Need low impact cardio ideas

Options
I'm just getting started and I have a long way to go. Literally just started last week and was feeling so good getting up early and doing 30-45 minutes on my elliptical. But then I noticed some pain in my right upper calf/back of knee. First I thought it was a knot in the muscle. Turns out it's a tilted kneecap. I need to stay off the elliptical and do quad strengthening exercises. I don't want to lose my motivation and need some cardio ideas I can do at home without buying new equipment. Hoping a little knee rest and these quad exercises will work and I'll be back on the elliptical soon.

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    walking at home with leslie swanson (not sure if exact name) walking outside? cardio at home is rather limiting. yoga can sometimes bring up your heart rate but its not very steady cardio. i would suggest swimming if you can go somewhere. you can bring up your hr pretty good by bending knees, tightening abs and punching the air, but 30 45 mins of that I would kill myself. but 30-45 mins on elliptical would also kill me.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Good shoes for walking. Also if you have a few steps, I have a set of 3 steps I walk up and down.
  • savvymommy13
    savvymommy13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    following!
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hula hoop?
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest barefoot/quiet cardio, sometimes called fusion. Ellen Barrett's Barefoot Cardio is my favorite, but, if plies (squats with toes pointed out like a ballerina) would irritate your knee, you can check out the different versions that Jessica Smith offers. They're all on YouTube. Good luck!
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Search for low-impact cardio on YouTube, and you'll find several. But be careful of anything you find from Millionaire Hoy. They may be low-impact (or as he calls them, "Silent but Deadly"...lol!), but they are tough!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike is easy on my knees - you could try it and see if it bothers yours.
  • amyf2000
    amyf2000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ice skating!