Splitting cardio workouts

Options
MrsJax11
MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
Would it still be effective to only do 10 minutes on the elliptical in the AM, and then 20 to 40 in the afternoon, or a different workout in the afternoon?
I have always heard that cardio should last at least 20 minutes, but I really enjoyed my AM workouts....I just don't have the time to do a long walk or workout in the AM, or the energy to do a 30 minute burn on the elliptical first thing in the AM. BUT if it isn't effective I don't want to waste 10 precious minutes in the morning that I could use sleeping at 6 AM!
Other sources say that even taking short 5 minute walks add up over the day...
what do you all think?

Replies

• LilianaGarciia
    LilianaGarciia Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ive been wondering about this aswell!
  • nothankscake
    Options
    Anything counts. Saying that doing any exercise less than 20 minutes isn't effective is stupid. I mean, it's MORE effective to do it longer, but you are, because you're doing more later in the day.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I don't know if it is the "maximum efficiency" for fat burning to split it up, but I have to believe that doing 10 minutes on the elliptical burns more calories and fat than sleeping for 10 minutes. LOL Plus, think about all of the advice out there to do small things like take the stairs instead of the elevator and park farther out in the parking lot. Probably most of those things don't last for 20+ minutes, but supposedly they really do add up. I would say go for it, get your 10 minutes, and feel good about those calories. :)
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    You have to keep your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes in order to burn fat. So I'd say a 10 min workout isn't helping much.
  • kstob1990
    kstob1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    if you use that 10 minutes for a interval cardio workout you can blast calories.

Try going for effort level 4/5 on the elliptical for 1 minute, then take it to effort level 7 for 30 seconds, back to a minute at 4/5 effort level

i usually do:

0-1 minute 4/5 effort level
    1-1:30 6/7 effort level
    1.30-2.30 4/5 effort level
    2:30-3:00 7/8 effort level
    3:00-4:00 4/5 effort level
    4:00-4:30 7/8 effort level
    4:30-5:30 5/6 effort level
    5:00-6:00 3/4 effort level
    6:00-6:30 8/9 effort level
    6:30-7:30 4/5 effort level
    7:30-8:00 7/8 effort level
    8:00-9:00 3/4 effort level
    9:00-9:30 6/7 effort level
    9:30-10:30 3/4 effort level

think of the effort levels as how comfortable you are conversing with someone, at 3/4 a conversation should be easy and at 8/9 you shouldnt be able to say more than a word
  • AlyBelden
    AlyBelden Posts: 45
    Options
    I think I've read for fat burning you have to go over 20 min, but in 10 minutes you are still burning some calories, right? So I can't see that it's a bad thing. Probably a good idea to give yourself a little jumpstart in the morning anyway - I always feel better during the day if I move in the morning rather than waiting for an afternoon workout.