Filling and healthy stir fry?

Options
halmsafit
halmsafit Posts: 47 Member
I'm always craving stir fry for some reason! Does anyone have a healthy go-to stir fry recipe?

Replies

• TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Following... I've got tofu and broccoli in the fridge :)
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    my version: I don't usually use oil, but it definitely makes it taste better when I do. I just do it by how things look, so I'm not sure how much time is in between vegetables, but this is usually the order I go with. I start by sauteing onions, add mushrooms (my new favorite is enoki), tofu (either tofu noodles or cubed tofu), green and red cabbage, and then the last thing to go in is the broccoli so it doesn't get over done. I tend to add sauce at the end, either SoyVey or some kind of teriyaki if my husband is eating with me or just Braggs Amino if its just me. Depending on what other veggies are in the fridge, I'll add those too (including non-traditional items like corn and peas!),
  • truji062
    truji062 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just made stirfry last night, I had been craving it for a while also! Bell peppers, onions, wsterchestnust, bamboo shoots and basically any other vegetable I think would taste good with a little stir fry sauce and brown rice!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What's filling, what's healthy? The first is individual and the latter is part "extremely basic" and part "up to you to decide". It's much less tiresome to find a few personal principles that can be used for every meal, than "reinventing the wheel" for each occasion.

I make stir-fry with chicken, pork or seafood, fried in oil, add vegetables like onion, peppers, broccoli, carrot, bamboo shoots, baby corn, water chestnuts, rice noodles or soba noodles, sriracha and soy sauce.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Funny, yesterday I was playing with a fun tool that generates random stir fry names.
    Http://www.frenchguycooking.com/stir-fry-generator

Usually what's filling for me is to add some kind of noodles to my stir fries. Often rice noodles. I just don't get full without something starchy. As for healthy, most stir fries are generally nutrient dense, so that's one thing you don't need to worry about.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What's a good healthy (ish?) stir fry sauce?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What's a good healthy (ish?) stir fry sauce?

The guy who made the generator above has an all around sauce to go with the generator: soy sauce, a touch of sriracha, vegetable stock, a bit of vinegar, grated ginger, grated garlic, and cornstarch diluted in water, sesame oil, and some sugar. If you don't overdo it on the oil it's pretty okay on calories.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i always have ginger and garlic in my stir fries. a lump of fresh ginger about the size of the first joint of my thumb, and two or three cloves of garlic.

the rest is pretty standard for me. chicken or pork, something dark green [baby bok choi, gai lan, snow peas, broccoli). and something yellow/orange, basically either carrots or bell peppers. carrots soak up an amazing amount of flavour in a stir fry.

i always used to ignore them because i despise cooked carrots. but this is the one exception. i can't remember the last time i stir fried with beef. it's been lean pork or chicken breast since forever, with us.