Why am I not losing weight?

Options
In September 2016. I started at 330lbs. My goal was 265. I consumed about 120 grams of protein. I barely worked out or did cardio.

Fast forward to May 2017 I'm down to 305, but I haven't lost a pound since then.

In May, I just started working out regularly and doing cardio about 2-3x per week.

For some reason my weight won't budge. I cut out all high density carbs such as rice and pasta. The only carbs I eat are potatoes and oatmeal...and the occasional snack.

So how do resume weight loss? Should I increase my workout and cardio to 5x a week? Should I eat 1gram of protein per pound of body weight? Or should I reduce my calories further?

Replies

• mattdavidhay
    mattdavidhay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Introducing a new exercise routine can cause water to be retained for muscles. The only thing that is important in weight loss is eating less calories than you consume. Use the calorie counter meticulously: calculate your daily needs through a TDEE calculator, track everything you eat/drink and you will lose weight, period.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight by increasing protein? People increase protein to increase muscle gain, not weight loss.
  • wally2wiki
    wally2wiki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    In September 2016. I started at 330lbs. My goal was 265. I consumed about 120 grams of protein. I barely worked out or did cardio.

Fast forward to May 2017 I'm down to 305, but I haven't lost a pound since then.

In May, I just started working out regularly and doing cardio about 2-3x per week.

For some reason my weight won't budge. I cut out all high density carbs such as rice and pasta. The only carbs I eat are potatoes and oatmeal...and the occasional snack.

So how do resume weight loss? Should I increase my workout and cardio to 5x a week? Should I eat 1gram of protein per pound of body weight? Or should I reduce my calories further?

My bad I forgot to add something. My. Calorie deficit was 2300 per day. That's what I have been at since September till now
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

My bad I forgot to add something. My. Calorie deficit was 2300 per day. That's what I have been at since September till now

That can't be your deficit. That's what you're eating right?

You diary is closed....but a "deficit" that high would be very unhealthy AND you would likely be down 140 pounds by now....
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Your deficit, or your intake?

How are you determining that you're eating that amount of calories? Weighing/measuring appropriately, or eyeballing/guesstimating?
  • paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oops
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you track your food? Log every meal, snack, bite everyday? Log sometimes, some days? How often do you use a food scale? How often do you eat food prepared by others?

Making your own food and weighing everything on a food scale is the best way to keep your accuracy high. To not lose any weight at all in 2 months when you're at 305 now, though, suggests there is a good bit of error in your logging.