29 pounds lost since August... wanna know what I'm doing?

Options
As someone who has spent years kinda yo-yo dieting and not being able to stay very focused, I can relate to what a lot of the people who use this site are going through. About 3-4 months before my 30th birthday, I set out to lose "30 by 30". Well, I got off to a late start, and that didn't happen. But the age of 30 did bear down on me pretty hard, so I kicked it in high gear this past August, and it's been an evolution from there.

At first I did mostly cardio, lots of running outside and on a treadmill when the weather was bad. I worked up to about 40 minutes per day. After my workout, I'd do pushups and a few stretches, and that was it. A month or so into things, I started doing some resistance workout stuff with free weights. It definitely helped, but the workout was pretty unfocused and a lot of guessing was involved.

Once I'd lost 20 pounds or so, I felt like I'd plateaued a bit. I got with a personal trainer who hooked me up with a pretty solid full-body workout. I only saw him for 5 half-hour sessions ($200), but it was enough to get me on the right, focused track. Since then, I've lost 9 more pounds, and my body has totally changed. I am losing weight at a slower pace, which is to be expected. But my entire shape is changing. I'm doing an 1-hour total body workout 3 days a week (MWF), and running 4 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and doing a long run (6-8 miles) every other weekend or so.

As for the nutrition part of things, this website has been HUGE when it comes to keeping me in line. I'm sort of a binge eater by habit, and I love really awful things like burgers, fries, pizza, and pastries. I've gotten myself on the total straight and narrow Monday thru Friday. The weekends are harder, but I usually let myself eat what I want to within reason on those days. Here's a typical day of weekday eating for me:

Breakfast - Cereal combination (0.75 cup Honey Bunches of Oats mixed with 0.75 cup Kashi Go Lean High Protein/High Fiber cereal w/ soy milk - or 2% milk)

Snack - Banana or Apple

Lunch - 3-4 oz. of deli oven roasted chicken or turkey on 100% whole grain HEALTHY LIFE Soft Style bread (great because there's no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oils, and no preservatives, and because it's not TOO expensive). I usually add a teaspoon or 2 of honey mustard. Of course you can add lettuce, tomato, etc, but I tend to keep it simple.
OR...
1 4-5 oz. grilled chicken breast w/ a baked potato (very light or NO butter, salt)

Snack - Banana or Apple
or
Peanut butter & jelly sandwich - again Healthy Life Soft Style bread w/ Smuckers Organic Concord Grape Jelly (no high fructose corn syrup or other garbage) and Smart Balance creamy natural peanut butter w/omega 3's (again no extra junk). Keep it to about 1/2 tablespoon of each, and it ends up being about a 180-200 calorie snack that will hold you til dinner easily, and you get a little bit of sweet tooth action as a bonus!

Dinner - You can SORT OF eat what you want as long as you are exercising regularly and keeping it real the rest of the day. BUT, I recommend things like whole grain brown rice (with a teaspoon of olive oil instead of butter), approximately 1 cup cooked, with cubed chicken breast simmered in a sauce of your choice (Indian style, asian, italian). Keep the whole meal to about 2-2.5 cups cooked, and your calories will stay in the 500 range which is great. There are LOTS of dinner options, and this is just one. Some folks like veggies a bit more than I do, and you can pseudo-stir fry a lot of good stuff.

Don't eat carbs after about 8pm or so, depending upon your regular sleep schedule. Keep on this kind of schedule all week w/ food and exercise, and then you can enjoy food more on the weekends, and you'll hopefully drop 20-30 pounds in a few months like me.

Replies

• rocknrollsinger
    Options
    As someone who has spent years kinda yo-yo dieting and not being able to stay very focused, I can relate to what a lot of the people who use this site are going through. About 3-4 months before my 30th birthday, I set out to lose "30 by 30". Well, I got off to a late start, and that didn't happen. But the age of 30 did bear down on me pretty hard, so I kicked it in high gear this past August, and it's been an evolution from there.

At first I did mostly cardio, lots of running outside and on a treadmill when the weather was bad. I worked up to about 40 minutes per day. After my workout, I'd do pushups and a few stretches, and that was it. A month or so into things, I started doing some resistance workout stuff with free weights. It definitely helped, but the workout was pretty unfocused and a lot of guessing was involved.

Once I'd lost 20 pounds or so, I felt like I'd plateaued a bit. I got with a personal trainer who hooked me up with a pretty solid full-body workout. I only saw him for 5 half-hour sessions ($200), but it was enough to get me on the right, focused track. Since then, I've lost 9 more pounds, and my body has totally changed. I am losing weight at a slower pace, which is to be expected. But my entire shape is changing. I'm doing an 1-hour total body workout 3 days a week (MWF), and running 4 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and doing a long run (6-8 miles) every other weekend or so.

As for the nutrition part of things, this website has been HUGE when it comes to keeping me in line. I'm sort of a binge eater by habit, and I love really awful things like burgers, fries, pizza, and pastries. I've gotten myself on the total straight and narrow Monday thru Friday. The weekends are harder, but I usually let myself eat what I want to within reason on those days. Here's a typical day of weekday eating for me:

Breakfast - Cereal combination (0.75 cup Honey Bunches of Oats mixed with 0.75 cup Kashi Go Lean High Protein/High Fiber cereal w/ soy milk - or 2% milk)

Snack - Banana or Apple

Lunch - 3-4 oz. of deli oven roasted chicken or turkey on 100% whole grain HEALTHY LIFE Soft Style bread (great because there's no high fructose corn syrup, no hydrogenated oils, and no preservatives, and because it's not TOO expensive). I usually add a teaspoon or 2 of honey mustard. Of course you can add lettuce, tomato, etc, but I tend to keep it simple.
    OR...
    1 4-5 oz. grilled chicken breast w/ a baked potato (very light or NO butter, salt)

Snack - Banana or Apple
    or
    Peanut butter & jelly sandwich - again Healthy Life Soft Style bread w/ Smuckers Organic Concord Grape Jelly (no high fructose corn syrup or other garbage) and Smart Balance creamy natural peanut butter w/omega 3's (again no extra junk). Keep it to about 1/2 tablespoon of each, and it ends up being about a 180-200 calorie snack that will hold you til dinner easily, and you get a little bit of sweet tooth action as a bonus!

Dinner - You can SORT OF eat what you want as long as you are exercising regularly and keeping it real the rest of the day. BUT, I recommend things like whole grain brown rice (with a teaspoon of olive oil instead of butter), approximately 1 cup cooked, with cubed chicken breast simmered in a sauce of your choice (Indian style, asian, italian). Keep the whole meal to about 2-2.5 cups cooked, and your calories will stay in the 500 range which is great. There are LOTS of dinner options, and this is just one. Some folks like veggies a bit more than I do, and you can pseudo-stir fry a lot of good stuff.

Don't eat carbs after about 8pm or so, depending upon your regular sleep schedule. Keep on this kind of schedule all week w/ food and exercise, and then you can enjoy food more on the weekends, and you'll hopefully drop 20-30 pounds in a few months like me.
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    wow great tips! thanks i needed that :-)
  • weesel80
    weesel80 Posts: 186
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing an awesome job! Thanks for sharing!!:flowerforyou:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    good for you! Thanks for the advice. I love to run as well and am up to 20min... from 60 second intervals. It's the slow and steady changes that make all the difference.
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    I have to say you are an inspiration :drinker: :flowerforyou: to us all. It is so good to see someone take the "Bull by the Horns" so to speak and give it a good shake :grumble:
    Very well done and good luck with your continued weight loss :bigsmile: and body conscious : blushing: eating and training program.

Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words for they become actions. Understand your actions for they become habits. Study your habits for they will become your character.
  • beagle595
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great info and incentives! Thanks for the brand name Healthy Life. I love Kashi products. Keep up the great work! :smile:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    nice job! thanks for posting! :drinker:
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post...
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've made a total turn around :flowerforyou: Keep it up!
  • melisay
    melisay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sounds great ! Thank you so much for the tips.

cheers

86536.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rocknrollsinger
    Options
    Thanks for the nice feedback folks. If I would have had more time I would have broken down the specifics of my workout and stuff too. Send me a comment or something if you want to know anymore about what the personal trainer told me or if you have any other questions. I still have a lot of questions myself and don't in any way suggest that I know it all. I struggle daily, but it is getting easier every day also.
  • danita1006
    Options
    Hello...I would like to know everything. I've been struggling with my weight for a while. I "say" but I don't "do". I purchased a treadmill, wii fit, and barry's bootcamp. I get motivated for a week or two and then I drop off. My eating sweets is my biggest hang up. Can you please tell me what the trainer told you, along with more about your daily menus. I feel that if I can get some good sensible help with what I can eat, I will lose the 25 lbs. Thanks.....c78212@bellsouth.net....Danita
  • vonzo
    vonzo Posts: 161
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You've done amazingly well :smile:

:drinker: :drinker:
  • CassieNic
    Options
    Way to go! im gonna check out that jelly and bread. Im a major pb&j addict.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    congrats and thanks for this post. Keep up the great work.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great job! Any before and after photos to share?
  • beagle595
    Options
    Hello...I would like to know everything. I've been struggling with my weight for a while. I "say" but I don't "do". I purchased a treadmill, wii fit, and barry's bootcamp. I get motivated for a week or two and then I drop off. My eating sweets is my biggest hang up. Can you please tell me what the trainer told you, along with more about your daily menus. I feel that if I can get some good sensible help with what I can eat, I will lose the 25 lbs. Thanks.....c78212@bellsouth.net....Danita
    Try to not eat sweets for 3 days. Just healthy carbs... veggies, whole wheat bread etc.. Your body will feel great in about 3 days and you will stop craving sweets. Good luck! :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!