Exhausted from Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    MJT2021 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm an 18 year old girl trying to be fitter. Ever since I started exercising( a month ago today) I have been feeling weak, fatigued, and unmotivated. I currently run 2.5 miles 3-4 times a week + with strength training ( low-medium weights, high reps each session). I eat about 1200 calories a day, with a healthy mix of fruit and veggies ( is this enough? I'm 5"3 120 pounds). It's really discouraging because I always hear about how exercise energizes people, and I have yet to feel these effects. Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!

define low-medium weight/high rep, there's been plenty of discussion of your calorie intake.

Also, what exercises are you doing?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    @Machka9 in a typical day, I'll have some almond milk and cornflakes + strawberries for breakfast, a black bean burger + broccoli and a small fruit at lunch, and then zucchini pasta + green beans for dinner, and a small piece of dark chocolate (70%) for desert. I eat a mostly plant based diet.

Could be you need to focus on getting more protein.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @Machka9 in a typical day, I'll have some almond milk and cornflakes + strawberries for breakfast, a black bean burger + broccoli and a small fruit at lunch, and then zucchini pasta + green beans for dinner, and a small piece of dark chocolate (70%) for desert. I eat a mostly plant based diet.

Could be you need to focus on getting more protein.

I agree here, if your working out you'll want to make sure you are getting enough protein and judging from this I really doubt you are (I have done plant based before so I have a general idea how much is in those things and it's not nearly meeting your quotas).
  • MJT2021
    MJT2021 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @stanmann571 well since I've only recently begun (4 weeks), I'm fairly weak :( I use the machines in the gym, usually only lifting 30 pounds on my arms with 12 reps x 3 sets. On my legs, I'll set the machine to 50 pounds and also do 12 reps x 3 sets.

Cardio is 30 mins with a warm up at 4-4.5, then a run at 5.5 with a max speed getting up to 6.5
  • MJT2021
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo any tips on how to get a lot of protein without eating too much meat/ fish? I've been tracking my intake and it seems like I hover around 11% of my diet being protein, but I don't know how to get much more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    @WickAndArtoo any tips on how to get a lot of protein without eating too much meat/ fish? I've been tracking my intake and it seems like I hover around 11% of my diet being protein, but I don't know how to get much more.

Eggs
    Nuts
    Cheese
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options

Is there a reason why you don't want to eat animal products? Personally I wasn't able to get enough protein when I was doing it, which is one of the reasons I stopped. Do you eat soy products? Your best bet is to increase you consumption of things that have protein, do a google search and form your meals around those foods. If you are doing plant based for moral reasons that's awesome, if it's for "health" reasons I would really reconsider for a mostly plant based with lean meats.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great supplement. Premier Protein has 30g of protein at 160 calories for the premixed drinks and they're pretty easy to find (I can only vouch for the chocolate flavor). Not sure if they're vegan/vegetarian friendly, though.
  • Senrak66
    Senrak66 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you running and working out the same day?? you should workout only one day then next day do running only.
    your muscle need time to repair when you work out.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Also realize that, at 18, you're in that place between adolescence and adulthood but your body is still developing... Make sure you are fueling your body appropriately and setting up healthy habits. Checking in with a physician for an annual physical is also a good habit to start...
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Here's what I ate yesterday, which had no meat (but does have quite a bit of dairy, and there's an egg in the waffle batter). 19% of calories from protein. To increase the protein density and adjust to your calorie goal, drop foods that have a high number of calories per gram of protein.

owd1r8ultm5a.jpg

• MJT2021
    Options
    Thank you again everyone! I really shy away from any animal based products ( including dairy) for health reasons due to my intolerance. I think I will look into some vegan protein supplements. I did eat more yesterday/today ( around 1350) and I already feel a lot better. I'll keep adding protein, changing my workout and seeing how I feel. Thanks Again for all the amazing advice!!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    High protein vegan is really hard. The Explore Asian black bean spaghetti has great macros (25g protein for 180 calories), and tastes fine, as long as you aren't expecting spaghetti.

There are a bunch of lower carb (so higher protein) vegan recipes here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/weekly-meal-plan-the-low-carb-vegan-menu/

Another thought - if you're getting a lot of fiber, it may be more appropriate for you to bump your calorie goal higher. Fiber counts toward calorie totals in the US, but your body has limited ability to use that energy.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I got 1200 from the MFP calculator, I know I'm at a healthy weight I just want to lose 3 or so pounds of fat. I definitely will up my intake though, since 1200 seems very low now.

I got similar results. 5'3", 110 lbs, sedentary, trying to maintain was my original input and I was told to eat around 1300 calories a day by MFP. I feel like the calculations are a little off for smallish, healthy weight females.
    So far, I upped my goals to 1600 as I also exercise and while my work is sedentary, I walk a lot for everything else as I do not have a car. I do often stay under that goal, but I usually am over 1300 and I definitely need to to have enough energy.

For protein: I love tofu. Firm tofu does not seem to have much fat (says MFP), and you can add it to every steamed vegetable, put it in the pan when searing meat (I guess as you are allergic/vegan that's not for you, but you can also sear it instead of meat), ...