Best Vitamins to take - For women

Options
So..I am looking to start taking vitamins again, but i am SO confused because there are SO SO many to choose from....any ideas about which ones are the best to take ? I would appriciate any advice! Thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I like the GNC Womens Ultra Mega Active
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Essential One by Andrew Lessman. Can be purchased at HSN or ProCapsLabs.com

Andrew Lessman has a solar opereated plant in Nevada and makes a large variety of vitamins from good sources and are very easy to digest.

Hope this helps!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've always found Blackmores a reliable/respected brand. I used to take their Bio ACE (antioxidants as I have a family history of heart failure) and Nature's Own (I think) B Complex Forte daily. As Blackmores now have a Sustained Release MultiVitamin with Antioxidants I have changed to that and trying to skip the B Complex as it would duplicate - I do prefer to get my nutrients from food so take vitamins just for a small underlying dose.

Although I eat cheese and some yoghurt daily, I don't really drink milk so take calcium 3 days/week and on two or three of the other days I take Blackmores Bio Iron as I rarely eat red meat - it's apparently readily bio-available and won't cause the possible side effects of overdosing on iron.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    See if your Dr can run basic blood work to see if you are low/deficient in any vitamins currently (if you have health ins) most women only need a multi vitamin, some need additional supplements beyond that though. I try to get extra calcium ever since my Dr told me we can store extra calcium until we're 30 (women) then we are just trying to hang on to what we have.

Alot of vitamins make me sick personally so I used to take one-a-day prenatals (well before I was ever pregnant) now I take vitafusion gummy prenatals. THere is no harm in the extra DHA or folic acid
  • TooFit2Quit
    Options
    I take One-a-Day women's multivitamin
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I just got some GNC Women's multi-vitamins. I don't think they are Ultra Mega Active, they are a more all-purpose multi. (I don't have them in front of me to check the label at the moment.)

The ones I have reek to high heaven! I want to pass out when I open the bottle. Are yours like that?
  • bethie624
    bethie624 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take Womens Prenatal vitamins (even though I'm not pregnant or trying at all) I like that they help with my hair and nails. My doctor told me that they are fine to take daily.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Oops, forgot the 4 Fish Oil tablets I take each day due to a combination of low good fats and trying to stave off rheumatoid arthritis.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    See if your Dr can run basic blood work to see if you are low/deficient in any vitamins currently (if you have health ins) most women only need a multi vitamin, some need additional supplements beyond that though. I try to get extra calcium ever since my Dr told me we can store extra calcium until we're 30 (women) then we are just trying to hang on to what we have.
    I like the integrity of this post. FOR SURE, usually all you need is a multivitamin! If you're eating balanced foods then you should be fine. However, genetically we are predisposed to have more levels of some nutrients and less levels of others. I'm naturally iron deficient, and didn't find out until my DR pulled bloodwork and told me my iron stores in my body tend to not hold iron for long (that, and I'm a girl.. so every month I'm at a disadvantage LOL). It's good to get to know your body in that regard.
    Secondly, look at what you're naturally drawn to as far as foods go. If you like sweets, you might need an additional B supplement - if you're vegan or vegetarian or low animal meats, then a B complex is vital.
    If you crave salt a lot, you might need more water in general. Fat soluble vitamins are your answer here - especially D. D is great also if you live somewhere un-sunny (Seattle, for example. If you live in Seattle you need 3x more than the recommended daily amount due to the lack of sun. The recommended amounts are averaged to meet most people, not all.).
  • RasheedaR
    RasheedaR Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I take the Vitalizer with Iron for Women. They give me a ton of energy & are $ back guaranteed. They have everything you need in a strip that includes a probiotic, multi, omegas, and extra vitamin B & C. I was taking the Alive multi's but switched to these and feel a huge difference. Message me if you need to know where to get them.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options

I cannot say enough good things about these. LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options

I just got some GNC Women's multi-vitamins. I don't think they are Ultra Mega Active, they are a more all-purpose multi. (I don't have them in front of me to check the label at the moment.)

The ones I have reek to high heaven! I want to pass out when I open the bottle. Are yours like that?

I take the active and they do smell/taste icky but IMHO are so worth it. I can honestly feel the difference in my body when I miss them more than 1 day.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options

I take the active and they do smell/taste icky but IMHO are so worth it. I can honestly feel the difference in my body when I miss them more than 1 day.

Awesome info! I can easily bear it, but only if I feel it will be worth it. Thanks!

By the way, mine are Ultra Mega without iron and iodine, if anyone was curious. My iron tested high at the doc last time.
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I was taking womens multivitamins, but then stopped because they didnt seem like they were doing me any good....I was just trying to get a feel for what it is that I should take, if anything at all....

I definitely like the recommendation of going to my doctor and seeing if I need vitamins for any specific thing, that is a great idea. I will do that, and for now I guess I will just stick to taking a multivitamin. :smile:
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you need to take a supplement? If you have a good balanced diet then you dont need to take anything x
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you need to take a supplement? If you have a good balanced diet then you dont need to take anything x

Thats not true at all. Some people have a hard time absorbing certain things, and it can never hurt to make sure that you are getting everything that you need.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options

Thats not true at all. Some people have a hard time absorbing certain things, and it can never hurt to make sure that you are getting everything that you need.
    Oh I am terribly sorry I didn't realise that 12 years of being a medical scientist had me talking out of my *kitten*.

But if she has a hard time absorbing nutrients then the lab that ran her bloods that determined this fact will inform her GP and they will advise on what she need to take to be within normal range again.