Should I reduce my weight loss from 2 to 1.5lbs/week yet?

Options
noirelb
noirelb Posts: 216 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I could simply do it and see but I'd like to see what people have to say. I started my diet and I'm getting married in August (My dress is lace back so it doesn't matter if I lose more weight). I wanted to lose the most weight possible till then but 1320cals is quite low since it lowers as I get skinnier. And I'm starting to have head aches even with drinking 3 liters of water per day.

I started a year ago after having my baby and stopped dieting for a while. I started MFP at the end of May at 250lbs and am now 227lbs. I lost more weight at the beginning and an average of 2lbs/week in the past few weeks (actual fat rather than mostly water!). My goal is 190-185 lbs, I'm 5'10'', female, not breastfeeding.

I have about 40lbs to go, should I go to 1.5lbs/week instead? it would be 1580 cal per day.

Thanks!

(My goal is that high because I was diagnosed with anorexia at 16 when I was 150-160lbs when I learned my frame was big and bones were sticking out, no more period and hair loss and still wore size 10 thinking it was big. I simply have wide hip and big thighs/butt naturally and now I know better than to trust BMI! Anyway, I just want to add this since I don't want anyone telling me I should be 160-170lbs lol) The picture is to show what I look at 185lbs, I'm not unhealthy looking... sorry for the pose I was young and in my party years :smirk:

Replies

• noirelb
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pookiefatcat
    pookiefatcat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have lost 41 lbs in 6 months on 1800+ calories. My stats were almost bang on for yours. Started at 245, aiming for 180, also 5'11" .

I would try and take it slow, give yourself more calories to enjoy life. If your dress will still fit no matter what, allow yourself a little wiggle room to have that canapé or cocktail at a wedding event.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's totally reasonable to lower your rate of loss with 40 lbs to go
  • noirelb
    Options
    Ok i will probably get to 1.5lbs loss per week. My maintenance metabolism is no where near what MFP is saying so i can't go to 1800, i would barely lose weight. I've maintained at that amount before :neutral:
  • noirelb
    Options
    I have lost 41 lbs in 6 months on 1800+ calories. My stats were almost bang on for yours. Started at 245, aiming for 180, also 5'11" .

I would try and take it slow, give yourself more calories to enjoy life. If your dress will still fit no matter what, allow yourself a little wiggle room to have that canapé or cocktail at a wedding event.

Do you exercise and are you very young? That's quite the weight loss for 1800 calories! It's great
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I slowed to 1 lb/week because, like you, I had disordered eating in my teens. I focused on good nutrition and developing the habit of moderate exercise.

I think with a history of disordered eating is very good to be cautious with this as the old mindset is pernicious.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would change your goal to .5 to 1 pound per week. You would still lose a significant amount of weight each week given your current weight at 227. Being healthy and satisfied food wise but not underrating for the sake of weight loss is your goal here because you want to be able to maintain your healthy lifestyle after your loss and not revert back to your old habits. Good luck!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    5'8" here and relatively the same start (255lb) and goal weights (187lb), I am losing 1lb per week on 1600 net per day (eat all of my exercise calories back so my gross calories for the day are normally in 2000-2400 depending on how active I am). Haven't found it too difficult to stick to for 6 months, I have just had the odd maintenance day around shark week.
  • noirelb
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I slowed to 1 lb/week because, like you, I had disordered eating in my teens. I focused on good nutrition and developing the habit of moderate exercise.

I think with a history of disordered eating is very good to be cautious with this as the old mindset is pernicious.

Yes i think i might do that. It seems pretty easy for these thoughts and ways to come back even though I thought I was done with it.
  • noirelb
    Options
    5'8" here and relatively the same start (255lb) and goal weights (187lb), I am losing 1lb per week on 1600 net per day (eat all of my exercise calories back so my gross calories for the day are normally in 2000-2400 depending on how active I am). Haven't found it too difficult to stick to for 6 months, I have just had the odd maintenance day around shark week.

Sounds like you girls can all lose on 1600+ calories. It's definitely worth trying it. I think the only reason I wanted to do it quickly was the wedding and also knowing I'll probably have 2 more pregnancies... The first made me gain all that crazy weight.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No advice, but I'm 5'10" too and girrrrrl. I wish I looked that good at 185lbs! It looks like a great weight for you :) Keep up the good work and have a lovely Wedding :) X
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm faced with that question the answer is always obvious to me, so hopefully it will be obvious for you too when the next calorie lowering stage comes around. If the calories are not sustainable I know I will have trouble sustaining that level and will end up eating more anyway, so why not put my mind at ease and switch to a more sustainable goal? I would reduce weight loss. In fact I have done so several times whenever my budget dipped under 1400 calories. I currently weigh 190 pounds and my current goal is slightly under a pound a week.
  • noirelb
    Options
    No advice, but I'm 5'10" too and girrrrrl. I wish I looked that good at 185lbs! It looks like a great weight for you :) Keep up the good work and have a lovely Wedding :) X

Haha! Thank you so much and congrats to you as well, looks like you may just have gotten married!? Yes, I guess I am lucky in that sense since I can carry the weight pretty well in some ways. But when you are young and see 5'10" models weight 120lbs you wonder How am I not that light!?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »

Haha! Thank you so much and congrats to you as well, looks like you may just have gotten married!? Yes, I guess I am lucky in that sense since I can carry the weight pretty well in some ways. But when you are young and see 5'10" models weight 120lbs you wonder How am I not that light!?

The simple answer to that one is because the majority of us eat more than carrot sticks and lettuce and don't get our photos professionally airbrushed :lol:
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    If the extra calories would make you feel better why not? You have a lifetime to lose the weight rate of loss is less important than sticking to it.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Within reason, you can set your calorie goal wherever you want. It doesn't have to be 1320 or 1580. It could be 1450, for example, or any other number as long as it works for you. Also, as others have pointed out, it isn't the rate of loss that matters but the sustainability of it. Just do what works for you and that you can stick with.