Running Help

Options
I've dropped 85 pounds and have started running. I'm almost 42 and haven't run since high school. Each time I run my times seem to get slower and the run is more difficult. I take days off in between. Any suggestions? I'd like to run a 5K on August 5th. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, some days are just hard (some days are harder still). Don't get too worried about pace just yet, just slow down, conversation pace and get some time and distance on the legs. Remember your warm up / downs and stretches and don't over do it (you will be tempted as you will become addicted!)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed.

Also, how long have you been running? How often and how far?
  • beverlyj2016
    beverlyj2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About 3 weeks now. Ranges from 3-4 miles. I take a 2 day test in between runs. But I power walk with my wife every night. She's a grinder
  • Bluebell2325
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sounds like 5 Aug 5k very achievable. Do you run it all at the minute? or run/walk? And do you have a parkrun nearby? These are free, timed, weekly runs where you can get used to running in amongst folk (I found that very difficult in my first race after training on my own) and meet like minded people. Check out www.parkrun.com for your location.
  • WickedPineapple
    Options
    Those are actually pretty long runs for a beginner, unless you're doing walk/run. So you might want to cut your runs shorter until they get easier to complete. And again, go slow. Speed comes later.

If your current goal is a 5k, take a look at this training program.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program
  • WickedPineapple
    Options
    Sounds like 5 Aug 5k very achievable. Do you run it all at the minute? or run/walk? And do you have a parkrun nearby? These are free, timed, weekly runs where you can get used to running in amongst folk (I found that very difficult in my first race after training on my own) and meet like minded people. Check out www.parkrun.com for your location.

I had never heard of parkrun before! Very cool. Unfortunately there aren't that many in the US. :(
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Any one can apply to start one up if anyone is interested enough But it really needs a group of enthusiasts to keep it going week in week out. We waited quite a while in Cumbria for it to reach us, but we have half a dozen now. And if I'm travelling the first thing I check is whether I can do any parkrun tourism! Do my fair share of marshalling too, as it runs completely on volunteer support, so I like to marshal as much as I run.
  • Emmalovestorun
    Emmalovestorun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Add me if you like let's be mfp friends
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a run coach. Find like minded people, especially those who cannot run as fast as you because helping others gives us more purpose to our runs. Realising how far you've come will help you. Focus on paying forward what you've learned instead of judging yourself so harshly. Fall in love with routes and creating fun run memories with friends. A plan is great for goal setting too.
  • fatprincess4now
    fatprincess4now Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am also getting into running. I trained and did a 10 mile race. Slow but ran the whole thing. A week after I couldn't run 3 miles straight. You really do have bad and good days. I am working on speed now and then distance again. Feel free to friend me. I would love some friends with running vents, support or whatever you have to say about running.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    The Higdon training plans are great! Like all things, running takes time and patience, but it will all fall into place. And if you're somewhere with high humidity, your body is going to feel it. Take it slow, be consistent, and just enjoy the time outside. Good luck in your 5k!