Bad weekend

Options
Is it possible for the scale to go up by 15 pounds after a day weekend of drinking
And eating??? Wow I can't believe it

Replies

• dcdoty957
    dcdoty957 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bad* weekend
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    15lbs is a little extreme for water retention, but it can certainly have a significant impact on the scale, did you weigh on the same scale at the same time of day as normal and did you wear more clothes than normal.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Weird things happen on the scale all the time. Be patient and keep doing the next right thing and it will come right off.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yup xtra salt and alcohol can do that
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don,t get discouraged , get back on track ,you may loose most of it, quickly, plenty of water
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot, really, a lot. I can eat bad and be up almost 20 pounds the next day. It takes around 3 days for it to come off, mostly.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    But it is *not* body fat from excess calories. It is water retention & contents of your gut and will work itself in a few days. It may interfere with achieving your weight loss goal for the week, though, depending on just how nuts you went.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Mine went up 7 after a bad weekend plus 1 day midweek of being well over. Thermodynamically I probably gained MAX 1lb (I did a good number lol) but the rest is water... just get back to regular macros
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

15 lbs is a lot but not impossible.

I had an awsome weekend (not 'bad' in any way shape or form) way too much food and drink- a pool party that started at 3 pm and we were still dancing at 3 am.

The only bad thing about it was we ran out of propane when we were grilling the bacon and eggs the next morning.

Got home the next evening 5lbs heavier, this morning I am 2 lbs down and by Wednesday I expect the rest of the water weight to have gone.

I went way over my maintenance calories, heck I drank that much, but I know that I didn't go anywhere near 3500 cals over, so there won't be even a 1lbs true gain.

Please, when you have a good time, but go over your calories, don't think if it as 'bad', think of it as enjoying life- hopefully you will have many more reasons to enjoy yourself.

It's learning how to work these type of things into your life that will make reaching and maintaining your goal weight easier.

Cheers, h.
  • kaygold
    kaygold Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had a bad weekend 2 weeks ago. I tracked everything, and with all the calorie dense things I ate, I ate just under 6500 cals over my maintenance those 2 days. I weighted myself before, but I DID NOT weigh myself after because I knew that while the scale would reflect a huge gain, realistically, I could only gain 2 lbs at the most...which btw is not what I wanted to see happen, but had no regrets from indulging that great weekend.

Fast forward 2 weeks of getting back to normal eating and working out, and I am 1 pound less than I was when I weighed myself before the weekend feast.

So, moral of the story is that occasional (this is key), indulgences may set you back slightly, but they won't undo all your hard work. Just get back to the grind the next day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dcdoty957 wrote: »
    Is it possible for the scale to go up by 15 pounds after a day weekend of drinking
    And eating??? Wow I can't believe it

Given that its just happened, the answer is yes...
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I once had the scale go up 12 lbs from eating three dozen homemade peanut butter toffee chip cookies over the course of 2-3 days. Hung around for about three weeks, too. Felt sick *and* gross at the same time since struggled to tie my shoes (couldn't breathe) afterwards. Was not worth it.
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It could happen, but its not just fat your getting from just the weekend. Its water weight and what not. Once you just get back into the swing of things after a few days it will be back to normal. You dont just gain 15lbs of fat in a weekend! youre fine!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I once had the scale go up 12 lbs from eating three dozen homemade peanut butter toffee chip cookies over the course of 2-3 days. Hung around for about three weeks, too. Felt sick *and* gross at the same time since struggled to tie my shoes (couldn't breathe) afterwards. Was not worth it.

Oh I thought this said THREE cookies and not three dozen and I started freaking out. I haven't weighed myself since vacation and was like...I did more damage than three cookies lol
  • dcdoty957
    Options
    5 pounds came off already
  • HsiehCH
    HsiehCH Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    10 more lbs to go!
  • dcdoty957
    Options
    Down another 5 only 5 more to go
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    dcdoty957 wrote: »
    Down another 5 only 5 more to go

I'm back down from the weekend too. Water weight is a real *kitten* but once you realize it's just that getting back to it without losing it mentally gets easier :)
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, whatever scale I have had in my life, the measurement can be changed by weighing myself in a different spot. Which was especially complicated when I lived in a place that had a fairly uneven floor everywhere.