How to deal with feeling hungry when fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Starting last Sunday I have been fasting from sunrise to sunset (have food after sunset). Only problem is I am so hungry by that time I end up eating everything in sight. Anyone have any good suggestions on how to ward off the hungry feeling/how to stop raiding the pantry at night?

Eat. Edited as I see it is not for 'diet purpose'. Drink water. Drink other liquid as allowed. Take a nap.
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's about training the mind and it being a lifestyle choice to eat well. The first time I ate everything and more.
    The next time, days later, I ate only what was needed as I had started exercise at home to feel fit and it made me work harder with my food so I don't undo all the effort from exercise.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It's about training the mind and it being a lifestyle choice to eat well. The first time I ate everything and more.
    The next time, days later, I ate only what was needed as I had started exercise at home to feel fit and it made me work harder with my food so I don't undo all the effort from exercise.

I am not fasting to lose weight.

Not really sure what those post has to do with my question.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    a caution about caffeine pills: on an empty stomach, you might become nauseated.
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I am not fasting to lose weight.

Not really sure what those post has to do with my question.

Forget the exercise part then (my exercise is to feel better and not solely about weight) but training your mind very well applies to the original post. You said you wanted to stop raising the cupboard. I've achieved that by training my mind not to over indulge, to leave space for water and breathing and not to snack snack and snack. Works for me.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you fast long enough your body gives up in despair and you enter a state of lethargy.

I think the daily anticipation of the break-fast is sending your will-power in to a tailspin.

What might work is a boring nutritional drink like Soylent to break your fast with. No anticipation, no raging hunger.

This is a great suggestion. I know people who fast and do this so they don't have their first meal when they are ravenous.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Try getting up before dawn and eating somthing filling and wholesome. If you stop eating at bedtime, then you are not actually fasting from rise to set, you are fasting several hours longer. There is a reason it's phrased that way, people used to get up before dawn to start the day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Elphie I think my original suggestion meets your requirement for a shake. I can't guarantee it is tasty but that's not the point. I am suggesting you break your fast with something boring on purpose.

http://files.soylent.com/pdf/tub-nutrition-facts-1-8-en.pdf