How do y'all do these morning workouts?

Options
2»

Replies

• ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher that has to commute 25 miles each way to work and back. By the time I get home in the afternoon, I'm too tired. It's that or don't work out!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use a pre-workout. I also go to bed early so that I get around 7 hours of sleep on average. I also stop using caffeine after lunch each day so it doesn't keep me up. The pre-workout puts me near my daily maximum for caffeine anyway. Once you get used to it, and it may take a week or two, it's not all that hard.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wake up, drive to the gym, load plates on the bar, I pick it up, I set it down, rinse and repeat.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I found the most motivating thing about being at the gym at 5am, was I had the entire gym to myself. Noone in the squat racks, noone on the benches, noone in the locker room or toilets, etc. It was extremely peaceful and pretty much the only reason I looked forward to actually doing a workout in the morning.

I wish my gym were like that. It's usually a battle for who can get to either the one power rack or the one squat rack. I got to the gym at 4:57a last Thursday. Was pleased I got there when it was empty. 5:10am 15 or more people already in the weight section. 5:30a people hovering me for the power rack. lol. Usually no one will ask me if they can work in, just hover. I've asked them if they want to work in and they look at me shocked. (I guess most of the other patrons don't want to share).

To answer the question. I just get up and do my dynamic warm up and by then I feel awake and ready to go workout. I'm also driven to get there in the morning because of how packed the gym gets and having to wait for the limited resources.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I don't WANT to workout at 4a, but I LIKE to. The gym isn't as busy, my energy level is fully recharged and it's an awesome start to my day - gets those endorphins going! It also allows me to get in an extra workout in if I have time in the evening. However if I don't, then I don't feel bad because I checked that box off at 4a.

It'll take some getting used to. After a while though, your body will crave it! I wake up religiously at 345-4a even when my alarm isn't set. It's my body's way of letting me know what it's ready for.

• mikeandlindasept15
    mikeandlindasept15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The key word here is "habit ".

I work out after work with my hubby. I love having him as my workout buddy! He has shown me how to use the machines at the gym and taught me how to do free weights.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I just make it part of my routine. Waking up at 5 to workout is just something I do. No different than having to wake up at a certain time to get to the office. If you make it part of your day, your body will adjust over a couple of weeks. You'll find yourself waking up that early even when you don't have to.

The counterpoint is that you'll also find that you want to go to bed earlier. I'm pretty much ready for sleep by 9:30pm or so. If you have to keep a late schedule then working out early might not work for you.
  • wittsabouther
    wittsabouther Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone y'all are awesome. I survived day one. So tomorrow is day 2.
  • SMC780
    SMC780 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new at this. This is my 3rd week of 2 morning workouts per week, but I have been waking up around 5 for a while now. I know that's the best time for workout for me since after work I am too tired and want to be with my family.
    I work out at home. I put my workout clothes in the bathroom the night before, since that's the first place I go to after waking up. I also put the coffee/tea on right after I wake up (usually has a splash of milk and tiny bit sugar), sipping this provides me energy and enough time to mentally wake up, take the mat, weights etc out. If I don't drink my tea on time, I miss the workout window because either I am too slow, distracted or groggy. Maybe a bad habit to depend on caffeine and sugar first thing in the morning? Oh well, whatever works for now. I am one of the laziest bottoms, I know. LOL. Wishing you well.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If I have a busy week (with work or fun stuff), sometimes 6am is the only time left where I can fit a workout in!
    And oddly enough, remembering the effort it took to get that workout in keeps me from overdoing it or over-indulging later on (which frankly-- I did NOT think would be the case).
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I need some more am workout buddies on my list. Nobody is up yet so I just want to stay in the bed. How do y'all do it?

Hi, I'm up bright and early every weekday morning (3:45 am currently) so feel free to add me and we can chat in the mornings if you need motivation!

I live in FL so honestly working out that early is so much more enjoyable, plus it is so relaxing and I feel good about myself the rest of the day, even if I just go back to bed and do nothing after the workout.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I need some more am workout buddies on my list. Nobody is up yet so I just want to stay in the bed. How do y'all do it?

Hi, I'm up bright and early every weekday morning (3:45 am currently) so feel free to add me and we can chat in the mornings if you need motivation!

I live in FL so honestly working out that early is so much more enjoyable, plus it is so relaxing and I feel good about myself the rest of the day, even if I just go back to bed and do nothing after the workout.

Working out and then being able to do nothing for the rest of the day but relax or sleep is one of life's great pleasures.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    @DX2JX2 definitely agree there! I went on a 5 mile run in the heat of the day last week came home and ate lunch and accidentally fell asleep for 5 hours haha, apparently I needed an hour for every mile.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't :-). I am not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. I either workout over lunch, if my meetings allow, or right after work. If I go home after I know I won't do it, so right after it is. Go to bed between 10 and 11 and wake up between 6 and 7. I have social stuff going on at night...I couldn't go to bed at 8 in order to accomodate getting up at 5 for workout.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You just do what you've gotta do. I know myself we'll enough to know that when I get home from work, I will have zero motivation for anything other than necessary housework/dinner stuff. I get up at 3:30am because I HAVE to. You get used to it after a while. (Doesn't make it any more fun, though.) Nice to get it done and over with early, and have a good jump start for the day.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Things that get me up at 6am:

- There's nobody in the park to see me
    - It's cooler than after work
    - If something unexpected comes up, I've already done my workout
    - There's nothing better than getting into bed after your shower and knowing that it's still not *technically* time to wake up! I get a good 10 minutes of duvet time :)

I only do it a couple of times a week though.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Working out and then being able to do nothing for the rest of the day but relax or sleep is one of life's great pleasures.

On the days I work from home, there is usually a 20-30 minute gap between when I return from the gym and when I log in to work. Spending that post-workout time just quietly resting in bed is probably one of the most satisfying parts of the day!
  • crisseldac13
    crisseldac13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree! It's so hard for me to get up early and workout, so I do it around 11:00 am, the important thing is that you find a time to workout. Am or pm
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find the motivation to get up early and work out. It would be so much more convenient for me. I already hit the snooze about 5 times every morning, as is
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like early workouts because it's over and done with and I get the workout high to start the day off well! It's rarely easy to get up when the alarm goes off, but I just have to put mind over matter and get my legs out of bed (no hitting snooze!!). Plus like others have said, whether you're outside or at the gym, it's so much quieter and you're less likely to run into someone you know when you're all sweaty and smelly, if that sort of thing bothers you ;)

Pretty much my entire reason. That, and I got promoted to a much easier job (physically) and if I go in to work without burning off some energy I'm incredibly annoying and fidgety. I'm basically a giant dog/toddler.