Why do we lose inches ??

Options
Ok so the past 3 months I have been walking about 3 miles 4 times a week.. I have not started logging my food yet . I know I need to (the whole purpose of this app lol) but I have noticed my clothes have fit better..

Is it because I happen to be in a calorie deficit this whole time and so I lost inches ? I ask because I always hear exercise doesn't cause you to lose weight ..

I only probably lost 3lbs total in three months on the scale ..

Weird question but I just was curious..

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    With no food log and presumably no bod pod bf analysis, this shall remain a mystery.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    So weight loss is typically calories out > calories in. But weight loss can happen any # of reasons - loss of muscle, loss of fat (ideal) and water loss etc. Certain things like water loss is a temp thing...we are a water bodied species!

Our bodies are made of a skeletal system, organs, muscles, fat above the muscles and skin above it all. When you shed something within those levels your body loses inches...i guess like deflating an mattress is the visual i give myself.

Hope that helps.
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    to answer your question anything could have happened:

a)You lost fat but gained muscles ergo...weight didn't drop much but inches dropped more

b)you didn't know your true weight before?

etc.
  • aliry209
    aliry209 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks I know it's too hard to tell .. I really didn't know how to put it in words .. like is all this walking truly helping?
  • Rosered3333
    Rosered3333 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it is, do you enjoy walking? Is it improving your mood? These are things to keep in mind too. I'm not sure if I'm actually losing weight but I'm changing the way I deal with stress by eating better and exercising and I've seen results in my mood and the way I am with my family. I'm losing inches too but for me, the improvement in mood and outlook is the most important result so far.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    sheepingly wrote: »

a)You lost fat but gained muscles ergo...weight didn't drop much but inches dropped more

etc.

Walking will not cause muscle gain while achieving fat loss.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    sheepingly wrote: »

etc.

Walking will not cause muscle gain while achieving fat loss.

This depends on your starting point. If someone has been quite sedentary but starts walking, that will result in some muscle gain (and fat loss, assuming the person maintains caloric neutrality).
  • MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Any number of things affect the number. This could turn into a locked thread over the opinions on that subject. Clothes fitting better and healthy exercise are NSV's you can be proud of. Don't let the scale rule you. You are doing great.