made me go to the gym everyday was the health aspect. And I believe everyone has at least 15 minutes a day to work out. Now I watch less tv.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bit of an odd reason that got me started was that there was a lot of bullying at my school - I wasn't going to be one of those that got bullied.

What's kept me going for 40+ years is mainly I enjoy it.
    "It" has taken many forms over the years from supporting a sport, to rehab, to providing an outlet for my self-competitive nature to helping weight loss....

Also I just enjoy the feeling of being fit and strong.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I bought a gym membership because I wanted to do deadlifts. I then proceeded to never do deadlifts and only pop in every so often to run on the treadmill for 10 minutes and telling myself I'd only go to the gym if the weather was inclement (and even then I didn't go, I just preferred working out at the park or at home). This summer though I wanted to try out maintenance and doing stronglifts 5x5. It's been just about 8 weeks so far and I've kept going back because of my goal to stick with it for 12 weeks.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I went to the gym when I hit a plaeau in my work-outs and I wanted to lift heavier. Took me a long time to find the right one for me.
    What keeps me there - the weights and the fun I am having in my classes
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have a rec center membership but mostly lift at home. Will your work give any money toward home equipment?

I do like the rec center for the indoor track, workshops (e.g., archery), summer camp for my daughter, and some other equipment that I don't have at home. My home gym far beats it for the sake of convenience though so I don't work out at the rec too often.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym because my son starting boxing. Ever watched pre-teen boys at boxing practice?!? BORING...

So, I got a membership to a nearby 24 hour gym and starting going while son was at boxing. Because son practiced 3 days a week, I needed a workout that was similar. Found Stronglifts 5X5. Freaking loved it. After 14 months, I transitioned to an intermediate lifting program. When I PRed a 315 lb deadlift, I decided I wanted to compete in powerlifting. Hired a coach, got a 2nd gym membership, and haven't looked back. I now go to the gym 5 days a week and lift for 1.5 to 2 hours per session, plus a little cardio.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been going off and on for years - a few years ago, I was unemployed between my return from living/working abroad and settling back into an office job here, and I went to the gym about 8x/week. I have always found that I work harder in a group setting, so I was doing one or two classes per day that I loved. Gym attendance tapered when I started working (couldn't get to classes during the workday), met my now-fiance, and then plummeted to 0 during grad school. I was working full-time, doing class at night 2-3x/week, and then homework ate my free time. Once grad school ended, I had an MBA and ten extra pounds, and I decided I should use my newfound free time to get back to the classes I always liked.
    Throughout the last year (finished my MBA a year ago this week!) I have been at the gym 5 days/week for spin and bodypump classes. Sometimes if my partner has to work late or has an event, I'll go to the gym for a bonus workout if there's a class in that time slot...yoga, cxworx, tae bo, zumba...to get a little more variety into my life.
    My expectations were and are low...I've shed the grad school weight and I'm (this isn't saying all that much) the strongest I've ever been. I'm not out to set records or compete, but I like challenging myself to hit incremental improvement goals in pump and spin. I feel better when I work out, and spin is the one thing that really takes me out of my head. I get some of my best thinking done in that class because my concentration is on keeping my legs going at whatever insane pace my triathlon-loving instructor has set and my thoughts drift and flow freely.
    One of the things that keeps me going back is the social aspect. I'm a regular in these classes at this point, and I like chatting with gymfriends before/after class, and I look forward to seeing them (and it feels good to know they/the instructors look forward to seeing me, too). Another small bonus is that my work offers a health incentive program, and my gym activities help me meet goals there (daily steps, minutes of daily activity, etc) that earn me small rewards for my HSA.

My life is delightfully full, especially now that we're planning our wedding. I capital-D Decided that I was just going to have to make time for exercise. One weeknight a week is My Night - I grab a light dinner with my mom and then go to an evening class, and that's a non-negotiable on my calendar. Three days a week I get up at 4:40 and hit a 5:30 gym class before going to work, which has the added benefit of having me at my desk by 7:30, so my workday begins earlier and ends earlier if I so choose (flexible work hours/week). The fifth session is 7 am Saturday mornings - as busy as our weekends are, the only Saturdays I have missed in the last year are Saturdays when we were out of town. I attend that class even if we are leaving at 9 am to go somewhere, including college football games, and I have attended even when there are people staying over at our house. I'm home by 830 and they can certainly fend for themselves until then, assuming they're up.

I don't know if this helps how you look at it, but: people have spent the last year praising my motivation. I don't know that I'm all that motivated - I will happily go for walks but I would never go for a run on my own, just because. I have no burning desire to set lifting PRs. I don't have a fitspo pinterest board. I hate getting up early and being cold in the car the whole way to the gym in the winter. But I just keep going because, although not motivated, I am determined, and I am disciplined. Or stubborn. :smiley: But I Decided I was going to do this, so by golly, I will do it. Sure, sometimes I sleep through a class, but I just get up the next morning like I'm supposed to and go. I am doing this for me, and I am doing it for the long game - so I do what I love at the gym and I'm not miserable doing it. Bonus benefit - I lost another five pounds beyond what I set out to do, my cholesterol numbers are improved over a year ago, and I have baby-muscles!

I am definitely at the point now that someone mentioned above - not going feels weird. I'm on vacation next week and I found a local gym that does day passes so that I can get to a spin class (don't want to lose my bike-butt!!) and try out their strength offerings (tabata and "Warriors On Demand") for variety. I feel better on days that I exercise, so even on my rest days I will typically go on a walk or do 30 mins of yoga at home - my body feels better when I move it, and my head is more clear even after a lazy mile stroll through our neighborhood. I don't want to give up that feeling, so I keep going to the gym.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I was dating someone who went all the time, and then I sort of moseyed over myself. I kept going because it positively affected my mental health, even more than my physical health.

I hate - and I mean hate - exercising. Hate going to the gym where I think people are judging me. Hate all of it.

So I figured out precisely what I hated about it and found ways around it. I hate waiting between sets. Solution - supersets, no waiting necessary. I hate a crowded gym. Solution - go when it's less busy. I hate feeling like I'm wasting my time. Solution - work on specific skills for short intensive periods (while continuing to do all over body work) so I can see fairly quick progression in that area and then switch it out for a new one.

Also - it became an absolute routine. I exercise every day (even though I hate it! lol) It would be so weird, so wrong, to skip a day. For me going a handful of times a week didn't work because I would "negotiate" with myself and push it off until I basically never went. When it's something I do every single day no matter what, then it becomes as routine as brushing my teeth. I don't have to think about it, or convince myself to do it, I just do it.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great posts here. Insightful and helpful.
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have a rec center membership but mostly lift at home. Will your work give any money toward home equipment?

They may do. However, even keeping a stationary bike at home is very cramped for the time being. Nine months from now I will have a house with enough space for a dedicated home gym and a dedicated yoga room, too.

I think, for now, I should get myself going to the gym for strength training to get acquainted with the equipment and what I need to work on. I can then make an informed decision about what to buy for home, which is almost certainly going to be my preferred location in the long term.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think that what got me going was the steam room and the jacuzzi.
    Back in the day, the majority of public gyms were these Charles Atlas-type places, with chrome weights and suntanning lights. They also had steam rooms and saunas, and jacuzzis and cold-plunge tubs, etc.
    They weren't too much about rigor. They were about pampering.
    I was in my teens and we loved all those amenities. But, we soon learned that it felt much better to sit in bubbling water if you worked hard first.
    Before I knew it, I was an endorphin addict, heading in to any gym available, no matter how dank and dingy and frill-less it might be -- and some of them were pretty stripped down and unsightly.
    The student weight room at the University of Minnesota, for instance, was a windowless room in a tower in the old football stadium that you got to by walking through ill-lit underground tunnels.
    Course, the U of M locker room had an incredible steam room, as you might imagine, given the winters there.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I belong to my work gym cause it's in the same building and the classes were good and cheap. Then I joined another gym because one particular zumba instructor is so awesome. With that gym I met a personal trainer who has helped me to lose weight and gain muscle.

Across the 2 gyms, I do zumba for fun, pilates for flexibility etc, personal training because he pushes me harder than I'd ever push myself, and weight training to build muscle. I love the way my body changes when I do weights and get a buzz from the achievement of increasing muscle size and strength. I see a personal trainer twice a week and he keeps me accountable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only thing I do in the gym is lift...I do not care to spend my life in the gym so I do a full body program 3x per week...takes about 60 minutes each...otherwise I primarily cycle.

Do an established full body program...it's very efficient.

I've been in and out of gyms most of my adult life...I was a competitive athlete growing up, so I understand the importance of the weight room, so it was kind of a no brainer from an all around fitness perspective.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I found I couldn't walk long distances without leg pain and we had a week and a half of T-storms that shut down the pools. I wanted to keep pushing my fitness so I went to the gym to try a treadmill or elliptical.

This worked into attempting to lift. I found that I really liked lifting heavy (3-6 reps) and even more so on big compound lifts. This has changed from a beginner 3x a week program to a beginner 5x a week program. Both programs are more focused on powerlifting and strength.