Vacations

Options
Hey guys! So I'm going to Dallas tomorrow for a 3 day vacation and then the sunday after im going to nyc for five days. What do you guys do over vacations? Do you still exercise and follow your diet plan if you have one? Or are vacations a time to let loose and eat whatever you want?

Replies

• mike737
    mike737 Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't. Went to Cyprus for two weeks and only put on 4lbs.

Dont go mental and it'll be fine
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Im going on vacation in 2 weeks, I plan on switching my plan to maintenance and get a workout in whenever I can.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    I am going on vacation tomorrow. I like to maintain...excerise and indulge in moderation. :flowerforyou:
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm "lucky"--I'm diabetic, so I can't just throw it all out and go nuts. But I do up my calories by up to five hundred a day (still not in gaining territory, but allows for a dessert here or a fun thing there) and enjoy myself, and I try to get in some walking to keep myself active.

Kris
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing. I am going to be gone for 8 days in early September (which is what sparked my weight loss in the first place). Now I am worried about getting off track during the vacation.

I like the poster above that switched to maintenance so you can live a little.

My only worry is that I was close to my goal weight this time last year and my vacation was the catalist to derailing me for the whole year. I hope this year is different.

Good luck to you!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options

Just went to Cyprus myself in June. The food was so good , it was lucky we only stayed for the weekend. A quick run or swim in the pool ( if you are at a place that has one) will be good. Do it early enough and it wont interrupt your plans. Watch what you eat but you do not have to be meticulous.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation tomorrow. I like to maintain...excerise and indulge in moderation. :flowerforyou:
    The same. I'm going to do the best I can, enjoy my vacation , work a little exercise in, cut myself some slack and know its just a few day out of the rest of my life.
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When I went to vegas for 5 days but nutritionist told me to chill out and relax! She said don't go crazy, eat when your hungry and walk as much as you can and always have a bottle of water and a granola bar or nuts on you, so you dont freak out and drink a milkshake and eat a burger when you just needed a nibble and a good drink!

By not taking cabs and such you do the extra work and can sneak in a dessert or two...some higher fat restaurant foods and some yummy icy beverages!

When you get back then you work your *kitten* off!
  • mike737
    mike737 Posts: 68
    Options

Just went to Cyprus myself in June. The food was so good , it was lucky we only stayed for the weekend. A quick run or swim in the pool ( if you are at a place that has one) will be good. Do it early enough and it wont interrupt your plans. Watch what you eat but you do not have to be meticulous.

Cyprus was win, the OH's sister lives out there. The pool/sea did help me I suppose. I was only having two meals a day, but that was probably due to the size of them lol
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    ps...I only gained 3 pounds in vegas!!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me. For me, food has been a life-long source of pleasure. Going on vacation is about indulging in pleasure, and eating out, and snacking, and lounging around. It's rough. Fortunately, I work full time and don't get the luxury of extended vacations very often. My wife, however, is a stay-at-home mom, and took the kids to the grandparents at the beach to a rental house for an entire month. It was hard on her. She had lost 40 pounds up to that point and it broke her new diet habit and she gained back 20.
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    just do lots of vacation on vacation. my husband did that and he lost 7 lbs while we were on vacation
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I went out of the country (and away from internet, no MFP!) for 8 days. I made mostly good choices (not all), exercised a lot (swimming, walking, etc.), made sure I didn't completely pig out, and drank more than I should have. I came home 3 pounds heavier but within 2 days was back down to pre-vacation weight. Chances are I gained nothing but sodium water weight from all of the restaurant food.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I just made sure our hotel had a fitness room that I will be hitting in the AM before my hubby gets up that way I`m still good for the day. I plan to eat what ever I would like but watching the portions that they are. example I know 100% curtain we will go to a steak house at least one night we are gone so Instead of the 12oz steak that I use to order before watching what I ate I will get 4-6ozsteak and instead of dumping A1 all over it I will ask for a small dish and put 2teaspoons in that and call it good , also I would have gotten frys before now I`ll opt for brown rice and backed po (butter and sour cream on the side so I can be the one to decide how much gets put on ) and lastly I would have normaly ordered a soda and now I will with out a dought order either lemonade or water with lemon. I think portion is key along with enjoying your vacation.

I also know we will be doing a TON of walking around to see things so extra that I normaly wouldn`t get in exercise wise
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i'm going on vacation in early sept as well, hoping to atleast maintain! i went on vacay mid april to my moms house (2500 miles away) and was able to maintain, but this time its going to be a tropical island and all the food will be dining out :S kinda makes me worried
  • jandzsmom
    jandzsmom Posts: 14
    Options
    I like how Bethenny Frankel recommends you balance everything out. In other words, pick one meal per day to have whatever you want, then balance the rest of the day out by eating lightly and choosing as many veggies as you can to fill you up.
  • vtakougang
    vtakougang Posts: 46
    Options
    thanks guys this really helped! and to all those who are going on vacation have fun!